Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-04-08, 09:18 AM   #1
Riptide

Default Nice - new system hard locks

My computer has been running well for about two weeks until just recently. No driver changes have taken place or any hardware changes. No BIOS config changes either.

When watching videos the system has hard locked with sound stuck in a loop twice in the last couple days. System reset is necessary to bring it back as it is totally unresponsive. Task manager will not come up. Event viewer shows absolutely nothing wrong. No blue screens ever come up. Vista x64 Ultimate.

Games work fine - though to be fair I haven't played much more than an hour at a time and that is what usually is required to get the system to lock up. Folding@Home runs fine for hours and hours. I ran memtest86+ last night for 15 hours of walltime. No errors.

I am using Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0 and the CCCP codec pack. Latest release whql Nvidia driver.

What the hell is going on here?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:28 AM   #2
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon
Default Re: Nice - new system hard locks

Dunno "only" two lockups id say it's one of those things. Im used to my puter locking up far more, but I usually push the limits a bit (old rig that is).

Id check the codecs first, see if you can find an alternative to the actual codec in use and replace it, with MP Classic you should be able to see exactly what codec is used to play that particular video (ive had problems with codecs simalar to this in the past)

A no brainer but still use all latest drivers

Edit: Btw it wasnt the same movie that locked up twice ?
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:31 AM   #3
Riptide

It's happened with different codecs and different videos. I was watching Gladiator in h.264 the day before yesterday when it broke. And last night it was the new pirates movie. Not sure which codec but it wasn't h.264 that time.
Old 02-04-08, 09:38 AM   #4
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Humm, Last time i did see lockups during video playback was when my gfx card was overclocked. For some reason it was more picky with OC during video playback then in actuall games (ie id see artifacts far sooner in during video playback vs actuall gaming). I dont think that's the case with your setup but it could be good to know non the less. So check video temps/cpu load, Riva tuner is good for this.

However, Some of the 8800 series are suposed to hardware accelerate HD video content but I cant remember when this support was added (i know its present in GT cards), so maybe different drivers is what you need ?

EDIT: Going home from work now so Ill have to check in on this thread tomorrow to see if you managed to fix the problem, Im sure people here can come with some good tips

The wonder of bugs ... You might have been "affected" all the time but its just hard to pinpoint the exact curcomstances for your puter to crash, the only other thing I can think of is to close all other open apps (like antivirus, msn etc etc) maybe one of those are responsible for a memory conflict or god knows what.
So go as basic as you can, see if it still crashes. then atleast you know what it is not causing problems.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 09:45 AM   #5
Riptide

I don't get artifacts it just all the sudden hard locks as described. I suppose it could be the video card which is factory overclocked (626/2000). If I can't get anywhere with this then maybe ATI Tool artifact scanner might be a good thing to try. That should test the core and RAM on the card pretty well.

New driver might not hurt to try. There are some 171.xx betas out.
Quote:
Try ffdshow instead.
It's already installed. Part of CCCP.
Old 02-04-08, 09:55 AM   #6
Riptide

That is one thing I'm considering. Removing the auzentech. It is worth mentioning that the auzentech has been working OK for a while so it's unlikely to be the culprit.

But when it's a needle in the haystack... I know.
Old 02-04-08, 11:51 AM   #7
Tr1cK
not coming back

Try VLC Player instead of Media Player Classic and the codec pack.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 11:59 AM   #8
Riptide

I'm taking the auzentech out tonight and going back to the Realtek onboard. I'm also going to upgrade to the new 171.xx beta driver for the GTX.

If that won't fix it then I'll start screwing around with the codecs and the media player. Try VLC maybe or switch over to WMP. I might also use ATI Tool to check the card and also run Prime95 for 8 hours or so on the machine and see if it catches anything.

Old 02-04-08, 12:24 PM   #9
tacos4me

I had the same exact problem a few months ago. Every time I would sit down to watch a DivX/Xvid encoded movie, my rig would randomly lock up, with an endless sound loop. Couldn't figure it out for the longest time.

Is your processor overclocked? That ended up being my problem. Orthos could run all day, and I could play games all night with no issues whatsoever. I thought my overclock was stable. Turns out it wasn't. Dropped my clock speed by 200MHz and I haven't had a lock up during videos since. More voltage to the processor didn't seem to help, so I concluded something funky was going on with my 680i and settled with a lesser overclock.
Old 02-04-08, 12:25 PM   #10
Absolution
AbsoUI

Hard locks are from faulty hardware - at least in my experience. I've never resolved a hard lock other than an RMA/bios update.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 12:52 PM   #11
Tr1cK
not coming back

Another thought: Try with just 4gb of RAM in and maybe different slots?
Also, if you are running 1t command rate, try 2t. It doesn't make a big of a difference on Intel as it did for AMD systems it seems.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-08, 01:20 PM   #12
Riptide

System is not overclocked. Stock CPU speeds and RAM settings.

I may try just 4GB at some point. But it passed 14 hours of memtest86+ walltime with 8GB in there. That tends to make it seem like the memory isn't the issue.

I dunno. I am going to force 2T in the BIOS though even though it's on Auto and CPU-Z reports 2T already.
Quote:
Hard locks are from faulty hardware - at least in my experience. I've never resolved a hard lock other than an RMA/bios update.
Problem is that sometimes that can be a serious PITA.

I've seen systems pass hours and hours of Prime, memtest, folding@home, etc.. And still lock up randomly when playing games. Even though the video card passed ati tool scanner. Turned out to be a bad motherboard.