Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-08, 09:41 PM   #109
brady
I'm like everyone else.
 
brady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,376
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Some of those Amaxon reviews are really funny.

Quote:
I recently picked up this book at a local retailer that had it on sale. Based on the picture of the author on the cover, I thought it was about adults with learning disabilities
Quote:
I picked up this book hoping for a witty and cogent defense of perfectionism, a value too often trashed these days by the prevailing "only human" crowd, but I was to be sorely, and nauseatingly disappointed. Put simply, the title of this book is not only misleading but an outright lie; nowhere within its (mercifully) few pages is the subject of perfection, or human personality for that matter, even hinted at. The work instead, being nothing more than a pack of the most sordid, lurid, and distasteful literary pornography one is ever likely to encounter. Dealing with the subjects of sodomy, incest, pedophilia, and even mild bestiality, this abominable book not only covers the gamut of mankind's vilest depredations but encourages their practice! Among children, no less!! Page after horrific page detailing the horrendous perversions of one despicable degenerate after another, and this from a book placed brazenly where anyone can see it! That such filth can even find a publisher in the United States, let alone be marketed so falsely, makes one weep for the future of this society.
Quote:
From what I have heard, this book is not just pornographic and ethically-repulsive, it is dangerous. Unlike the video game and movie industries, the publishing industry is not regulated by a ratings authority. There is no mechanism in place to inform parents about the contents of this book, or any other book, before allowing their children to read.

This book's title seems positive, when the actual book is anything but. The effort of the author and publishing company to market this book towards children is disturbing to say the least. While they claim that this book is actually marketed towards young adult women there is not yet an effective way to stop children from purchasing this book. The purveyors know this and see it as nothing more than an advantage to their bottom line.
__________________
C2Q @ 3.6GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2 | EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 10:25 PM   #110
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumstheword
Looks like Cooper Lawrence's book isn't doing too well;

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...DateDescending

I wonder how many people actually read the book. I don't necessarily agree with people passing judgment on a something without having experienced it, but that's exactly what this psychologist and everyone involved did during this report .

Lesson is, don't piss off gamers.
How incredibly petty. You guys actually think this is funny? How old are you kids? You guys take what she said and got all hot and bothered over if for nothing. None of you dealt with content of her argument which is games like these are bad for children. No instead you guys cheer on crap like this.

This is why I hate gamers and the gaming community. It is void of happiness, anything meaningful and any sense of decency. Basically gamers are stuck in the 8th grade. You go into any game and listen to them and it is a free-for-all of stupidity. Yet you guys want to put this woman down because she has more to her life than a computer? What a joke.

Look what happens. You say one thing against a game and all hell breaks loose. Then like a bunch of geeks idiots flock to try and destroy anything that gets in their twisted way.

Bunch of friking morons you guys are. OH NOES! she didn't actually play the game. Oh and like anyone who trashed her book on Amazon read it. The hypocrisy alone is embarrassing.

Again back to her points.

Are violent games bad for children? Yes
Are games like this marketed towards kids? Hell yes. Any of you who say they are not are full of crap. I was sitting with my son watching TV and one of these commercials came on. Oh yeah my son's first reaction was "cool". You guys hate corporations but you will defend video game corporations because they give you what you want.

All you guys want to do is act like a bunch of morons because some of this game's content was over exaggerated. It doesn't matter if she is right on the rest of her points but DAMN IT SHE DIDN"T PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!!!11111

Pathetic!
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:27 PM   #111
mezkal
Registered User
 
mezkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ...Twisting the Vertices of Reality...
Posts: 358
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Calling you a name is pointless Joe, just keeping posting as you do and things seem to work out just fine.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e6750
Gigabyte N650i DS4 Motherboard
4GB PC 6400 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:27 PM   #112
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

nVjoe,

What about R-rated movies? It's just as easy to buy a movie as it is to buy a game. The sex scenes in most R-rated movies totally blows away anything in video games.

They advertise for these movies all the time.

So maybe they should only make movies that are suitable for children and we can live in a world that is suitable for 8 and 10 year old children.

People are attacking this lady because what she says is idiotic. The game is intended for adults. Just as R-rated movies are intended for adults. And God forbid a poor innocent child should catch a glimpse of the side of a woman's breast.

EDIT: I appreciate you want to protect your child but banning and censoring everything that may not be suitable for a child is really not the way.
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:34 PM   #113
mezkal
Registered User
 
mezkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ...Twisting the Vertices of Reality...
Posts: 358
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Joe is all bent out of shape because he can't actually argue his points with any logic. He conveniently ignored the thread and posts that basically whooped his metaphorical ass until he was lucky enough to find something else to yell at us about. Oh yeah, and he got put his mantra/love song to Cooper Lawrence in another post too. woo.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e6750
Gigabyte N650i DS4 Motherboard
4GB PC 6400 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-08, 11:49 PM   #114
Yaboze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Gamers are pissed because a so called expert goes on a news show slamming a game with no facts about the game itself. She doesn't have to be a gamer to get respect. If you are going to talk about a subject, at least do some research beforehand. If she was serious, she should have sat down with the game for few hours and seen what it's about. Not even in that amount of time would she even see anything in question (not sure when those scenes start in the game). What people did to her Amazon page is wrong but maybe she'll learn her lession next time. People in the News media need to be accountable for what they say on the air because what they are doing is worse than what they are blaming Mass Effect about. The media is just pissed that video games are starting to overpower movies and TV because they can't get their crap together.

Video games are under a lot of scrutiny lately and gamers fear that stuff like this will be the beginning of the end for gaming.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 02:37 AM   #115
Camp0rz
*BANNED*
 
Camp0rz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: black hills
Posts: 2,226
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

She looks like a man.

and she has two male names ffs.

edit:

Camp0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 09:30 AM   #116
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?
 
thor1182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 812
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

my question is why nvjoe is even posting on a website that's core audience is gamers and saying how pathetic they are. So does he really hate himself that much? I mean he used to be addicted to WoW, he is a gamer... so wtf?
__________________
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-08, 10:39 AM   #117
brady
I'm like everyone else.
 
brady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,376
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
How incredibly petty. You guys actually think this is funny? How old are you kids? You guys take what she said and got all hot and bothered over if for nothing. None of you dealt with content of her argument which is games like these are bad for children. No instead you guys cheer on crap like this.

This is why I hate gamers and the gaming community. It is void of happiness, anything meaningful and any sense of decency. Basically gamers are stuck in the 8th grade. You go into any game and listen to them and it is a free-for-all of stupidity. Yet you guys want to put this woman down because she has more to her life than a computer? What a joke.

Look what happens. You say one thing against a game and all hell breaks loose. Then like a bunch of geeks idiots flock to try and destroy anything that gets in their twisted way.

Bunch of friking morons you guys are. OH NOES! she didn't actually play the game. Oh and like anyone who trashed her book on Amazon read it. The hypocrisy alone is embarrassing.

Again back to her points.

Are violent games bad for children? Yes
Are games like this marketed towards kids? Hell yes. Any of you who say they are not are full of crap. I was sitting with my son watching TV and one of these commercials came on. Oh yeah my son's first reaction was "cool". You guys hate corporations but you will defend video game corporations because they give you what you want.

All you guys want to do is act like a bunch of morons because some of this game's content was over exaggerated. It doesn't matter if she is right on the rest of her points but DAMN IT SHE DIDN"T PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!!!11111

Pathetic!
For the record I do think what many people are doing in trashing her book is pretty juvenile and I actually do agree that violent games can have a negative effect on kids. Nevertheless, it's also true that I chuckled a few times while reading the Amazon reviews.
__________________
C2Q @ 3.6GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2 | EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 10:59 AM   #118
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
For the record I do think what many people are doing in trashing her book is pretty juvenile and I actually do agree that violent games can have a negative effect on kids. Nevertheless, it's also true that I chuckled a few times while reading the Amazon reviews.
tbh, kids that are affected by violent videogames and become violent people are just as likely to become violent from TV. many kids/young adults understand the difference between fantasy and reality. anyone who doesnt, has the propensity to become psychotic and will probably be affected by another source if not by videogames.

blaming videogames is just scapegoating.

my two cents.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 01:59 PM   #119
mumstheword
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 509
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
How incredibly petty. You guys actually think this is funny? How old are you kids? You guys take what she said and got all hot and bothered over if for nothing. None of you dealt with content of her argument which is games like these are bad for children. No instead you guys cheer on crap like this.

This is why I hate gamers and the gaming community. It is void of happiness, anything meaningful and any sense of decency. Basically gamers are stuck in the 8th grade. You go into any game and listen to them and it is a free-for-all of stupidity. Yet you guys want to put this woman down because she has more to her life than a computer? What a joke.

Look what happens. You say one thing against a game and all hell breaks loose. Then like a bunch of geeks idiots flock to try and destroy anything that gets in their twisted way.

Bunch of friking morons you guys are. OH NOES! she didn't actually play the game. Oh and like anyone who trashed her book on Amazon read it. The hypocrisy alone is embarrassing.

Again back to her points.

Are violent games bad for children? Yes
Are games like this marketed towards kids? Hell yes. Any of you who say they are not are full of crap. I was sitting with my son watching TV and one of these commercials came on. Oh yeah my son's first reaction was "cool". You guys hate corporations but you will defend video game corporations because they give you what you want.

All you guys want to do is act like a bunch of morons because some of this game's content was over exaggerated. It doesn't matter if she is right on the rest of her points but DAMN IT SHE DIDN"T PLAY THE GAME!!!!!!!!11111

Pathetic!
For a guy who hates the video gaming community, you sure do spend alot of time here. Maybe you need to take some time to cool off, because this anger problem of yours leads to alot of silly and incoherent arguments.

I mean, you're passing off your son's reaction to a video game commercial as proof that video games are marketed towards children. Even mature games. This is the same type of petty proof that this psychologist was using to back up her claims.

Obviously, you missed the irony behind why the gamer's went on Amazon to post poor reviews.
__________________
q6600@3.0ghz
8800GTS-320mb 650/1000
4gb ram
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-08, 02:01 PM   #120
mumstheword
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 509
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
I'd marry Cooper Lawrence.
You seem to be attracted to butterface females.
__________________
q6600@3.0ghz
8800GTS-320mb 650/1000
4gb ram
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.