Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-22-08, 11:55 AM   #1
TimeOut
Illegal Inman Grant

Default The End For Blu-Ray?

Interesting article. IMO, it puts things in the proper perspective.

http://www.scientificblogging.com/sc...definition_dvd
TimeOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 12:16 PM   #2
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Default Re: The End For Blu-Ray?

Has anyone else started to see HD-DVD ads on TV?
J-Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 12:59 PM   #3
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag
Has anyone else started to see HD-DVD ads on TV?
Yes sir, I have.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 01:08 PM   #4
CDE_1246

Send a message via AIM to CDE_1246

Blu-ray is way too expensive just like every other Sony product.
CDE_1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 01:10 PM   #5
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Keep hope alive.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 01:23 PM   #6
TimeOut
Illegal Inman Grant

OMG. Amazon is selling the Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player for just $125.

It Includes in the box the movies 300 HD-DVD and The Bourne Identity HD-DVD plus a Mail in Rebate for 5 other HD-DVD movies.
TimeOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 01:27 PM   #7
mumstheword

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut
OMG. Amazon is selling the Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player for just $125.

It Includes in the box the movies 300 HD-DVD and The Bourne Identity HD-DVD plus a Mail in Rebate for 5 other HD-DVD movies.
mumstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 02:57 PM   #8
Lyme

The most important thing to remember, is that if HD-DVD looses, it doesn't mean BlueRay wins.

Take me for instance. I bought a $200 hd-dvd addon for my 360, and ten movies. Discounting the movie purchases, I'm out $200 for a player.
Consider that BD is the winner. What is the cheapest BD player I can get, that supports the full BD standard (or most of it)? The PS3, and it is running at $399. Should I spend $200 more than I spent on my hd-dvd player to get the same experince?

No, I don't think so. HD-DVD loosing, means that BD needs to come down in price by at least $200 before I will buy in. Don't bother telling me the ps3 is a great games console, sure it is, but I don't want another console, so it doesn't matter. HD-DVD loosing, doesn't mean I'll switch to BD, it means that no one will get my money.

And that is how, one side loosing, doesn't make the other side a winner.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-08, 03:17 PM   #9
nicorulez

Perspective?? This guy is an idiot. There is not one iota of fact; it is fabricated upon his opinion alone. First of all HD DVD is in trouble. I have the player and am pissed I paid what I did for it. Studios are leaving en masse. Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD by a 85:15 ratio over the past few weeks. In fact, even with Toshiba doing a fire sale the Blu Ray players are selling more. Why, the movies are going to Blu Ray. Beta was better than VHS technically, but lost badly. HD DVD is elegant and an easy transition from DVD; it should be a no brainer. However, Sony's marketing muscle and alliance with Disney, Sony Movies (DUH), and now Warner is bad news for HD DVD. Money and sales will determine who wins. Right now, Blu Ray is in the minds eye and media's eye. The PS3 is doing better and likely to have a banner year. Even MS is stating that they would consider a Blu Ray add-on if that format wins. Think about it.
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 03:19 PM   #10
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Perspective?? This guy is an idiot. There is not one iota of fact; it is fabricated upon his opinion alone. First of all HD DVD is in trouble. I have the player and am pissed I paid what I did for it. Studios are leaving en masse. Blu Ray is outselling HD DVD by a 85:15 ratio over the past few weeks. In fact, even with Toshiba doing a fire sale the Blu Ray players are selling more. Why, the movies are going to Blu Ray. Beta was better than VHS technically, but lost badly. HD DVD is elegant and an easy transition from DVD; it should be a no brainer. However, Sony's marketing muscle and alliance with Disney, Sony Movies (DUH), and now Warner is bad news for HD DVD. Money and sales will determine who wins. Right now, Blu Ray is in the minds eye and media's eye. The PS3 is doing better and likely to have a banner year. Even MS is stating that they would consider a Blu Ray add-on if that format wins. Think about it.
+1
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 03:57 PM   #11
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Do you know how quick studios can change their mind? It's not like they signed a lifetime exclusive contract to Blu-ray.

And like it's been stated earlier, just because HD-DVD "dies" doesn't mean blu-ray will sell well. Who's going to pay $500 for a player? Sure as hell not the average American consumer. How about a $100 player? Now you're talking.

As of THIS VERY MOMENT (not talking about what studios might or might not release 6 months from now), HD-DVD is not really any worse than blu-ray. Most movies are currently available on both formats. Now if Toshiba drops the price on the A3 to $100 and offers 7 free movies, and moves 20 million units, how fast do you think the movie studios will change sides?
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 03:58 PM   #12
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

grasping at straws imo.