Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-08, 07:04 AM   #1
PiranhA2

Default [Compiz / Xorg] bad Performane and Bug with TV-Out

Hi.

1)

I have the problem, that when Compiz is enabled I have an overall bad performance.
For example, when I browse my files with nautilus it often hungs for half a second.
Or while opening large websites with Firefox I cannot switch tabs (it takes up to 2 seconds to change the tab).
Or when I rotate the desktop-cube it takes a short time until it runs smooth. So for just a few seconds the moves are stuttering.

But now, I have tried out Pixel, which causes very high cpu-usage. Mainly the Xorg causes this with 50% (one core).
It makes the tool unuseable, because after nearly every click I have to wait 2 seconds until I can do the next.

I use Ubuntu 7.10
Dell inspirion 1520
Intel C2D 2GHz
nvidia m8600GT
2GB RAM

I have installed the 169.09 nvidia drivers with Envy and the game-performance isn't too bad though (I play Team Fortress 2 with Wine and have no problems with this).
Its just this stuttering with Compiz.
Also games like Quake3 or Sauerbraten make problems when they are fullscreen and Compiz is enabled. Not the performance, but more that it's halfly transparent and I can see the background of my desktop.

2)

I always thought TV-Out with SVideo and the 169.X-drivers just wouldn't work, but I just found out, that this is just a bug. When I start with my tvon-xorg.conf TV-Out doesn't work. So I start nvidia-settings and only change the resolution of my TV, click on apply and it works. But when I save the new changes to the xorg.conf and restart X again it doesn't work. I always have to change the resolution. The old drivers (before 169.X) had no problems with that.

I have attached my two xorg.confs. The one for single screen and the other for TV-Out. I hope you can help me out.

Best Regards.

-----------------------------
Edit: The nvidia-bug-report.log
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg-tvoff.txt (2.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: txt xorg-tvon.txt (3.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (114.0 KB, 100 views)
PiranhA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:05 AM   #2
slavagt

Default Re: [Compiz / Xorg] bad Performane and Bug with TV-Out

I think this is problem of Compiz, not nvidia. I also was have such problem. I do't find how to fix it "normally", but I make "quick fix" which is work for me. It is "fixing through ass", so sometimes you need to restart Xwindows to this fix became work - depending of your PC speed. But then it work well up to rebooting PC. I rebooting less then once at the 1-2 week, so for me this work
The compiz have this problem then you run it at the two screen. So the idea is to start compiz at the mail screen, and metacity at the TV screen. For this I use script:
====
#!/bin/bash
sleep 10
killall gtk-window-decorator
killall -KILL lineakd
sleep 2
compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints --only-current-screen ccp --display localhost:0.0 &
gtk-window-decorator --replace &
sleep 2
metacity --display=localhost:0.1 &
/usr/bin/lineakd &
=========
I start it from gnome session. It may be the last program, started in it. Depends of your PC speed (especially HDD , you can change initial sleep time.
The metacity then starting write "over manager exist", but then starting and work at the second screen. I hope, this will be fixed in the next compiz versions.
=====
After first start, you can save gnome session, and comment out "metacity --display=localhost:0.1 &" - this will speedup initial xserver startup, and metacity will be start automatically by gnome session mamagerr. Anyway, you can play with this script and this may help to solve your problem. More details about this problem you can find by google, but search for "compiz window resize", etc, not for NVIDIA. Excuse me for my bad english
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:29 AM   #3
mezkal

The other important issue with Compiz is not to use plug ins all at once or randomly but be selective and work out how and how successfully they work together. Certain plugins can cause artifacts when used at the same time as others.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 08:09 AM   #4
PiranhA2

Thanks for yours answers.

@slavagt:
I will try this and answer later on.
Edit: This doesn't work for me at all. It just disables Emerald and uses Metacity instead (i guess it's Metacity) and there are a few error-messages, but before I waste your time with investigating it:
What is this script supposed to fix? Does it just enable window-decorator on TV-out, which doesn't bother me. My problem was that it just doesn't give out any signal to my TV untill I change the resolution for TV-out.

So the problem with stuttering while rotating the cube is obviously caused by the PowerMizer-problem. Because once the card runs in maximum performance everything runs just smooth.
The problems with the high cpu-usage (mainly caused by Xorg) while switching the tabs in firefox or using Pixel are probably caused by Compiz. This is also independet of the current performance-level of the card.

I think the selection of the plugins isn't the problem here. I use almost the same settings on a notebook with Pentium M 1,6GHz and Radeon9000 without any problems and everything runs smoother than on my notebook with the 8600GT.
I also tried to reduce the settings with no 3D-effects which didn't help. It only helped to deactivate Compiz completly.
Old 01-30-08, 01:28 AM   #5
slavagt

If you don't have the signal at TV-out, this script will be don't have you.
This script only if you have problem:
>>I have the problem, that when Compiz is enabled I have an overall bad performance.
>>For example, when I browse my files with nautilus it often hungs for half a second.
>>Or while opening large websites with Firefox I cannot switch tabs (it takes up to 2 >>seconds to change the tab).
>>>Or when I rotate the desktop-cube it takes a short time until it runs smooth. So for just a few seconds the moves are stuttering.

I was make this script after finding many reports in Internet about problems with two screen and compiz, and problems was reported by many peoples with different GPUs, not only with nvidia. About emerald windows decoration, I don't use it. I use gtk-decorator. If you use emerald, you may replace any "gtk-window-decorator --replace" string in script with string which may start emerald. Also, for testing it will be better to try to start command from this script one by one from console window, for testing it will be help you or not. String with "lineakd" is not for you - I was copy/paste my script.
So, if you have problem with window resizing (slow), and with delay reaction of menus, you can try this from xterminal:
First you may find how to start emerald from console (I don't have it at my PC).. For gtk the command is: gtk-window-decorator --replace. I think thet for emerald the command may be the similar. try emerald-window-decorator --help. Try to type:
ps ax | grep decorator
this may help to find command for restart your decorator.

after you find how to start emerald, try from xterminal.

compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints --only-current-screen ccp --display localhost:0.0 &

this will start compiz ONLY at the main screen.

then start emerald decorator. I use gtk, so for me this command is: gtk-window-decorator --replace &
find how to start emerald decorator and replace this by your command.

then type:
metacity --display=localhost:0.1 &

wait several seconds. For check you can type:
ps ax | grep compiz
ps ax | grep metacity.
The first command may return:
5809 ? SL 9:05 compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints --only-current-screen ccp --display localhost:0.0

the next:
metacity --display=localhost:0.1

This means that you have two windows managers - one for main screen and one for TV.
Now check how menu works and speed of windows resizing. This was help for me.
===================================
This ONLY for your "problem one" !!!!
==============
PS I use compiz 0.6.2, building from sources at FC7, GeForce 7300 GS, Athlon X2 4000+.
=============
here is my xorg config (attached)) with which dual screen work - possibly this will help:with your "problem two". Try my version of "ServerLayout" section. Try to set one fixed resolution for TV out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.3 KB, 93 views)
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 02:41 AM   #6
PiranhA2

Ah. Actually the performance with two screens is pretty the same as I have with one screen. I also mainly use only one screen and just enable it to watch movies on the TV.
I don't think the xorg.conf will help, but I will have a look at it. The thing is that TV-out with the old drivers (104.XXX.XXX) was no problem. I also tried to use my old xorg.conf which worked for me after updating the drivers with no success.

As I said the problem with stuttering while rotating the cube is caused by the PowerMizer-problem. So when the power-level of my graphic-card is power-saving the problem occurs. Then PowerMizer changes the power-level to maximum performance and everything runs smooth.
But the problem with Pixel or Firefox and Tabs is independent of the power-level. I guess this is a bug of Compiz (I use the version from Ubuntu repository).
Old 02-09-08, 01:24 PM   #7
PiranhA2

Little Update concerning the TV-Out-Bug:
I first have to click on detect displays and and then click on Apply. Changing the resolution is just needed to be able to click on Apply. So the main thing is the display-detection. But as I said changing the xorg.conf doesn't help.
Maybe nvidia can fix this in the next driver-release.
Old 03-04-08, 03:53 AM   #8
PiranhA2

Finally, I have changed from AIGLX to XGL and the performance is just as it should be. With glxgears I now have three times more fps than with AIGLX.
Unfortunatly XGL has a lot of disadvantages, so I still hope the performance under AIGLX will be improved in the future.