Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-08, 10:31 AM   #1
CS1

Default NVIDIA quadro: stuck with drievrs for RedHat 8.0

Dear List,

I've been using my NVIDIA graphic card for years now, but some weeks ago the X of my linux box Red Hat 8.0) failed to start upon booting.

The suggestions I received so far were to re-install the drivers, but the ones I have tried required to recompile the kernel.
But the kernel was compiled with gcc-3.2 and my default compiler is 2.9. I've then tried to install the 3.2 compiler, but a chain of failures started (failed dependencies and conflicts) that nobody here is able to sort out.

Please: any suggestions on how to reinstall the drivers without getting this crazy, please?

Any help would be GREATELY appreciated.

Claudia
CS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 01:21 PM   #2
valdis

Default Re: NVIDIA quadro: stuck with drievrs for RedHat 8.0

Unfortunately, RH8 is *ancient*, and you're quite likely to have massive trouble getting gcc and everything upgraded while still staying on RH8. You probably want to consider a massive upgrade to Fedora 8, RHEL 5, or CentOS 5 (depending on your attitudes regarding rate-of-change and support contracts). It will be painful, but at least then you'll have a fighting chance with modern software...
valdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 02:10 PM   #3
Linuxhippy

Well updating to a recent linux would probably the best option.

However, could you post some logs like syslog, xfree-log and so on, maybe its a simple problem and can be fixed by simple configuration adaptions.

Good luck, lg Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-08, 11:05 PM   #4
valdis

She will have no joy in trying to build the module with a different compiler than the kernel was compiled with - this is *ESPECIALLY* critical for gcc in the 2.96 to 3.2 era, where there *were* changes in calling conventions (passing small structures on stack versus in registers, etc). It's *possible* to beat the snot out of it and make it work, but it's in the category "If you have to ask how to do it, you're probably not techie enough to get it right"....

That plus if she's on RH8, she's got about 4 or 5 *years* of security patches that need to be put on her box before she gets pwned (if she isn't already)...
Old 02-09-08, 04:49 AM   #5
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

You probably just ran out of disk space. If you don't have enough disk space, X won't start. This was the same thing that happened to me with my RH9 install. After freeing up some un-needed disk space, X started again.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-08, 10:12 AM   #6
Linuxhippy

@valdis: Don't you think she has a reason why she runs such an old version, especially when she knows about kernel, compilers and so on?
Furthermore, why don't you think she has to recompile?
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 04:07 AM   #7
CS1

Dear all,

Thanks A LOT for all your answers.

The problem is that the RedHat machine is a crystallographic workstation with a huge number of softwares installed. Changing the operating system would mean a couple of months interruption of calculations and I'm not even100% sure that all the softwares I need work under the new Linux versions.

I thought I could do this during summer, but not now, unless of course it is the only way out.

In fact, valdis, I'm not techie enough as you correctly guessed to make all the "corrections" you indicate. I'm only slightly more than a user, I'm afraid, and not an advanced administrator.

Thanks for letting me know the big jump that there is between the gcc 2.9 world and the 3.2 one. I understand now why things get so complicated.

Please, I've attached the XFree86.0.log in case anybody can help.

Your suggestions are VERY VERY helpful and eductational for me.

Many many thanks,

Claudia
Attached Files
File Type: log XFree86.0.log (125.6 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-11-08, 10:53 AM   #8
valdis

Fortunately, the XFree86 logs shows that you're possibly not as hosed as you thought. It very well may be that all the pieces you need are still on the disk, but your X server just can't find them, based on what I'm seeing in the XFree86 log...

One bad sign in there:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
dlopen: libGLcore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
(EE) Failed to load /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"

However, that may just be a broken symlink, and we should be able to get basic non-3D back without that.

The interesting part:

(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.o
(II) Module vesa: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
compiled for 4.2.1, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.5
(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset vesa found

which says to me that its not even *trying* to load the nvidia driver.

You want to look in /etc/X11 for a file called XOrg.conf or similar (I frankly have forgotten what it was called in RH8 . In there, there will be a line that looks something like:

Driver "vesa" (or possible "vesafb")

Change that to:

Driver "nvidia"

and try again - there's a good chance it will *still* fail, but post the XFree86 log again in any case.

(As an aside to LinuxHillpie: I didn't say she didn't have to recompile - I said that due to the compiler level mismatches, she will have a rough time if she *does* have to recompile. But fortunately, she may not have to....)

Old 02-20-08, 05:52 AM   #9
CS1

Default Re: NVIDIA quadro: stuck with drivers for RedHat 8.0

Dear Valdis,

It took some time... I don't know if you still have the time and patience required to go through this.

The file you commented contained the modifications introduced to try to overcome the problem, but it didn't work well.

Meanwhile, I realised that, when I had updated the kernel years ago, I did not remove the previous ones from the computer and I am not sure I even re-installed the Nvidia drivers upon updating the kernel, which suggested to me that there should be a way around this problem.

So, upon rebboting, I loaded the previous kernel (2.4.18-14) and installed the Nvidia drivers (and they installed all right!!). The XFree86.0.log file is attached.
The GUI seems to work fine for most of the programs I need (I'm getting a segmentation fault message with two softwares, but I stil have to understand if this depends on the specific data I'm trying to process).

Upon reebooting, I then tried to load the most recent kernel (2.4.20-20.8smp) and the X server doesn't start in this case.
Please, do you think that I could do something, according to the corresponding XFree86.0.b.log, to make this kernel work as well?

Many many thanks,

Claudia
Attached Files
File Type: log XFree86.0.log (22.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: log XFree86.0-b.log (17.3 KB, 88 views)
Old 02-20-08, 12:05 PM   #10
valdis

OK, good.. if you have *a* kernel on your box that still works with the nvidia drivers, that means that most of your stuff is Just Fine, and all we have to do is get you a kernel module built for the kernel that doesn't work...

Unfortunately, it may take me a few days to look further into it - I'm currently trapped all week in a Cisco class, and then I already have plans for the weekend, so I'll likely not get a chance to look at it in depth until Monday-ish...
Old 02-20-08, 03:30 PM   #11
CS1

Next week is absolutely FINE!!!!!!

Thank you SO much!

CS1
Old 03-26-08, 07:45 AM   #12
CS1

Please, anybody who could help me, maybe following the suggestions of valdis:

"...all we have to do is get you a kernel module built for the kernel that doesn't work..."

Maybe, please, somebody knows where I could find the kernel module built for the kernel that doesn't work (2.4.20-20.8smp)?

Thanks a lot!

CS1