Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-08, 11:07 PM   #13
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Default Re: 1997: SEGA has to choose between PowerVR and 3Dfx for its next console

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
WTF is up with the recent obsession with 3DFX, they were a decent graphics card company who couldn't adapt so they went under.
More than decent They were ahead of their time and went after the wrong tech too soon...that being depth of field and anti-aliasing. Ahh the T-buffer...

All anyone thought they wanted back then was framerate.

I really hate them being gone.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-08, 03:45 AM   #14
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: 1997: SEGA has to choose between PowerVR and 3Dfx for its next console

took some time to read article above there. wow, i remember being all excited about possibilities to see next-gen graphics. i remember my friend showing me unreal using monster 3d card... i was sooo impressed to see all pretty graphics in high resolution running silky smooth.

i wish 3dfx will make a big comeback but that probably won't happen since nvidia bought most of 3dfx assets.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 08:03 PM   #15
AirRaid

July 1997 marked the beginning of the end for 3Dfx, even though they were still red hot, and had yet to release the Voodoo2 and Banshee cards. Sega's decision to go with PowerVR had a devastating effect on 3Dfx stock, they were in a panic.

Quote:
3Dfx Out? PowerVR In?
Has 3Dfx been pushed aside as Sega's chip set of choice? Wall Street thinks so.

By Chris Johnston, GameSpot
Posted Jul 22, 1997 11:47 am PT

It all began with a story in the July 14th issue of Microprocessor Report, an industry newsletter, reporting that Sega had dropped the 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics hardware being developed for its new gaming platform to instead incorporate a PowerVR chip set made by competitor NEC. This sparked an outcry from 3Dfx, which denied that Sega had made a decision on either of the companies' technologies.

The report caused 3Dfx's stock to plunge Monday, by as much as 43 percent. The stock finally closed at US$12 a share, down 4 1/8 from Friday's closing price of 16 1/8. The company is expected to announce its quarterly earnings on Thursday, at which time more questions about the company's involvement with the new Sega machine may be answered.

A spokesman for 3Dfx Interactive did say that the company "is aware that there are influential factions within Sega advocating the introduction of a hardware gaming platform different from the system for which they contracted with 3Dfx for graphics technology." It has long been rumored that two systems have been simultaneously developed within Sega - one using PowerVR, the other using Voodoo Graphics.

An internal panel within Sega is rumored to have been evaluating the two configurations, but it has not yet come to a decision.

When contacted, a spokesman for Sega of America said that no decision has been made on any technical specifications the new hardware will include or any 3-D graphics technology that it might use or when that information would be made available. However, industry watchers have speculated that the race has been whittled down to 3Dfx Interactive's Voodoo Graphics chip set and NEC/VideoLogic's PowerVR.

3Dfx said today in an official statement that Sega has "a contractual obligation to 3Dfx Interactive to utilize the company's Voodoo graphics technology as the graphics engine for its next consumer gaming platform. Should they choose to introduce a product that does not utilize this technology, 3Dfx believes that the terms of the contract entitle it to commensurate damages."

Microprocessor Report said today that it stands by its original story. NEC could not be reached for comment at press time.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2466561.html
AirRaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 08:05 PM   #16
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudazo
Gamegear was great.
QFT. Unfortunatly, I got it for christmas right before they stopped producing it and games for it.