Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-08, 09:21 AM   #1
grey_1

Default Positive pressure vs negative for cooling

I found a couple of older threads, but we have new folks here also with their own ideas...

So I'm wondering what some of your experiences are. I'm designing a case from scratch basically, and I've read a ton of discussions over the pros and cons of both. If it makes a difference, there will be absolutely nothing in between the front and rear fans but mobo and the usual equipment.

It seems to me that negative would be best, as air pulled into the case wouldn't have the time to warm up, that there would be a smoother, more consistent flow of air. Given correct fan placement of course.

What are your opinions guys? Thanks.
Old 01-27-08, 09:53 AM   #2
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon
Default Re: Positive pressure vs negative for cooling

But it would acumulate more dust no ?
It's ages since I red about these things, but I think it was positive pressure makes dust stay way.

I got tired of having so many fans in my system so I removed most of the extra ones. Kept one 80mm in the front where my HDDs are mounted so it blows some air onto them.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 10:22 AM   #3
mullet

Positive pressure always.

1. this will keep dust from entering the case.
2. this will make it to where you can predict the air flow in your case from the front intake to the rear exhaust.
3. the whole secret is to change the air in the case as fast as you can, with less noise. I would use 120mm fans only if possible.

My case has 3 120mm for intake and 2 120mm exhaust with a 6-fan adjustment controller. This way I can keep a positive pressure inside the case.
Old 01-27-08, 10:44 AM   #4
grey_1

At the moment I have (All on paper only at this point) 3 120mm exhaust and 2 intake. The intakes will be filtered of course. Nice thing about this is it's easy for me to change at this point.

I'm also trying to build this so I can add water later, so I'll be able to drop the number of fans.
Old 01-27-08, 04:06 PM   #5
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I found a couple of older threads, but we have new folks here also with their own ideas...

So I'm wondering what some of your experiences are. I'm designing a case from scratch basically, and I've read a ton of discussions over the pros and cons of both. If it makes a difference, there will be absolutely nothing in between the front and rear fans but mobo and the usual equipment.

It seems to me that negative would be best, as air pulled into the case wouldn't have the time to warm up, that there would be a smoother, more consistent flow of air. Given correct fan placement of course.

What are your opinions guys? Thanks.
Hello again , I have had this idea for some time , so here goes , Firstly my college tutor laughed at me fot this , but i'm willing to take a chance.

We have air cooled

We have water cooled

But what about liquid nitrogen!!!!!!!!
My thoughts are these , if a core of liquid nitrogen were rapped in a composite material , (engineers your thoughts), so as to allow a certain amount of coldness to be against components such as the cpu , graphics card etc, there
would be no need for fans nor anything else.

Love to know what you guys think of this!

On topic though, i wouid go for positive , thus minimising dust.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-08, 04:15 PM   #6
grey_1

LOl, Ln2 is waaaay more hardcore than anything I would personally play with.

I'm taking you guys advice though, and will be setting this up for positive airflow. Thanks.
Old 01-27-08, 04:16 PM   #7
XDanger
Whaaat?

http://www.tomshardware.com/2003/12/30/5_ghz_project/
Old 01-27-08, 04:21 PM   #8
Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
My minds eye did not foresee frost, rather a nice small square attached to the cpu no bigger than a heatsink, but thanks for the picture from Toms Hardware

Old 01-27-08, 04:29 PM   #9
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd
My minds eye did not foresee frost, rather a nice small square attached to the cpu no bigger than a heatsink, but thanks for the picture from Toms Hardware
Storing the Ln2 in the container you mention would be problematic, not to mention how dangerous that substance is. I worked with it of and on a few years back and would just as soon keep my distance.

Chilled water is another story though. Nothing drastic as I'm not a hardcore overclocker like some here. A TEC set up....maybe. I have 2-3 months to decide, so no hurry.
Old 01-27-08, 04:32 PM   #10
Drolfrawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Storing the Ln2 in the container you mention would be problematic, not to mention how dangerous that substance is. I worked with it of and on a few years back and would just as soon keep my distance.

Chilled water is another story though. Nothing drastic as I'm not a hardcore overclocker like some here. A TEC set up....maybe. I have 2-3 months to decide, so no hurry.

Lol It was just a mad idea i had at college.
Old 01-27-08, 04:49 PM   #11
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd
Lol It was just a mad idea i had at college.
Just make sure you post pics if you ever actually find a way to pull it off.
Old 01-27-08, 04:52 PM   #12
Drolfrawd

[quote=grey_1]Just make sure you post pics if you ever actually find a way to pull it off. [/QUOTE

Probs never happen , but i will post if i ever do