Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-03-08, 10:11 PM   #13
Zenoth

Default Re: First ever quad core Nehalem CPU-Z picture

Amazing to see such capable CPU's. They will be tremendous performers for synthetic benchmarking, video/audio encoding/decoding, photoshoping, and ect.

But quite useless for gaming. Well... not "useless" per se but still quite over-blown and exaggerate. The current Quad Cores, with 4 threads total, can barely get used by gaming. Maybe if you like Supreme Commander and UT3... why not I presume. But 99% of the gaming market can only take advantage of a Dual Core, and that's only "when possible". The remaining one percent can use from three Cores to four.

But I won't start the debate about that, everyone knows already what it's all about. Such multi-processor CPU's are relevant, and legitimately useful, with good reasons (I.E programs) that can take the advantage of such computing power. If I myself would be a dedicated worker for big companies working on character animations and video encoding or anything like that, or a professional photoshop user, I would gladly jump to the wagon and buy one, provided I would have the money...
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX285 @ Stock
PSU: Corsair TX750W
APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
Zenoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 07:09 AM   #14
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

nice, my OC'ed Q6600/680i will last me for a while. will wait for Nehalem for next upgrade.
Old 02-04-08, 07:35 AM   #15
ViN86

that's awesome

also has SSE4.1 and SSE4.2
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 12:29 PM   #16
Absolution
AbsoUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenoth
Amazing to see such capable CPU's. They will be tremendous performers for synthetic benchmarking, video/audio encoding/decoding, photoshoping, and ect.

But quite useless for gaming. Well... not "useless" per se but still quite over-blown and exaggerate. The current Quad Cores, with 4 threads total, can barely get used by gaming. Maybe if you like Supreme Commander and UT3... why not I presume. But 99% of the gaming market can only take advantage of a Dual Core, and that's only "when possible". The remaining one percent can use from three Cores to four.

But I won't start the debate about that, everyone knows already what it's all about. Such multi-processor CPU's are relevant, and legitimately useful, with good reasons (I.E programs) that can take the advantage of such computing power. If I myself would be a dedicated worker for big companies working on character animations and video encoding or anything like that, or a professional photoshop user, I would gladly jump to the wagon and buy one, provided I would have the money...
I would disagree to a point.

1 thread instructions to be sent to gpu
1 thread sound
1 thread physics
1 thread netcode

but ya, largely useless =/ physics + gpu are the slow main threads that will bog the system down anyway
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 01:48 PM   #17
K007

Hmm not many games even take advantage of the quad cores...
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 02:27 PM   #18
jolle

Gonna take a while for gaming to catch up on threading.
Since its been said that splitting things up in threads, and its reasonable to say that splitting things up into MORE threads is harder, coarse granularity threading such as using one thread for sound, one for physics etc isnt that bad, but when you try to split those tasks up into several threads it apparantly gets pretty hairy.

Anyhow, the Guru3d Skulltrail benches (2x Quad) doesnt show anything tangible in the field of gaming. (tho its perhaps not the best representation of threaded games on the market).
http://www.guru3d.com/article/processor/495/11/
Old 02-04-08, 03:26 PM   #19
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007
Hmm not many games even take advantage of the quad cores...
that's why i bought an uber fast overclockable dual core
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote