Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-08, 06:34 PM   #1
Connaught

Default 360 Owner Contemplating a PS3 exchange

Note: This is not intended for a flame war. I am not stating one is better than the other instead why I might consider changing my 360 to a PS3. I have enjoyed my 360 thus far and for those looking to get a 360, go for it!

I have been a 360 owner since the day it came out in Canada. Throughout that time I have compiled a large library of 360 games (10+). I own all the great exclusive, fun arcade games (Small Arms and Undertow [Free]), and have been a Gold Live member.

However, I am now a Silver Live member and I cannot justify the cost of purchasing the Gold account again. When I did have that status I used and enjoyed the online functionality just didn't really use it frequently enough to consider a repurchase.

The reason that I am looking to ditch my 360 and pickup a PS3 is as follows:
- Blu-ray: Winner of the format war
- Free online play: Not used much but nice to know I will not have to pay to play for competition
- Instant access to online content when available: Silver members are out in the cold for a week (still waiting to play DMC4)
- Upgradable: Can upgrade hard drive for more space (not an overly expensive First party hard drive)
- Open memory interface: Can upload and watch my South Park clips, and have enough storage to fit all my songs
- Its Quiet
- Its Reliable:On my 2nd 360, don't want to go through the RROD again.
- Interested in some of the Exclusives coming out

So my question is:
Should I give up on my 360 and do some kind of trade/exchange to get a PS3? If so, should I wait for the new PS3 system (120 or 160gb with duel shock 3 [I like rumble])?

And no, I don't have the funds to keep my 360 and get a PS3

Thank you for your input.
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:19 PM   #2
mumstheword

Default Re: 360 Owner Contemplating a PS3 exchange

I got a 360 on the day it was released, but sold it some time ago to build a gaming PC. Now, I want to get into consoles again while keeping my PC and the PS3 seems to be the obvious choice due to more exclusives and everything else you mentioned up. So if you have a very good gaming PC, go with PS3. I'm waiting for the version with 120gb+.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:43 PM   #3
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

you should keep 360 and as long you have falcon mobo or improved heatsink then you'll be ok. also if blu-ray wins, microsoft will be releasing blu-ray add-on. online play on ps3 isn't much unless you really want and love warhawk otherwise not much games there. 360 online community is very strong so, yeah you might want to find other way around to get gold membership. psn is still weak and not alot get released every week but that might change soon when home hits psn.

give it like few more months and see if anything going to happen on both consoles. imo, $49 for 12 months isn't so bad. you can find some good deal online for slightly less plus free 1 month. personally it worths the price.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:48 PM   #4
ATi
RooR

well i got both love ps3 and 360 and the dual shock 3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 2 x 4GB 1648
HD1.5tb
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
corsair620HX
Windows7 64 home premium
Dell LED G2210
ATi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 07:52 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Only reason I would recommend going PS3 is if you see alot of games on the console that you need to play and if your really interested in HD Media. Look at your current X360 titles and see if theres anything on the PS3 thats comparable. There are alot of good X360 exclusives out there that are tons of fun.

I wouldn't agree with NaitoSan's comment on PSN being weaker then XLive, I think they are both on equal footing right now. Yeah XLive has more content but it has been available for far longer then the PSN. I do think Sony is keeping up with a good update schedule, we get something everyweek and cross platform demos seem to be arriving ontime aswell (unlike the retail products). And since you lack Gold Membership now you are getting shafted when it comes to premium content...

I think where the PS3 is going to shine is indi titles. Games like PixelJunk Monster and Flow are just awsome games to have on the console and with more heading this way It looks like its gonna be a great year for gamers who like obscure and indi titles.
Old 01-29-08, 07:53 PM   #6
Lyme

If you have to ask, and give that many points of contention, don't you think that you already have made up your mind to switch?

That being said, your decision is to buy now, or wait for the new version coming out. The new console from all reports, will simply have a larger hard drive, and a rumble controller, but is likely to drop the BC. As you can replace the HD yourself at a later date, and buy the rumble controllers separately at a later date, do you really want to wait?

And yes, as mentioned before, you will be taking a loss on selling your stuff, but you knew that anyway.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 09:00 PM   #7
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

@ the OP, why ask the question if your mind is already made up?

360 has just as many exclusives coming up as the ps3, by the end of the year they should both have quite nice libraries underneath them. the real question you should be asking yourself is: is the loss switching everything over to ps3 worth a few different exclusives and bd capabilities? hell, you could take a fraction of the loses you are about to take and buy a standalone bd and then wait for the eminent ps3 pricecuts. that seems like a more important question, as it appears you have your mind made up

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 09:26 PM   #8
MowTin

If you have a large HDTV then trade the 360 for a PS3. The PS3 is a REAL DVD and Blu-ray player. The 360 is a game console that can play DVD's.

What I really like about my PS3 is that even if it never played a single game it would be worth its price. You can't find a better Blu-ray player for that price. Where are you going to find a Blu-ray player with wifi?

The 360 is too loud to be a real DVD player. Who would want their DVD player making so much noise?

I just think the PS3 is the biggest bargain in consumer electronics.

Just be sure to play Mass Effect before making the switch

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-08, 10:15 PM   #9
kev13dd

I'll give ya a free month of Xbox Live if you really want the demo. Honestly I think Xbox Live is pretty fairly priced and will only get better now that Sony has an adiquate competition on the market to show it up

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-08, 11:21 PM   #10
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I have both consoles and I stand by that PSN is still weak when comparing to Xbox Live, they have load of contents that you can get (like media contents). I'm talking about present, not in the future or in the past (well, it was much worse).

But I don't deny that PSN has improved a lot since then but it's still not filled with rich contents as Xbox Live does (unless you're into PSP and PS1 downloadable games which I find them no interest at all). Like I said, when Home is released, we should see a lot of changes with PSN contents and I know media contents are on the way and improved XMB features, etc. but I don't know when exactly.

I bet in next few months PSN should, or at least, match Xbox Live offerings. I hope so, especially with free online access.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 01:06 AM   #11
Connaught

Thanks everyone for your valid and useful input. To say that my mind was made up when I created this thread was quite false but I can understand your reasoning.
I throughly enjoy my 360 in terms of game selection and extra content available via Xbox live (even if its a week late). There are definitely some exclusive that I want to hold out for (Too Human, GOW2, Mass Effect 2&3) but I cannot wait too long because there are some 3rd party games that I want to get as well (Soul Caliber, Mercenaries 2, etc).

Unfortunately, some of the positives of the 360 when I first bought it have worn off and don't feel like it is worth supporting anymore.
- Xbox live: While a gold member it was great, just wish there was some consistancy in connectivity and ping, and some dedicated servers instead of player host advantage...(oh hello Gears of War) albeit minimized in Halo 3.
- Huge Game selection: Yet no exclusive game that I come back to play again and again. Not even you Halo 3.
- Great controller: Any way to take that over to the PS3?

The hardware issues and an online service that in its current state, should be free, has eventually gotten to me. Its hard for me to admit given my previous stead fast faith in the 360 but, I think that Sony got it right. Holding out at year to make sure they knowingly ship a faulty product, they provided the end user with an open source network and a next gen movie format player.

Again, thanks for all your input it was useful and greatly appreciated.

Now, how much longer till that 120 or 160 gb PS3?
What are some good Community Sites? Ones that are not overly bias and ignorant?
Connaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 09:15 AM   #12
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Sell the 360 because it will eventually die. Buy a PS3 then buy back a 360 when the price drops and there is most likely a new and better revision of the crappy hardware.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote