Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-08, 05:55 PM   #1
|MaguS|

Default XBLive Limits causing issues for SF2HD

http://kotaku.com/350621/xbla-limits...turbo-hd-remix

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/01/30/xb...ems-for-sf2hd/

Seems like Capcom is having trouble fitting Street Fighter 2 HD into the 150MB limitation that XBLive requires. I can see where there coming from, I mean non HD 2D Games have been filling CDs since the Dreamcast and being how they are trying to remix all the audio and provide 1080p quality 2D Images I dout the possibility of fitting this all in 150MB. I wonder if there is going to be a difference between the PSN and XBLive versions now due to the restrictions.
Old 01-30-08, 06:08 PM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: XBLive Limits causing issues for SF2HD

1. 150MB download limit is stupid.

2. im sure they could use better compression or something. see my link. watch the video, then realize that its 179KB

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30244
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 06:16 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
1. 150MB download limit is stupid.

2. im sure they could use better compression or something. see my link. watch the video, then realize that its 179KB

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30244
Seen those and thats irrevelant since those are using basic textures and are not 2D art precreated at 1080p resolution. Mind that those videos also have very simplistic low bitrate audio.

That was a poor comparison if you understood the technology behind their compression routine.

BTW if you liked those, check out the original website with many more projects.
http://212.202.219.162/
Old 01-30-08, 06:46 PM   #4
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

wow, I never even knew that such a limit exist. Odd how I can DL a 2 gig football game from XBL but not a game over 150megs.

Actually I can DL an original Xbox game for over 2 gigs as well.... so what's the point of this limit?
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 06:48 PM   #5
|MaguS|

No clue, I think developers are confused aswell. I mean Market Games are the only thing that have a Size Limit. I really wonder whats the percentage of users that don't have HDs, It must be so tiny. I see no reason to have such a limit.
Old 01-30-08, 06:51 PM   #6
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Seen those and thats irrevelant since those are using basic textures and are not 2D art precreated at 1080p resolution. Mind that those videos also have very simplistic low bitrate audio.

That was a poor comparison if you understood the technology behind their compression routine.

BTW if you liked those, check out the original website with many more projects.
http://212.202.219.162/
i didnt really consider relative compression/textures/what not. i just wanted a good visual presentation with a ridiculously small size, and that was what came to mind

i was just saying that 150MB is a stupid limit, and quit crying and work around it. or, just dont release it. easy enough haha.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 06:58 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
i didnt really consider relative compression/textures/what not. i just wanted a good visual presentation with a ridiculously small size, and that was what came to mind

i was just saying that 150MB is a stupid limit, and quit crying and work around it. or, just dont release it. easy enough haha.
Well all it means is that XBLive users are going to get shafted when it comes to downloadable games when compared to PSN and even the Wii due to this limitation.
Old 01-30-08, 07:57 PM   #8
mezkal

You'd think that a standard CD size would be more reasonable limit, if there should be one at all. It's almost like MS are scared that some independent release will upstage their shelf product.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-08, 08:18 PM   #9
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Well damn. I hope Microsoft will upper the limit cap to CD sized at least. But yeah, I think it's kinda stupid to have limit cap on XBLA games.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 10:21 PM   #10
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
You'd think that a standard CD size would be more reasonable limit, if there should be one at all. It's almost like MS are scared that some independent release will upstage their shelf product.
haha from who? all xbl games have to be approved by ms in order to be released, and purchasing the personal license basically states that any work you perform on a game capable of being played on the 360 is owned physically and intellectually by ms. there's no chance of that happening. I do agree that the 150mb limit seems a tad bit retarded. In the past weren't there discussions about upping the limit to 500mb?

edit: wow, nevermind, it was increased once already to 150mb from 50. they really are retarded.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 10:39 PM   #11
mezkal

From anyone who is creative, talented and motivated enough. Modding proves that innovation does come from non corporatised elements. Sure there are tons of derivative, crap and failed mods out there but there are also many shining examples of community delivered product. There are also many capable 3D engines around that are entirely freeware and there are sceners who love to port things to XBOX360, Xport for example - the dude who wrote the Starscream x68k engine and so many other freeware emulation projects.

Putting ridiculous ceilings on XBL content may be reflective of ignorance or short sightedness so let's hope that MS wakes up and frees the crazy limit.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 11:28 PM   #12
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

I understand the download limit for the "core pack" but at the same time its so damn stupid when you take into consideration nearly every demo is above that with many reaching over 1gig. And not to mention movies. If anything its the damn core pack that doesn't make any sense because its basically useless for the market place. I just hope this doesn't compromise the PS3 version.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote