Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-08, 05:55 PM   #73
Lyme

Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

When looking at those stats, consider that the total weekly sales combined is less than 100,000 units.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 07:01 PM   #74
mullet

Is Evilchris in a coma or what?
Old 01-26-08, 10:10 PM   #75
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

Since MS supplies Sony with software for their Vaio's, would it be competing with the PS3 if they make a Blu-Ray add-on for the 360?

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 11:45 PM   #76
nicorulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
nicorulez and personal opinion apparently go hand in hand. the spewing of personal opinion about what people will do in the near future has left the end of this thread quite comical. you regurgitated the backing of BD, congratulations, your hypocritical comment about the use of google has bode well for you. you ignore facts like this, but because best buy will stop selling SD tvs means it the end of SD *gasp*. Are you serious here, are you using best buy as an argument? The average size of average Joe's television is ~32 inches, if you can tell the difference between an upconverted dvd and HDM from average viewing distance of 7' on this size set, I will laugh in your face. So until this average tv size starts increasing(which it currently is), HD sets have more than 25% of the market and the prices of HDM are at the prices of current dvds, only then will we see a large shift in the market. Business Economics 101. Until then we will be lucky if by the end of 2008 that dvd to HDM sales are better than 95:1. Learn and post some facts, maybe then will people in this thread respond to your posts seriously. If not keep posting, either way you are making this a hilarious thread.
In five years, there will be very few SD tv's. Moreover, if you have a good television you can definitely tell the difference between HD video and upconverted DVD. To deny it tells me your complete and utter ignorance. The average Joe, yourself obviously, felt the same way about DVD when it first came out. Guess what, VHS is essentially dead. The same will be the fate of DVD. Not now or anytime soon. However, if you are the least bit saavy, you will realize that DVD's will be retired as the medium of choice for most people in some years time....my opinion is five years (Are you happy now Imbroglio).
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-08, 11:52 PM   #77
nicorulez

Imbroglio, by the way your link is very helpful. 25 percent of the US household's have a HDTV. This is double the penetrance from two years ago. Assuming the same trend, in two years 50% will have HDTV's. In four years almost 100% of US households will have HDTV's. Thus, your argument actually contradicts you. HDTV's are being sold at a rapid clip....essentially doubling every two years. Now, if I owned a HDTV and in two years I could pick up a 50 dollar DVD player or 100-125 dollar HD player which one would I choose. I know what I would choose, but I assume you don't really care.
Old 01-27-08, 08:38 AM   #78
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

yep, I'm average joe, you pinned me you half-wit, again maybe you should attempt your hypocritical comment and try google out for yourself.

here's a nice little article about 'average joe'

given the average size of average joe's television and using this graph, I, once again, will continue to laugh in your face if you can tell me otherwise about upconverted dvds.

you know what the worst part is, I grabbed these links off of these forums. take some time, look around, learn something and then reply. you'll do everyone a favor.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 11:03 AM   #79
Despotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
... Now, if I owned a HDTV and in two years I could pick up a 50 dollar DVD player or 100-125 dollar HD player which one would I choose. I know what I would choose, but I assume you don't really care.
No need to wait 2 years--The Toshiba A3 can be purchased for $127.00 on Amazon and I'm sure other retailers will soon have it around the same $$.
Even if HD DVD loses to BluRay you have a decent upconverting player.
Asus 5870
74Gb Raptor/250GbHD/WD6400/1001
X-Fi Platinum
Silverstone Zeus 850
Dell 2405FPW
Klipsch 5.1 Ultra's
Lian Li PC73-SLB

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"

- Adolf Hitler, 1935
Despotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 11:51 AM   #80
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Imbroglio, by the way your link is very helpful. 25 percent of the US household's have a HDTV. This is double the penetrance from two years ago. Assuming the same trend, in two years 50% will have HDTV's. In four years almost 100% of US households will have HDTV's. Thus, your argument actually contradicts you. HDTV's are being sold at a rapid clip....essentially doubling every two years. Now, if I owned a HDTV and in two years I could pick up a 50 dollar DVD player or 100-125 dollar HD player which one would I choose. I know what I would choose, but I assume you don't really care.
idk where the hell you are getting these statistics.

please give some sort of reference. or if you dont have any, at least admit youre pulling numbers out of nowhere.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-08, 12:15 PM   #81
shteve

FWIW, here's a link to a graph showing what distance you have to be from a given screen size to be able to differentiate between 480 p and above:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/12/09...o-screen-size/

not sure where it got it's figures from, but I know the BBC did a similar test a couple of years back. 'tis why I'm sticking with my 37" Panny PW7 for the time being.
Old 01-27-08, 04:44 PM   #82
mumstheword

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet
Is Evilchris in a coma or what?

He sacrificed himself to satan, so hd-dvd can be revived.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 05:09 PM   #83
Burnt_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword
He sacrificed himself to satan, so hd-dvd can be revived.
cool! what a great guy! now i might not have ot turf my HD DVD player just yet i knew i shoulda bough a Blu-Ray Player ... wife's like, i told ya so!
Burnt_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 06:58 PM   #84
nicorulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
idk where the hell you are getting these statistics.

please give some sort of reference. or if you dont have any, at least admit youre pulling numbers out of nowhere.
Vin, you are both annoying and insipid. Why don't you click on Imbroglio's link. If you are so dense, I will educate you. If you can't deduce the numbers, then God be with you.

http://broadcastengineering.com/hdtv...-hd-confusion/

BTW, why is it suddenly vogue to compare plain ole DVD to Blu Ray. Is it because the HD DVD nuthhuggers know they have lost the battle (war?). Oh well, technology will continue to march on and leave you behind.