Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-08, 05:07 PM   #13
brady
I'm like everyone else.
 
brady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,376
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
No matter how much cooling you add now though it may not make a difference without heating it up first. That was my whole point.

Through the thermal cycling the solder balls on the bottom of the graphics chip loose their connection with the main board. You could set dry ice on top of the thing and it won't work if the connections are already busted. By heating it up the solder will expand and crack around a little perhaps remaking the connections.
I see what you're saying. I tried some arctic silver with the stock heatsinks and I'm still getting the rrod. Just for kicks I even turned the thing on without the heatsinks on. The fans kicked in full speed and for a minute I thought I'd start seeing some smoke but after a few seconds the fans slowed down and it just sat there with 2 blinking red lights. I'm thinking this is just a big waste of my time and I probably ought to just dump the whole thing in the trash.

The one good thing out of the whole deal is that I can keep using the HDDVD drive.
__________________
C2Q @ 3.6GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2 | EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 05:34 PM   #14
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte
 
Imbroglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil
wouldn't have mattered....wasn't the extended warranty only for RRODs anyway?
no, my first returned console had major freezing issues, no RRoD. if you read the warranty details it's for any issues from regular use that should not arise within 3 years. so HDDs, port connections (yes I've seen some post about people returning because of port issues), disc drive, everything is covered under this extended warranty.
__________________

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 05:58 PM   #15
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
no, my first returned console had major freezing issues, no RRoD. if you read the warranty details it's for any issues from regular use that should not arise within 3 years. so HDDs, port connections (yes I've seen some post about people returning because of port issues), disc drive, everything is covered under this extended warranty.
I had to return one because it would not recognize the HD, Network, or cdrom drive. The replacement is working fine
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 12:54 AM   #16
LycosV
Registered User
 
LycosV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 888
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
I see what you're saying. I tried some arctic silver with the stock heatsinks and I'm still getting the rrod. Just for kicks I even turned the thing on without the heatsinks on. The fans kicked in full speed and for a minute I thought I'd start seeing some smoke but after a few seconds the fans slowed down and it just sat there with 2 blinking red lights. I'm thinking this is just a big waste of my time and I probably ought to just dump the whole thing in the trash.

The one good thing out of the whole deal is that I can keep using the HDDVD drive.
I wouldn't have turned it on w/o heatsinks.

Try hooking it all back up and give it a shot with just the fans off. Let it sit, then hook the fans back up and try again. Works evey time for me.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 10:53 AM   #17
brady
I'm like everyone else.
 
brady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,376
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
I wouldn't have turned it on w/o heatsinks.

Try hooking it all back up and give it a shot with just the fans off. Let it sit, then hook the fans back up and try again. Works evey time for me.
Maybe I'll give it one more shot. In order to do so I'll have to go dig it out of the trash.
__________________
C2Q @ 3.6GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2 | EVGA GTX 580 SC 1.5GB | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 01:15 PM   #18
Treason
nVidia GeForce FX 5600 U
 
Treason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 599
Wink Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Borrowing your thread title.

I just got back my replacement and it has a July 19 2006 manufacture date. It's not a Falcon and here in Canada we're still depleting the "original" stock. So my fourth replacement console will probably burn out later this year.
Treason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 04:55 PM   #19
Slash310
Registered User
 
Slash310's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 200
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

my 360 just died as well.
__________________
New System : All on Stock
CPU:Intel i7-920 @ 2.66GHz - D0
Motherboard: EVGA X58 SLI Classified
Hard Drive: 2x 500GB WD
Video Card: EVGA GTX 260 Core 216
Sound Card: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3
Monitor: Dell 3007WFP
Air Cooled Ultra-120 Extreme
PSN - Slash310
X360 - Slash310
Slash310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 04:11 AM   #20
Serath
Dark Mirth
 
Serath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: KY, USA
Posts: 234
Send a message via ICQ to Serath Send a message via AIM to Serath Send a message via Yahoo to Serath
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

If anyone's interested, I can repair your RROD 360 quite efficiently. I've done many over the last couple of years and have had great success. Or if you don't want your broken box any more, I'd love to take it off your hands. Can always use parts. Just remember that RROD has several causes, and not all are GPU solder related. X-clamp works wonders, but only after doing the heat-gun method for me. Thinking about replacing stock heatsink with a zerotherm ceramic VGA cooler. Any of these are worth a shot before trashing. Just remember, instead of the garbage heap, I'll pay to ship it to me instead as long as the unit hasn't been physically altered/defaced/maimed/ or purposefully destroyed.
Serath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-08, 04:29 AM   #21
Badboy_12345
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,362
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

this is why you buy extended store warranty with the x360

I bought my x360 when it came out and +2 years warranty so I had 3 years warranty at the store. Mine has died 2 times.

And now I have the HDMI one
took me whole 20 min to go to the store, get a new one and come back home

Clerk: can I help you
Me: yes my x360 doesnt work *shows warranty paper*
Clerk: *opens the package and checks for 2 secs* looks good, here you have a new one
Me: tnx bye

Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 05:18 AM   #22
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badboy_12345
this is why you buy extended store warranty with the x360

I bought my x360 when it came out and +2 years warranty so I had 3 years warranty at the store. Mine has died 2 times.

And now I have the HDMI one
took me whole 20 min to go to the store, get a new one and come back home

Clerk: can I help you
Me: yes my x360 doesnt work *shows warranty paper*
Clerk: *opens the package and checks for 2 secs* looks good, here you have a new one
Me: tnx bye

yeah i do the same. i don't understand why after hearing so much about 360's faulty hardware yet most people don't buy extended warranty... that's just asking for more problems.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 02:51 PM   #23
RaidenWoW
ಠ_ಠ
 
RaidenWoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 737
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

My 360 has died more than 20 times. Each time I've brought it back to life with unworthy thermal paste.

A week ago I lapped my GPU heatsink, cleaned it, and put on Arctic Silver 5 and it hasn't died on me since.
__________________
ヽ(`Д)ノ
[/eVGA 8800GTS 640mb OC630mhz eVGA 8800GTS G92 eVGA 9800GTX G92] Gigabyte Radeon 6870 | Q6600 @ 2.92ghz Zalman 9700 45c-55c | Crucial M4 64g | eVga 790i Ultra [/Asus Striker Extreme]
RaidenWoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 04:22 PM   #24
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith
 
tornadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,446
Default Re: Yes, another "my 360 is dead" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenWoW
My 360 has died more than 20 times. Each time I've brought it back to life with unworthy thermal paste.

A week ago I lapped my GPU heatsink, cleaned it, and put on Arctic Silver 5 and it hasn't died on me since.
you shouldnt be doing that...class action someone pleeeeezzzz
__________________
i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz w/ Venomous-X, Asus Sabertooth x58, 8gb DDR3 GSkill 1600Mhz,MSI N670 PE, Win 7 Ult. x64, Samsung PN50C7000, Pioneer VSX 920-K, Polk Monitor 5.0 Speakers, Bic H100 Sub
tornadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.