Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-08, 09:27 PM   #1
Dvahlish

Default Maces....swords?

Lvl 65 Rogue
Subtley specced with 10 points in assas.

Considering swapping from swords to maces...

Anyone tried this combo?
Pros....cons?
Old 01-29-08, 10:05 PM   #2
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Re: Maces....swords?

Pro's, you get the random stun, which is very good for a rogue. Con's, You lose the chance of extra hits. If you're DW with 2 swords, and have sword spec, you have a far greater chance of doing more damage due to 10% extra hit chance, compared to 10% chance to stun where you get hit less. (It's still only 5% for each, but with DW 2 of each, it's effectively doubled)
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 10:11 PM   #3
Dvahlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf
Pro's, you get the random stun, which is very good for a rogue. Con's, You lose the chance of extra hits. If you're DW with 2 swords, and have sword spec, you have a far greater chance of doing more damage due to 10% extra hit chance, compared to 10% chance to stun where you get hit less. (It's still only 5% for each, but with DW 2 of each, it's effectively doubled)
Yes you are right.
I have respecced her a few times...Levelled with combat swords which worked nicely, then changed to sub swords...which also worked nicely.
I changed to maces for the stun.....Im starting to think a mace combat build will suit me better.

Noone can say I havent tried everything poss with my rogue
Oh..shes mainly pvp as well.
Old 01-30-08, 08:23 AM   #4
Tr1cK
not coming back

I've never played one past 30 or so, but how bout a dual spec?

Carry a mace in the offhand and sword in the main?

Also, I know on warriors, the stun proc rate is reduced when dual wielding compared to 2h/
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 01:51 PM   #5
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

On warriors, yes, because apparently it's overpowered.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 03:43 PM   #6
Dvahlish

Respecced last night, went and killed low lvl beats for about an hour to get my mace skill up.
Seems to be working well.
I went for a combat mace spec in the end and Im finding it to be quite powerful.
Of course adrenaline rush, riposte and blade fury help a lot!
I am finding that stun does proc quite a bit, which is nice.

I do miss my sub spec though.
Old 01-30-08, 04:12 PM   #7
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvahlish
Lvl 65 Rogue
Subtley specced with 10 points in assas.

Considering swapping from swords to maces...

Anyone tried this combo?
Pros....cons?
The only people who go mace are PVPers because of the nice maces you can get with honor points. That being said no one goes maces because there are better swords and daggers out there.

That being said stay combat for leveling. If you go into PVP then I prefer Cold Blood and Prep combo. I haven't been a rouge for over a year so I don't know how much different the talent trees are.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 04:14 PM   #8
nVJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf
True dat. Rogues need to get in and get out quickly. This is why I prefer cold blood and prep.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-08, 11:59 AM   #9
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
The only people who go mace are PVPers because of the nice maces you can get with honor points. That being said no one goes maces because there are better swords and daggers out there.

That being said stay combat for leveling. If you go into PVP then I prefer Cold Blood and Prep combo. I haven't been a rouge for over a year so I don't know how much different the talent trees are.
People go maces because of the stun proc in PVP, not because the maces are nice (all the PVP one hander types have the same stats). The current favored Rogue arena build is a combat mace / Hemo build. But yeah, combat swords for leveling definitely.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 07:14 PM   #10
lIqUID
whip yo ass!

I went combat maces for all of an hour and completely hated it. My hit is a bit too low for any full combat spec, so I went back to my current hemo ar/prep build. I don't care what the crybabies in forums babble about HARP is a very good spec, and I easily kill well geared combat rogues.

armory Liq on the realm Lethon, and try that spec out. I haven't played much on my rogue since I leveled my lock to 70 but if my alts get ganked thats who I'd use.

i7 930@3.8ghz on Noctua NH-U12P
Evga x58 LE
MSI GTX 480 formerly known as HIS HD5870
128 gig Crucial m4/80 gig Intel X25-M ssd/500 gb WD
750 watt Corsair TX
Coolermaster HAF-X

if my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour you're gonna to see some serious sh!t.
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-08, 08:07 PM   #11
Dvahlish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIqUID
I went combat maces for all of an hour and completely hated it. My hit is a bit too low for any full combat spec, so I went back to my current hemo ar/prep build. I don't care what the crybabies in forums babble about HARP is a very good spec, and I easily kill well geared combat rogues.

armory Liq on the realm Lethon, and try that spec out. I haven't played much on my rogue since I leveled my lock to 70 but if my alts get ganked thats who I'd use.
I agree HARP is fine, I was geared that way before going back to combat mace and I may go that way again after 70, but right now Im loving combat mace.
Harp owned in the BG's and cloth wearers hated me.
Im sure Ill grow tired of it eventually and change, but right now Im pretty happy.
Old 02-01-08, 03:31 AM   #12
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
True dat. Rogues need to get in and get out quickly. This is why I prefer cold blood and prep.
Rogues suck IMO.

Not long ago I had this 40 rogue come and ambush me while I was fighting a mob, had like half of my health gone, fighting inside of a bush, and by the time I realized somebody else was there it was too late. I nearly got away but he did me in.

So I come back and res, then find him fighting a mob, only he has most of his health (like 97%) unlike me when he tried this same stunt. So here I come, 37 druid, 3 levels lower than him, pounce from stealth, claw the **** out of him, stun then moonfire dot, retreat and heal, then come back and finish the job.

Apparently he was doing the same stunt to other people in the area (stranglethorn vale) only just before he lost he would vanish and run off each time. Little hit n' run f*cker didn't count on my faerie fire to squash that little plan.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote