Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-08, 10:07 PM   #13
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Default Re: Sins of a Solar Empire Feedback Thread

You guys can purchase a digital download of this game form Stardock directly. Looks like that's what I'll be doing since all stores here are closed for Chinese New Year holidays.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 02:08 AM   #14
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticNick
favorable review.
Old 02-07-08, 05:08 AM   #15
Thingding
Cakes > Pies

the diplomacy thing worries me a bit. can you have the ai do it like in total war? to be honest all i want... all i EVER wanted... was homeworld 2 with twice as many ships and updated graphics.

The PDS mod version of HW2 is the best RTS ever made. period.
Old 02-08-08, 01:34 PM   #16
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

This game is really intriguing. I'm gonna buy it after I get home today and check it out, I haven't played a good strategy game since Civ 4 and the fact that it's an RTS hybrid also sounds very interesting.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 06:12 PM   #17
methimpikehoses

Ordered.
Old 02-09-08, 12:29 AM   #18
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Put a few hours into it so far, it's surprisingly accessible and incredibly in-depth. The micro-management of your units and the overall upkeep of your empire once you start to expand is incredibly streamlined and efficient. I never once felt overwhelmed, even when dealing with multiple pirate raids and enemy attacks. The easily configurable and intelligent unit AI takes care of most of the targeting and such, although you can micromanage to your heart's content. Overall extremely impressive game. I'm very happy with it! Too tired to continue playing for now though. I could definitely see playing this game until daylight though.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 02-09-08, 12:55 AM   #19
methimpikehoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Put a few hours into it so far, it's surprisingly accessible and incredibly in-depth. The micro-management of your units and the overall upkeep of your empire once you start to expand is incredibly streamlined and efficient. I never once felt overwhelmed, even when dealing with multiple pirate raids and enemy attacks. The easily configurable and intelligent unit AI takes care of most of the targeting and such, although you can micromanage to your heart's content. Overall extremely impressive game. I'm very happy with it! Too tired to continue playing for now though. I could definitely see playing this game until daylight though.
Good to hear! I'm really looking forward to it... post some screenies if you get a chance to!
Old 02-09-08, 01:29 AM   #20
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I lied, I read the manual a bit and played for a little while longer. Understand that right now I'm forcing myself to stop, only because I want to wake up tomorrow refreshed and ready to start a marathon session which will likely leave me a drained husk by the end of the weekend. This game is festering in my mind. I've honestly not been this excited about a strategy game since...ever?

Edit: Added a bunch of screenshots! (image blurriness is due to JPEG compression not the game)

Here's an overview of one of my colonies - it's an asteroid but it's located at a key focal point so I've stationed my fleet here and beefed up the defenses:

Zoomed out map of what I've discovered so far - the faint purple lines coming from the star and the far right planet represent cultural influence from an enemy player's empire - this can be repelled by your own cultural influence which can itself be influenced by several things (including military might ) You'll notice that the lines connect the various asteroids and planets - this is the way the game regulates travel for strategic purposes.

Here's a close-up of my capital world. A bit light on defenses but it's pretty deep in my own territory so it's not very vulnerable to attack, and I could move my fleet there quickly if needed. Zooming in and out from your worlds is as simple as rolling your mouse wheel.

Quick look at one of the research trees - options are opened up by both completing lower-tiered research as well as building enough research facilities.

Close-up of my main fleet, capital ship is selected and in the back with my supporting frigates up front. There are a couple of defensive structures and one of my resource asteroids nearby as well.

Engaging an enemy fleet. The individual units are capable of making smart targeting decisions, allowing me to queue up reinforcements and continue managing my economy and research during combat.

I destroyed over half their fleet and forced them to retreat. The purple icons in the top represent their ships (zooming in you'd see the individual ship models more clearly). The large ship on the right is their capital ship.

Close-up of their capital ship phasing out of this area. The edge of the light circle area represents the gravity well of the major astral body in this area. Once outside the gravity well, ships can enter FTL travel to move quickly between planets / colonies. There are defensive structures available which can delay their escape, which I have at my forward colony (not here). Take note of the large number of grey ships in the bottom left - that's a pirate fleet that just showed up as I finished fighting.

Back at my asteroid colony, the pirates just beat me to it but my stationary defenses held them off long enough for my fleet to arrive and obliterate them. Pirates are fairly easy to defeat compared with other players. Usually they lack shields and swarm you with multiple weak ships which your units intelligently focus fire.

That's it for now! Buy this game if you're interested, I sincerely doubt you'll be disappointed.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 02-10-08, 03:59 PM   #21
Vasot02
Crazy Greek guy

Great game
I also have it

But the single player is lacking and feels swallow
It has only skirmish kind of maps

Its only about 1) kill all the enemy colonies 2) Game Over ...
Becomes very monotonous after a while

I love games with deep Sci-Fi story and campaigns with objectives (Just like Homeworld was)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahheadlock

The lack of a single player campaign is a surprise to me, and a little disappointing.
+1
Old 02-10-08, 04:56 PM   #22
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasot02
Great game
I also have it

But the single player is lacking and feels swallow

Freudian slip?
Armed_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 08:08 PM   #23
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I've been playing all weekend and i'm already bored of the single player. I agree with Vasot, the problem with single player is its not deep enough. The game is like an RTS / 4X strategy hybrid, but it lacks what makes single player in either format enjoyable. With an RTS you play the single player for the campaign, and to watch the story line unfold and watch the occasional pretty cinematic. Sins has no single player campaign, all you can do is play "skirmish" against the computer. With a 4X game like Gal Civ 2, I personally play to insult the diplomats of the other races and provoke them into war, only to watch them get pwned by the fleet of uber warships I spent all time designing and building. Sins has very little diplomacy in the single player campaign (only "demands"), the tech tree is small and mostly uninteresting, and there is no ship designing. Cap ships gain power ups with experience, thats about it.

I'm still having fun with online play, except for the rare crash and occasional balance issue, which will probably be fixed with a future patch.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 11:15 PM   #24
Tomato

The game has some serios balance issues. The missile cruisers can just be built in mass and lay waste to any planet in minutes. There is no goo counter till the end of the game.

Missile cruisers need to be nerfed.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote