Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-08, 03:58 PM   #37
PuckPoltergeist

Default Re: 169.09 Nvidia.ko build fails on newest 2.6.24 snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
@PuckPoltergeist: although it is initialized that way, init_task->active_mm doesn't necessarily point to init_mm in the different contexts in which access to the latter is currently needed.
Ok, a little test showed me, that it's not only possible but very likely that active_mm of init_task will change.
PuckPoltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 07:33 PM   #38
JackieBrown

Any luck PuckPoltergeist or Zander?
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:42 AM   #39
PuckPoltergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBrown
Any luck PuckPoltergeist or Zander?
For myself I got the driver working with the new set_pages-interface and with changing the kernel-sources exporting init_mm again. It also seemd work for me with using init_task.active_mm. But as this is not the init_mm-struct, I reverted this for me cause I don't know which consequences this might have.
For now I think the nvidia-guys must find another way to get the driver work, without using init_mm.
PuckPoltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 12:08 PM   #40
valdis

PuckPoltergiest - are you able to attach your "patches thus far" so those of us who are testing 2.6.25-rc[12] or a -mm kernel can avoid re-inventing the wheel? (Yes, I know about non-sanctioned patches and all that)
valdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 02:18 AM   #41
wereHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckPoltergeist
For myself I got the driver working with the new set_pages-interface and with changing the kernel-sources exporting init_mm again. It also seemd work for me with using init_task.active_mm. But as this is not the init_mm-struct, I reverted this for me cause I don't know which consequences this might have.
For now I think the nvidia-guys must find another way to get the driver work, without using init_mm.
Other architectures still export init_mm, so I think nvidia could nicely ask to re-export it on x86. That's not too much to ask, the kernel guys usually are nice people.

Btw, I'm also running .25-rc2 with the patched nvidia driver and exported init_mm, works fine so far (compiz desktop, World of Warcraft).
wereHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 06:20 PM   #42
gimpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereHamster
Other architectures still export init_mm, so I think nvidia could nicely ask to re-export it on x86. That's not too much to ask, the kernel guys usually are nice people.

Btw, I'm also running .25-rc2 with the patched nvidia driver and exported init_mm, works fine so far (compiz desktop, World of Warcraft).
Now is anyone of you patch gurus going to attach your work here?
How should we ever get nVidia to open-source their drivers if the userbase is so closed-minded. The kernel guys don't give a freaking damn about anyone who releases anything not under the GPL, nvidia drivers being the worst of them all. (just kidding!!! but they mean it...)

Running X86_64 I just did a compile hack and commented out the global_flush_tlb() and it compiles, loads, and works, sort of...

But it feels like i definately did something wrong.
gimpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 10:02 PM   #43
smp5

Puck, if you could provide a kernel patch to re-export the init_mm or at least point out which kernel release version removed it so I could take a look this would be helpful. I went back to 2.6.23.9 although there must be a more precise change over point between that kernel, and 2.6.25-rc2

Running ``diff -C 2 -r'' between 2.6.23.9 and 2.6.24 shows that maybe all thats needed is a one-liner in arch/x86/kernel/init_task.c, specifically:

EXPORT_SYMBOL(init_mm);

to be inserted around line 18 after the init_mm variable is defined.

Likewise, it would be helpful for Nvidia to release some public statement about how they plan to proceed here. It appears that the Nvidia developers don't test against the latest torvalds git development release, however if they do and we just don't see it then perhaps binary sub-blobs or nvidia sub-patches could be supplied to forum users to provide a head start all around.
smp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 10:51 PM   #44
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@smp5: see my post #36; it is still unclear what changes will need to be made in the NVIDIA driver (mostly because it is unclear if 'init_mm' will be re-exported before Linux 2.6.25 is released). As has been stated many times, pre-release and other experimental Linux kernels are not officially supported.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-08, 11:01 AM   #45
saltydog

Exclamation Re: 169.09 Nvidia.ko build fails on newest 2.6.24 snapshot

Zander -

While I am not a kernel developer, I build and test most of the daily git releases and I keep a pretty close eye on the kernel mailing list.

From the tone of the message traffic on the mailing list I can assure you that many of the key developers have strident opinions on exported symbols and are in fact using them as a tool to hammer those vendors who do not view the GPL in the same sacred light as they do.

Please tell me that Nvidia has a solution which does not require patches to the core kernel source code.

I love my GeForce 7600 based card, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life running xorg's "nv" driver. Please don't put me in in a corner where I have to go out and spend my hard earned dollars on another vendors product.
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 09:05 AM   #46
jama

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpel
How should we ever get nVidia to open-source their drivers if the userbase is so closed-minded.
I reexported init_mm symbol and used this patch based on PuckPoltergeist info ..

And it seems working ..
Attached Files
File Type: txt NVIDIA_2.6.25.patch.txt (1.9 KB, 854 views)
jama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 09:44 AM   #47
Entropy42

OK, for us kernel newbies - What do we need to change to re-export init_mm?

Unfortunately I now have an rt73usb-based wireless card, and that requires prerelease kernels. (The driver is in 2.6.24.2, but that release is HORRIBLY buggy - it works for at most 1-2 minutes before the wireless adapter needs to be removed and plugged back in.)
Entropy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 10:18 AM   #48
JackieBrown

If you look at the patch, you will see it is for the nvidia driver, not the kernel.

re-read post ---- sorry
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote