Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-08, 12:12 AM   #25
JigenD

Default Re: Lost Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13
how did you beat the bird like creature? You know the 1st real boss. He's taking almost half my HP with his hits...which is bull****.
I got the game today, and I actually beat him on my first try, but I saw on another forum that he was tough, so I was ready mentally.

OK, the best tips I can give are, you'll have to use a lot of items and as much white magic to heal as possible. I believe he is wind type so have the mortal guy use fire magic as much as possible (according to the manual, fire is good against wind, but I actually used stone and it seemed very effective, and it's supposed to be weak against wind, so I have no idea), and I just had the others melee. I spent a few rounds only healing, revive whenever possible. I ended with one character dead, and one with 21HP and one with 82HP, although I could have healed a few more times, but I just felt it was getting close to being dead.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 10:59 AM   #26
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited1
It's old, but it's still relevant..

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

ive seen the light! they are all the same! sad thing is 30 minutes later and im only half way through it. damn that list is huge.
Old 02-14-08, 11:20 AM   #27
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Just got this game yesterday and have put about 4 hours into the game. I must say, WOW, I love it. Recent RPGs have tried too hard to re-invent the wheel that it's pretty refreshing to pick up an old school RPG in this new gaming era. I'm having a blast and simplying enjoying this game. The story so far is a little cliche (of course, duh), but the characters themselves are incredibly interesting and well fleshed out (so far). Big thumbs up by me.
Processor: Core 2 Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB - OC @ 3.2 GHz Liquid Cooled
Memory: 4GB Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (2 x 160GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ 2 x 16MB Cache
Storage Drive: 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 16MB Cache
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI

XBOX LIVE: Kungfujoe126 - Catch me on NBA 2K9!
PSN: Severian126
Steam: Sever126

Currently Playing: Fallout 3 (PC), NBA 2k9! (360), Dead Space (PS3), Silent Hill Homecomings (360), Fable 2 (360)

Quote:
Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who is in command here.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 12:26 PM   #28
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Once you get past the 2nd boss it really starts to pick up the pace and the characters start opening up to each other which fleshes them out more.

Went to bed thinking about the game and woke up thinking about it...this is a good sign

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 04:15 PM   #29
JigenD

The second boss (worm thing) was INCREDIBLY tough for me. Took me like 6 tries, and then it makes you play another 40 minutes just to get another save point. Still I was able to do it.
JigenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 01:29 AM   #30
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13
how did you beat the bird like creature? You know the 1st real boss. He's taking almost half my HP with his hits...which is bull****.
I had to level up in order to beat him! ^^ Seriously this game is much more difficult than any ff game out there, and actually provides a challenge. The fighting system and skill system are just plain boring though - after having played FFXII for hundreds of hours, Lost Odyssey just feels like the early FF games in 3D(which isn't a bad thing, but we've seen and played it all before).

Something else that bothers me is that you can't increase the fight speed. So it takes like forever to level up your characters. The ring in ring thing is nice though, and adds something extra to the otherwise boring normal attack command. And the game sometimes stutters for no apparent reason(might just be my console). The graphics are top notch and there seems to be very little, to no, aliasing!

The story is much more political than the FF ones and the dreams of the protagonist adds depth to it.

Pros:
+Graphics
+Story
+Characters
+FF for xbox360
+Ring assembly
+Challenging
+boss fights!
+dreams
+ring in ring thing for extra damage

Cons:
-fighting system
-stuttering
-bad voice-acting(applies to all FF games as well)
-boring skill and level up system
-battles are SLOW
-camera angles
Old 02-15-08, 09:10 AM   #31
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

I agree with pretty much everything you said except the battle speed (matter of preference I know) as I feel like they are just right. There aren't as many battles as say FFXII so maybe that's why I don't think about the speed much.

The stuttering is there..I figure it was just Mistwalker not getting a handle on UE3. I wish less companies used UE3..getting tired of the issues with it.

The emotional part near the end of disc 1 (if you've gotten there then you know the part I mean) was pretty powerful yet reminded me of the difference between western story telling and Japanese story telling. It can be a bit jarring at times because they just expect you to go along with them and not ask "why". It made it harder for me to feel for the characters the way that they presented it as I had no time to get to know them or feel invested in them. Maybe it's just me....

I can't really explain what I mean any better without spoiling it.

Ahh well..I'm really enjoying the game so far. The party is at 5 members now. The kids are the best children characters I've ever seen in a game. I normally HATE when they add little kids to a movie or game since I feel it dumbs down the whole experience.

I think it's a testament to the story and character building of the game itself. These kids have been through a lot and it shows.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 09:21 AM   #32
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Alright so, after relaxing with this game and some 100 proof vodka, here are my impressions.

A little slow so far. But I'm not yet past the point where everyone talks about how amazing it is.

You play an immortal, and so far, this appears to have exactly no impact on how battle plays out. I'm disappointed. Maybe this changes, or I haven't noticed it yet. On the plus side, getting a game over and choosing continue appears to just point you back at the beginning of the latest area, and not at the last save point. I've only gotten game over once though on the first boss, so who knows. You only really need it for the bosses, so thank god they're done with that stupid "You just lost an hour of grinding and plodding through random battles to get to the boss from the last save point" nonsense.

The Thousand Year Dreams are great. I love em. Jansen is awesome. If he's not voice acted by Bruce Campbell, the guy is doing an amazing job of channeling him.

I enjoy combat well enough. I've heard weird things about the load times, but mine seem very brief. I wonder if it has anything to do with which dvd-rom your xbox has or the quality of the DVD pressing or something like that.

All in all I look forward to playing it some more this weekend.
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-08, 03:54 PM   #33
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

toss, have you playd through ff12? The voice acting in that is pretty freaking awesome. Van does kinda suck at times, but everyone else pulls it off wonderfully. Although if you dont like the whole shakespear knockoff, then i can see it getting on your nerves.

The gamestrailers review didnt show off the voice to much, although what I heard was good. I'll need to look up some youtube vids of it.
Old 02-16-08, 12:26 AM   #34
jjahshik32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Why anyone would want to play a re-make of a re-make of a re-make, I don't know.

LO looks pretty good in the trailers so far http://www.gametrailers.com/player/30432.html
Lol, your describing same things with most games such as Doom,Wolfenstein, Halo, Bioshock, Half life, why make a remake of a remake of a remake of a remake.

Anyways, to all those sony fanboys out there, i'm neither I own a ps3, xbox 360, wii, etc.. Anyways, just because the ps2 had *hit loads of rpg's dont mean that it will stay that way forever. I still think to this day that its weird for rpg's to be on the ps1/ps2 because THE best rpg games were on the nes/snes. Ever since final fantasy 1 on the nintendo entertainment system all the way up to final fantasy VI/japan version was THE best. Also the us released final fantasy 3 on the snes was the ****!! FF 7 was revolutionized as one of the first rpg's on 3d world so it was a bit hyped up and newer people gained interest on rpg's all of a sudden. ff 7 had nothing on ff3 (us version)!!

Sakaguchi gives you that excellent story telling with battle systems, to go with the beautiful music that touches your soul by uematsu. Also if you guys watch anime before, the guy who drew and wrote the comic books for an anime called "Slam Dunk" drew the characters for Lost Odyssey. Even to this day, the ff 3 (us version) I say us because japan version was numbered differently, I still love the music.

I'm waiting for ff13 and I hope with all the money its gone into it and with its new engine I hear that its changes the next gen rpg style that its a bad a$$ game. But so far from the videos it looks a little too kiddy like. I prefer more mature story telling and content. The characters look like the hundreds and hundreds of characters that I've seen in animes. But I hope that the new engine and the story is good.

Also I've been playing Lost odyssey for a week now and I can say honestly that this seems or rather it iS the true ff series. Final fantasy died long ago right after FF X. Because you know why, sure square soft isnt square soft anymore and its square enix and that they lost the *creator/producer/writer* (sakaguchi) of the ff series all the way from nes to today's ps2's ffX and the original ff series music composer as well uematsu.

Once you start Lost odyssey IMMEDIATELY you will feel the presence of the ff series from sakaguchi, uematsu. To me Lost odyssey is the new ff series, everything about the game feels like the next gen ff series just without cid. Think about it, the guy who brought you all the ff series that you LOVE left square enix and all they own is just the name final fantasy. And now the original ff series creator/producer/writer and even music composer together created a new company and mistwalker, slapped on a different name and just put in the same ideas as to what the next ff series would look like. Final fantasy XI and XII had similar characters and design just copied off of the characters of the ff franchise that square enix owns (that sakaguchi created) but everything is straying away from what ff series was and is. Just play lost odyssey and see what I mean, compare it to ff XI and ffXII. ffXII wasnt so bad except it had like a world of warcraftish kind of battle (which I thought wasnt so bad) but the story was wack and the characters were kinda not ffish to me. The ff series miss alot of the things that sakaguchi had such as passion, emotions, story telling, even the way the battle feels with the menu system. Just play the game and you'll see what i'm talking about.

If you own a xbox 360 you HAVE to play this game. You cant miss it, all the reviews out there are just not giving enough credit that should have been. I think it should be rated 9.3-9.6ish

My Rigs:

Computing: *Mac Pro Quad 2.8ghz 8 core, 16gb of (transintl) RAM, Nvidia 8800GT 512mb,(1st hd running OSX 10.5.2) raptor 10k 150gb drive, 3x 1TB hitachi deskstar 7200rpm 32mb cache drives with a 23" Apple Cinema Display.*
*Macbook Pro *Santa Rosa* LED 2.4ghz, 4gb (Crucial RAM) with a brand new Samsung 64gb SSD-SATA-II drive!*

Media Goodies: 52" Sony Bravia Xbr4 full 1080p and motion enhancer is Godly!!, Rotel ra-985(amp *nothing beats vintage!*)/yamaha v861(receiver/preamp), (speakers) B&W 805s x2 (as fronts), Digital Audio Towers and Woofers (as backs). Nec Lt240k 180" off the wall 720p/1080i Projector.

Sony Ps3 (as bluray player), Xbox 360 (flashed firmware) own every single game =), hddvd movies/bluray movies download via newsgroups on mac pro, using connect 360 stream right off xbox 360 to the 52" sony bravia xbr4!
jjahshik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 03:39 AM   #35
killahsin

im totally in love with this game. currently on disc 2
2 x msi 9600 gt oc's @ 760x1950.
4 gigs ram.
R.I.P. Ritual
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 06:35 AM   #36
ralinn
Masters

12 days until release over here!

I'm in danger of losing my job atm, so I have to save as much money as I can. I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to resist buying this game if I see it on the shelf.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote