Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-08, 01:07 PM   #1
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Default CryEngine 2 To Consoles

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/cr...ml?sid=6185256

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSpot

Back in April of 2006, rumors surfaced that Crytek was bringing its much-anticipated PC shooter Crysis to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. More recently, there was speculation that an extended "Crysis 1.5" would be coming exclusively to the PS3.

Although the aforementioned rumors remain unconfirmed, today the German developer announced that console versions of CryEngine 2, the technology behind Crysis' processor-punishing visuals, are in development. The console editions of the middleware will be unveiled at private appointments behind closed doors at the upcoming Game Developers Conference, which runs from February 18-22 in San Francisco.

"This year's engine will be shown for the first time running on multiple hardware platforms such as the PS3 and Xbox 360 to a select audience," the company said in a statement.

While general attendees may not be able to get a peek at the console editions of the engine, Crytek will be showing off the fully optimized engine's performance on a budget PC that could be put together for about $600. In addition, Crytek's Cevat Yerli, Sten Hübler, and Bernd Diemer will host a conference session titled "Crysis in the Making," which will provide insight into how the PC shooter came together.
I'm interested to see how good it will look.
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 01:10 PM   #2
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD
Default Re: CryEngine 2 To Consoles

I just find it odd why even bother since both consoles have low memory.. a year ago they said this was the biggest problem.. now they are saying the opposite.. funny is it cause crysis sold bad or ?
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-08, 01:20 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Posted already...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107060
Old 01-30-08, 01:43 PM   #4
delas52
:::::::::::::::::

Wow, how'd I miss that...
delas52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 10:01 PM   #5
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
I just find it odd why even bother since both consoles have low memory.. a year ago they said this was the biggest problem.. now they are saying the opposite.. funny is it cause crysis sold bad or ?
Translation: Crytek was full of sh#*.
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 10:58 PM   #6
mezkal

They've had time to optimise the engine for consoles. Instincts ran smooth and it allowed for a lot more gameplay wise than the original Far Cry. It also had better water and Bloom on a dx8 class hardware than we got on PC (I'm talking DX8 class on PC too).
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-08, 11:54 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazZarD
it will turn out like far cry instincts or predator, lower quality, lower rest replica.

both instincts and predator could not compare to original far cry
Old 02-02-08, 10:19 AM   #8
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

considering res limitation (720 is a low resolution for us pc nuts), dx9 only, and more optimisation for being a console, I have no doubt cry2 will look awesome on the 360 or ps3. It may not be like our currently unplayable dx10 orgasmic inducing screen shots, but the dx9 modes still look better then most other games with ease. They cry2 engine does scale well, its just most of us here only care about the extreme subset.

Old 02-02-08, 11:54 AM   #9
Xion X2

The "low texture quality" attributed to consoles is a myth as well. Kameo on the 360 has some of the best texture quality ever conceived in a videogame with its parallax mapping, and Uncharted also has excellent textures on the rocks and ground.

Basically it's a PC-fanboy party-line to spout this. Consoles utilize texture memory a lot differently than a PC does. You cannot do a direct comparison.
Old 02-02-08, 12:05 PM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
The "low texture quality" attributed to consoles is a myth as well. Kameo on the 360 has some of the best texture quality ever conceived in a videogame with its parallax mapping, and Uncharted also has excellent textures on the rocks and ground.

Basically it's a PC-fanboy party-line to spout this. Consoles utilize texture memory a lot differently than a PC does. You cannot do a direct comparison.
Kameo had great textures but man its filtering was poor. If you wana show the texture producing quality of the consoles show off Rachet and Clank, man that game looks good. I have been playing it non stop lately and can't believe how amazing everything looks without a slight hitch in frame rate and no jaggies.
Old 02-02-08, 10:33 PM   #11
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Kameo had great textures but man its filtering was poor. If you wana show the texture producing quality of the consoles show off Rachet and Clank, man that game looks good. I have been playing it non stop lately and can't believe how amazing everything looks without a slight hitch in frame rate and no jaggies.
Agreed on both counts. PS3 doesn't seem to struggle as much with AF.

R&C is one of the best looking games ever. Uncharted is the best, IMO. Between those two the PS3 is really flexing some muscle.
Old 02-02-08, 10:39 PM   #12
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I look forward to ICO team on their next-gen game on PS3.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote