Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-08, 01:19 AM   #61
mezkal
Registered User
 
mezkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ...Twisting the Vertices of Reality...
Posts: 358
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Here is the basic argument they were making. Are these games good for kids? No. Are these games marketed towards kids? Yes. Should kids be playing these games? No. Do parents have a responsibility to monitor their children especially when these games are around? Yes. Did they mention the government banning these games? No.
Studied journalism much? If you have then you haven't learned much. There's no such thing as 'basic argument' in terms of journalism. Making basic arguments is just sharing opinions. Journalists are employed to discuss facts, not share opinions. Opinions are to be discussed by the Editor and nobody on that panel was the Fox News Editor. FOX News made an article regarding a specific XBOX 360 game's content, yet they treated as a spring board towards sharing the opinion that such adult content should not be shared with children. When pushed for facts they only avoided factual discussion and centered on disseminating their own opinions and snubbing those whose expert opinion they supposedly sought.

Quote:
None of you who disagree with them have a damn leg to stand on. You just don't like the fact that there are people out there that find some of these games put out to be disgusting. Too bad deal with it.
No actually it is you who has no factual leg to support your point of view, just opinion. Opinion is fine and you're welcome to it but don't try to dress it up as fact, otherwise you look as sensationalist and ridiculous as the article being discussed here. That's the truth. Deal with that.

Quote:
Not one of you can say these games are good for children. Not one of you can say these games are NOT marketed towards children. You are all smart people (except mezkal, he is a tit) and know this to be true whether you like it or not.
These games aren't aimed at children. Games like movies are rated by their sexual and violent content and if parents don't manage the dissemination of said content to their children then they are in fact being irresponsible in their roles as parents and indeed may even be breaking the law. You are not as smart as you think and pandering to people by singling someone out in calling him a name (by tit are you referring to the bird or the breast? be accurate and factual) is something that most people grew past when they left grade school. Your argument is flawed and weak and you know it, otherwise why would you resort to such pathetic behaviour?

Quote:
You are all over reacting to this.
No, Fox overreacted irrationally to sensationalise something that isn't really an issue and others who see this are commenting on their overreaction.

Quote:
And I will post more posts in a row if I DAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT!

hugs and kisses UDawg
If doing so excites you then do so. It seem you enjoy a good brown nose too.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e6750
Gigabyte N650i DS4 Motherboard
4GB PC 6400 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:31 AM   #62
MowTin
 
MowTin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,205
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
: :
Look, my point is that nudity and pornography were banned even in a totally anti-Christian governments like the Soviet Union.

Is nudity ok in India? You may object and say India is prudish because of the Hindu majority. Then what about China? What's their excuse?

Here is my theory. Nudity strips us of all our pretentions and status indicators. Naked we look like hairless apes and societies find that frightening. So it's banned and nudity becomes taboo and thrilling.
__________________
i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz | 480 GTX | 3x2GB OCZ Gold | x58 3SLI | X-Fi Extreme Gamer | Samsung 226BW | Samsung 4665F LCD HDTV | Kenwood 500W receiver

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:36 AM   #63
mezkal
Registered User
 
mezkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ...Twisting the Vertices of Reality...
Posts: 358
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

That's not your theory. It's Freud's.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e6750
Gigabyte N650i DS4 Motherboard
4GB PC 6400 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 01:36 AM   #64
methimpikehoses
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
Look, my point is that nudity and pornography were banned even in a totally anti-Christian governments like the Soviet Union.

Is nudity ok in India? You may object and say India is prudish because of the Hindu majority. Then what about China? What's their excuse?

Here is my theory. Nudity strips us of all our pretentions and status indicators. Naked we look like hairless apes and societies find that frightening. So it's banned and nudity becomes taboo and thrilling.
Agree, so why is it banned in the US? I think it is due in large part to Christian morality, specifically the story of Adam and Eve becoming aware of their nudity in the garden.

Anything that is banned becomes taboo and thrilling... that's why it seems so retarded to go apecrap over some game and banning it... making it all the more desireable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 06:50 AM   #65
Badboy_12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,362
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
You know America was founded by prudes… prudes who left Europe because they were offended by all the steamy, kinky sex that was going on?’


so all the violence in mass effect is totally fine but a bare ass and whole hell breaks lose?

But I understand.. they have become numb to violence after all the torture they have done throughout the ages

crazy zealot christians
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 08:17 AM   #66
ralinn
Masters
 
ralinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK, England, Portsmouth
Posts: 1,675
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Eeep, clearly I clicked the wrong link and stepped into Politics and Religion!
__________________
(CPU) Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz @ 1600MHz (ASUSTeK Computer INC. P6T DELUXE mainboard) (RAM) 3GB (HDD) 931GB
(GFX) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 (1GB), 1680x1050x32, 59Hz (OS) Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium (SP1)

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 10:54 AM   #67
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Here is the basic argument they were making. Are these games good for kids? No. Are these games marketed towards kids? Yes. Should kids be playing these games? No. Do parents have a responsibility to monitor their children especially when these games are around? Yes. Did they mention the government banning these games? No.

None of you who disagree with them have a damn leg to stand on. You just don't like the fact that there are people out there that find some of these games put out to be disgusting. Too bad deal with it.

Not one of you can say these games are good for children. Not one of you can say these games are NOT marketed towards children. You are all smart people (except mezkal, he is a tit) and know this to be true whether you like it or not.

You are all over reacting to this. And I will post more posts in a row if I DAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT!

hugs and kisses UDawg

Oh an crainger, you can be my mass effect any time sailor. I see you down there.
mezcackle or what ever his name is danced around this post. When he or anyone can show me a study that say that these types of games are good for children then we can begin to have an argument. Until then shut ur pie-hole. So go ahead, make the argument that these games are good for children. Come on.

Yeah I'm calling you names because you are an idiot. You dance all around the issue and throw out your dislike of Fox news which has nothing to do with the topic.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 11:20 AM   #68
mezkal
Registered User
 
mezkal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ...Twisting the Vertices of Reality...
Posts: 358
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

NVJoe :

You fail in debating probably because you fail to grasp the very nature of discussion.

Yes, its likely true that some people find games with sex and violence in them to be 'disgusting'. That, however, wasn't what we were discussing, it's what YOU seem to be centered on and that's how stupid people like you discuss. You find one thing to focus on which isn't the actual focal point of discussion and then call people who find your subject matter irrelevant to the discussion (which it plainly is) idiots when it's actually you who lacks the basic grasp of how a discussion works. I didn't dance around your post, I debated the points that you raised (as infantile and as uninformed as they seemed to be) using factual knowledge.

You, on the other hand, seem to think that calling me a name whilst ignoring my points of view AND the facts at play that pertain to the discussion at hand is some sort of way to portray yourself as informed or relevant. You're neither and you probably will never learn why.

Your and my opinion on the nature of sex and violence in games doesn't matter here, it's a FOX News article that centers around Mass Effect's sexual imagery that is being discussed. If you want to discuss a matter that, as you said, has already been mass debated (a pun just in case you missed it) here 'many times' then make a thread and I'll gladly debate you on the matter. Otherwise stick to the subject at hand or take your own advice and shut your pie-hole (not that hard to spell properly when you try).

You're calling me names because, intellectually, it's the best you can do.
__________________
Core 2 Duo e6750
Gigabyte N650i DS4 Motherboard
4GB PC 6400 Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-08, 11:39 AM   #69
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
NVJoe :

You fail in debating probably because you fail to grasp the very nature of discussion.

Yes, its likely true that some people find games with sex and violence in them to be 'disgusting'. That, however, wasn't what we were discussing, it's what YOU seem to centered on and that's how stupid people like you discuss. You find one thing to focus on which isn't the actual focal point of discussion and then call people who find your subject matter irrelevant to the discussion (which it plainly is) idiots when it's actually you who lacks the basic grasp of how a discussion works. I didn't dance around your post, I debated the points that you raised (as infantile and as uninformed as they seemed to be) using factual knowledge.
You are talking out your ass again. I boiled down what they were talking about and you cannot rebut it.

Answer these damn question. Oh no need, I provided the answers for you.
Are these games bad for children? Yes
Are these games marketed towards children? Yes
Do parents have a responsibility to protect their children? Yes
Does the constant barrage of these types of games make it harder and harder for parents to protect their children? Yes


I have a child, do you? I am constantly telling him no, no, no. Then I have to explain why I say no. Later I have to explain what the crap he sees at school from his friends is about. Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

The only tactic you have been using is that I don't grasp this. LOL! All you have brought up is the parental control feature on the xbox360. That is such a tiny part of the discussion that it isn't funny. And why is this? Simple bad parents make a impact on good parents from their bad choices.

Again when you can point to a study that says this stuff it good for children then we can talk.

Quote:
You, on the other hand, seem to think that calling me a name whilst ignoring my points of view AND the facts at play that pertain to the discussion at hand as a platform from which you can seem informed or relevant. You're neither and you probably will never learn why.
Yeah because you are an idiot. Oh it was fine in all the other threads when you displayed your religious bigotry but the moment someone comes out and calls you what you are you want to get pissy? Grow a pair!

Quote:
Your and my opinion on the nature of sex and violence in games doesn't matter here, it's a FOX News article that centers around Mass Effect's sexual imagery that is being discussed. If you want to discuss a matter that, as you said, has already been mass debated (a pun just in case you missed it) here 'many times' then make a thread and I'll gladly debate you on the matter. Otherwise stick to the subject at hand or take your own advice and shut your pie-hole (not that hard to spell properly when you try).
The topic is are these types of games bad for children? that is the topic. You don't like Fox News even bringing up the topic because you don't like how they talked about Mass Effect. Mass Effect was just the example they used. Mass Effect is tame compared to some of the games out there but the point is Mass Effect is very violent and contains sex. End of discussion. We have both played the game and know what it is about. And your only reply is "well xbox and a parental control feature". LOL! How shallow and simple do you have to be to think that solves the problem or removes any responsibility from the game producers who market these games towards kids. LOL!
Quote:
You're calling me names because, intellectually, it's the best you can do.
Nah, I go after people such as your self who have a unique gift at being an idiot. If I had some respect for you I would treat you much differently. As it stands now you are just another demigod for gaming geeks.

I will allow you the last words on this topic. LOL!
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:35 PM   #70
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
Because we have a culture of shame propagated by Christian fanatics.
What? Is this the new thing or something? Let's blame it on religion.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:38 PM   #71
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses
Agree, so why is it banned in the US? I think it is due in large part to Christian morality, specifically the story of Adam and Eve becoming aware of their nudity in the garden.

Anything that is banned becomes taboo and thrilling... that's why it seems so retarded to go apecrap over some game and banning it... making it all the more desireable.
If you think America is a society based on Christian morals you are basically dead wrong. When I was growing up it was pretty common place to have sex before marriage, drink heavily, watch porn, etc etc
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 12:38 PM   #72
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: [Mass Effect] Fox News Is Shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin
Wow, I guess you're right. Life would be so much better if America was an atheist society and government. I'm sure nudity would be celebrated in such a society.

Hmm...if only we knew an example of an atheist society and government



So much for that theory
That Wikipedia quote is really interesting.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.