Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-08, 05:11 AM   #13
dxx

Default Re: Is Creative Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
Creative are not dead but with any luck their consumer sound cards will be. They mistreat their consumer sound card customers with unstable drivers, forced obsolescence and a support infrastructure which ignores the customer should they have any technical issues.

They aren't a great deal kinder to their professional customers. For their USB audio interface customers, it took them six months to get around to uploading the drivers to the website and non-Beta Vista drivers still aren't out, and for the PCI and PCMCIA interface customers, the choice is between a buggy release of the drivers and mixer software from 2005, or an incredibly buggy beta set from 2007. As these bugs cause either the hanging of the audio mixer software or the DAW software, they're work-destroying killers.

Creative can go to hell and die.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 06:46 AM   #14
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxx
Creative can go to hell and die.
You don't have to sugar-coat it.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 10:11 AM   #15
Riptide

Auztentech is good but their support isn't much better than creative.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 11:18 AM   #16
Dr.Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
Yea, pretty much with Vista and good onboard HD audio, you don't need the expensive XFI that still has cracking issues even with newer chipsets.

I think Creative hit a wall when it comes to these cards so if they want to be anygood, they need to move to better PCI-e offerings instead of the crap out now.
In all honesty ever since moving to intel based boards my X-Fi has been flawless. No crackling, no popping, and no bsod's. I also much prefer it to my on-board audio solution which I hear is quite good.
Also pci-e will not make X-Fi's any better than they already are. In fact pci is probably better for sound going by the numerous articles out there.
Old 01-28-08, 12:10 PM   #17
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

I'd never use anything else unless it can utilize less CPU cycles and keep my frame rate consistent. Anyone else out there than can do that while giving me excellent sound quality to boot? Thats what I thought.
Old 01-28-08, 12:17 PM   #18
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Creative hasn't supported the latest x-fi cards for almost a year now - FOR US XP OWNERS. Plenty of Vista updates though. They can lick my nuts until they decide to send a driver our way. Not to mention the last few drivers for XP were sh*t beta's, I think they released like 2 official drivers for XP?

Second, back in 2006 I said onboard memory for a sound card was premature.

2 years later, has any game actually used much of the ram on those cards? I mean, more than the 2 or 4MB the cheapest card has? I saw thpse fatility cards with 64mb and chuckled everytime I saw them, talk about an overpriced pointless upgrade, e-penis for teh win.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-08, 12:28 PM   #19
BronzeGod
Kanye West is emo

Thats why I have the eXtreme music. everything else they had was like
Old 01-28-08, 12:59 PM   #20
Slammin

Abit fixed the crackling issues with a bios update, so I'm very pleased with my card.

Folks sure do love to hate Creative though but really, I have no complaints, and it certainly does sound better than my onboard HDaudio, which sounds really good too.

Is Creative done? I don't think so. Do I see a need for a new sound card anytime soon in my rig? Not likely.
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-08, 01:09 PM   #21
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
Creative hasn't supported the latest x-fi cards for almost a year now - FOR US XP OWNERS. Plenty of Vista updates though. They can lick my nuts until they decide to send a driver our way. Not to mention the last few drivers for XP were sh*t beta's, I think they released like 2 official drivers for XP?

Second, back in 2006 I said onboard memory for a sound card was premature.

2 years later, has any game actually used much of the ram on those cards? I mean, more than the 2 or 4MB the cheapest card has? I saw thpse fatility cards with 64mb and chuckled everytime I saw them, talk about an overpriced pointless upgrade, e-penis for teh win.
new xp beta driver is out, final any day.

onboard sound cards have no memory, and x-ram was something that simply didn't took off, sound card doesn't really need memory, but if game developers would utilize it correctly it wouldn't hurt either.
Old 01-28-08, 01:13 PM   #22
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Auztentech is good but their support isn't much better than creative.
problem with auzentech is that basically can't provide their own support.

their old cards were based on c-media, c-media didn't give a **** about auzentech, and took longer then a year to release final driver for a product that been on a market for a year.

with x-fi prelude, auzentech had already 3-5 driver updates from creative, much better support
Old 01-28-08, 01:15 PM   #23
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeGod
I'd never use anything else unless it can utilize less CPU cycles and keep my frame rate consistent. Anyone else out there than can do that while giving me excellent sound quality to boot? Thats what I thought.

in vista, you do need alchemy, for instance i was trying to play simcity4 without alchemy and i was barelly getting 4-5fps, game was unplayable. bought x-fi installed alchemy and now game is flawless.

lack of good directsound3d support huts older games. alchemy can translate directsound3d calls to openal.
Old 01-29-08, 09:44 AM   #24
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
new xp beta driver is out, final any day.

onboard sound cards have no memory, and x-ram was something that simply didn't took off, sound card doesn't really need memory, but if game developers would utilize it correctly it wouldn't hurt either.
yeah but the same can be said about ageia cards....if developers would utilize it...
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote