Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-08, 12:01 PM   #1
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Default unusual performance decrease...any ideas?

I installed Natural Mod 2.0 and then decided I didn't like it as much as the vanilla game with a few of my own tweaks. I uninstalled Natural Mod 2.0 but I was unable to get the game back to vanilla even after replacing the vanilla levels from a backup. I've heard of others having this problem.

So, I uninstalled Crysis and put it back on. I patched the game with the 1.1 patch. Before I played it, I installed iTunes and was messing around with setting up network drive access. Today I tried to play Crysis for the first time since I reinstalled it and the performance was about 50% worse than before. This is in Vista32, DX10, very high.

The first thing I did was uninstall and then reinstall the 169.25 drivers. That didn't change anything. Next, I thought it was because of iTunes so I uninstalled iTunes. After uninstalling iTunes the game was smoother and the framerate improved some but was still about 7 fps less than it has been.

I tried uninstalling a few other little things that I've installed in the last 5 days with no improvement. This is very strange. I'm not sure why my performance is suddenly 7fps worse than it has ever been.

Any ideas? Not that it matters much now since I'm reformatting and reinstalling Vista.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 01:27 PM   #2
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Default Re: unusual performance decrease...any ideas?

Where's the config for your movie/grainy mod for crysis?
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-08, 01:59 PM   #3
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
Where's the config for your movie/grainy mod for crysis?
LOL. You're not gunna let that go are you. I started working off of the Natural Mod 1.2 TOD files but I found that there were some problems with the moon (strange, I know). I posted about the issue over at crymod and Pydon (Natural Mod creator) tried to address it but nothing seemed to work. I ended up scrapping the Natural Mod TODs and tried my hand at making my own. It was just more work than it was worth and I ended up just changing the grain variable to '0.20' in the vanilla games TOD files and exporting the changes to the .pak files.

I could upload the changed TOD files but honestly, it would be just as easy for you to open the levels up in sandbox2, change the variable, and then export it yourself. Even if I did upload the TOD files you'd still have to use sandbox2 to replace the TOD files and export them to engine. It'd be more worth it for me to upload my TOD files if I had made more changes.

Maybe someday I'll get around to doing a full "Cinematic" mod, but right now I don't want to invest the time into it. It took long enough to change the Natural Mod TOD files to the way I wanted them only to find there were some pretty noticable glitches in the game and I just don't want to make that time investment again right now.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Old 02-05-08, 03:03 PM   #4
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

I can't let it go, the mod looked too nice. That's ashame it's not happening though. =/ I'm way too inept to figure out the tod's. I'll just consider it vapor heh. Thanks for getting back to me.

As for your issue, I swear I've read other's whom have used the 2.0 natural mod getting the same issue, even after un-installation, I know a 2.0.1 HOTFIX was made, did you install that?
Old 02-05-08, 03:35 PM   #5
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
I can't let it go, the mod looked too nice. That's ashame it's not happening though. =/ I'm way too inept to figure out the tod's. I'll just consider it vapor heh. Thanks for getting back to me.

As for your issue, I swear I've read other's whom have used the 2.0 natural mod getting the same issue, even after un-installation, I know a 2.0.1 HOTFIX was made, did you install that?
I didn't know there was a hotfix for the latest Natural Mod. I should have tried that out but I've already reinstalled Vista. I'll soon be getting Crysis back up and running. It's been a pain and I'm probably going to avoid mods with installers for a while. I'd prefer it if mod makers would just give me the raw files and let me incorporate them myself.

Old 02-05-08, 04:41 PM   #6
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Yeah the first natural mod screwed up all my save files, none would load, EVEN AFTER I UNINSTALLED THE MOD. I hear 2.0 has the same issue.
Old 02-05-08, 05:21 PM   #7
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Ok, this is very strange. After reformatting, reinstalling Vista, and a fresh Crysis install with the 1.1 patch I'm still getting 7fps lower than I was a few days ago with the exact same settings? WTF is going on?

Old 02-05-08, 05:50 PM   #8
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Is there a part (hardware) your not oc'ing that you usually do?

Old 02-05-08, 06:05 PM   #9
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Is there a part (hardware) your not oc'ing that you usually do?
Nope. Everything's running just as it was a few days ago. I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Old 02-05-08, 06:42 PM   #10
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

dying psu?
Old 02-05-08, 07:07 PM   #11
grey_1

Shot in the dark - is your card throttling? Verified clock speeds?
Old 02-05-08, 07:34 PM   #12
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Wow. You will never guess what was causing this! I believe what happened was that my "Windows Experience Index" (WEI) got reset a few days ago so it was saying 1.0 by default. The reason I think this is because today after reinstalling Vista I let the WEI run prior to installing any system drivers including the video drivers.

I then loaded everything back up including Crysis and I was still getting the same reduced performance. I couldn't figure it out. It just so happened that I had not bothered to place any Crysis shortcuts on the desktop and so I was using that little 'games' button from the start menu to start Crysis up. When you click on an icon in the games dialogue box it will show a picture of the game on the right with your WEI score and the games recommended WEI score. That's when I noticed that I had not run WEI since I had finished installing all my system drivers. It was saying my WEI was 1.0 and Crysis requires at least a 3.0.

I ran the WEI again and my score was 5.0. This is beside the point, but WEI rates my memory at 5.0 for some strange reason even thought it's fast and I have a lot of it. I don't know what that's about. Everything else in my system is 5.7 and above. Anyways, after running WEI I booted up Crysis again and now everything appears to be running just as it was a few days ago.

So there you go. I don't understand why that score should have any effect on a systems performance at all but it does. Strange huh.