Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-08, 10:10 PM   #61
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 169.09 Nvidia.ko build fails on newest 2.6.24 snapshot

As was stated previously, NVIDIA is aware of the compatibility problems with Linux 2.6.25 pre-releases, including the removal of the 'init_mm' symbol export. We've been working a solution for these problems and hope to release a driver with Linux 2.6.25 support in a timely fashion. As it stands, we do not expect the 'init_mm' symbol to be re-exported, which will have different implications for future regular and legacy driver releases. Please do not infer from the lack of a public discussion and/or an official patch that NVIDIA is ignoring Linux 2.6.25.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 10:25 PM   #62
JackieBrown

I guess a quality Nvidia driver release is better than a hacked one.

Sorry, zander. I think I have just grown to accustomed to the open discussions from open source projects.

But as much as I wish we would see more interaction, you all do frequent this forum constantly. I have never seen this kind of close interaction from a closed source vendor.

Nvidia's support to Linux is well shown and it's history and current actions well reflect that support.
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:02 AM   #63
PuckPoltergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog
1. While it was not a part of the published kernel API init_mm has been around for so long that it has become a "de facto" part of the kernel API.
Yes, for kernel-drivers which are build as modules. As there are no drivers for x86, this export isn't necessary anymore.

Quote:
2. A large number of Linux users purchased Nvidia-based cards based on the fact that there were vendor supported Linux drivers for them.

3. The change in policy about exporting init_mm will have a large impact on those who currently own Nvidia-based cards.
That's a problem of nvidia, and as zander stated, they're aware of it. The kernel-developers won't take care about closed source drivers.

Quote:
In the past this type of ball-busting and arm twisting has not been supported by Linus.
If you come with technical reasons, he will listen to you. But exporting a symbol only for some closed source drivers isn't a good reason, for no kernel developer.
PuckPoltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:45 AM   #64
siddly

Saltydog, you mischaracterised Linus here. I can remember him telling IBM to go away with certain patches they submitted, also see LKML topic reply of yesterday by the same Linus:-
Re: [PATCH 2.6.25] module: allow ndiswrapper to use GPL-onlysymbols
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...02.3/2381.html
=====
ndiswrapper itself is *not* compatible with the GPL. Trying to claim that
ndiswrapper somehow itself is GPL'd even though it then loads modules that
aren't is stupid and pointless. Clearly it just re-exports those GPLONLY
functions to code that is *not* GPL'd.

Linus
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 06:51 AM   #65
Emopig

andrew@ziggy /usr/src/linux-2.6.25 $ nm vmlinux | grep init_mm
ffffffff80643040 D init_mm
andrew@ziggy /usr/src/linux-2.6.25 $ cat System.map | grep init_mm

...it looks like init_mm is being exported in my build of the kernel but arch/x86/kernel/init_task.c does *NOT* contain EXPORT_SYMBOL(init_mm).

These are vanilla 2.6.25-git1 sources straight from kernel.org and I've done a recursive grep on the tree but haven't been able to find where this symbol is being exported. I suspect that this compiler related and therefore unreliable, I am using gcc 4.2.3 and binutils 2.18.

...or perhaps I missed something, my kernel config is here:
http://andrew.nelless.net/patches/ke...fig-2.6.25.txt
Emopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 08:10 AM   #66
PuckPoltergeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emopig

...it looks like init_mm is being exported in my build of the kernel but arch/x86/kernel/init_task.c does *NOT* contain EXPORT_SYMBOL(init_mm).
vmlinu[x|z] must contain init_mm, cause it's defined and used. That doesn't mean that it's exported. It's used by the kernel itself but not accessible for modules.
PuckPoltergeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:45 PM   #67
Emopig

Well maybe I don't understand the purpose of the System.map file, in any case, the NVIDIA driver compiles without adding an explicit export macro for init_mm to the tree.
Old 02-29-08, 06:27 PM   #68
marcopolo

FYI init_mm is now re-exported in the current kernel in git, but with the EXPORT_UNUSED_SYMBOL macro. The comment states that it will remain until 2.6.26.
CONFIG_UNUSED_SYMBOLS is needed in .config to get it exported, so this may still be problematic with most distributions' kernels that probably don't set this option - at least Fedora doesn't.
marcopolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-08, 01:31 AM   #69
siddly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emopig

These are vanilla 2.6.25-git1 sources straight from kernel.org and I've done a recursive grep on the tree but haven't been able to find where this symbol is being exported. I suspect that this compiler related and therefore unreliable, I am using gcc 4.2.3 and binutils 2.18.

...or perhaps I missed something, my kernel config is here:
http://andrew.nelless.net/patches/ke...fig-2.6.25.txt
You misquoted your kernel version, the export was reinserted in 2.6.25-rc3-git2 with the comment that it will be removed in 2.6.26.
siddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 04:47 AM   #70
Emopig

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddly
You misquoted your kernel version, the export was reinserted in 2.6.25-rc3-git2 with the comment that it will be removed in 2.6.26.
I never had any problems with init_mm going back to 2.6.25-rc2-gitX kernels. I know it is now irrelevant to this thread, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Old 03-05-08, 09:03 PM   #71
clytle374

I have been very harsh on Nvidia for not opening their source, but I'm on Nvidias side here. The whole GPLONLY thing breaking ndiswrapper feels like MS strong arm tactics. The kernel changing is something Nvidia has to deal with (unless of course they release the code) but not exporting symbols to non-GPLed code is just bad. I can't even personally see how the GPL allows it.

So who do I tell that if they decide to bully non-GPL code out and Nvidia with it I won't be running the NV driver, but #1 Linux fan will be running windows.
clytle374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 11:02 PM   #72
JackieBrown

I'd rather use an older kernel than go back to windows.
JackieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote