Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-08, 11:29 AM   #1
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Send a message via MSN to Tuork
Default New'ish to linux and wanting to learn more

Hello my fellow nvnews-folk!

I'm working on some research at Uni and practically all of it will be done on linux, so I decided to install the distro the lab is using (Fedora 8) on my laptop (specs in sig - dual-booting with Vista home Premium).

Installation went without a problem and I am currently typing from a fresh install. Wireless seems to be working fine and it's nice and speedy. I haven't installed any additional drivers yet, so I'm guessing that's my next step.

I plan on getting accustomed to Linux so I want to use it as much as possible, henceforth, would you kind people, being uber linux users and all that jazz, be so kind as to recommend software I should download?
Things I need:
-Mp3 player
-divx/video player (VLC, right?)
-Chat (AIM and MSN Messenger)

I also have some additional questions I'd appreciate some help with:
- How can I add a wireless networks icon to my system bar?
- What other drivers besides GPU should I take into account?

erm... that's actually about it for now.

Any tips and tricks are gratefully appreciated.
Danke.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Tuork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 12:27 PM   #2
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo
Default Re: New'ish to linux and wanting to learn more

Amarok seems to be a very good music player, especially with large music collections.
VLC is very good. Xine is also good, though it's really a backend for other programmes to use.
Pidgin is a good chat programme. It's available for Windows as well as Linux, and seems to handle most chat systems very well.

Linux actually handles nearly any device without the need to download any drivers. GPUs are the main exception, due to the way Nvidia and ATI have in the past kept their drivers closed-source. The Nvidia drivers seem to be pretty easy to set up as long as you check the documentation first. I have never had any problems, though some people have had a bit of bother. Just check the Nvidia forums here. There is normally someone around that can help out if you do get into difficulties.

Anway, Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux. Have fun, and don't be afraid to ask

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 02:44 PM   #3
grey_1

Seconded on Amarok, vlc and Pidgin, although I do like Mplayer also.
Old 02-11-08, 03:55 PM   #4
bacon12

VLC is great but I prefer mplayer or kaffene. Depending on your dt, I would use kopete for KDE, and pidigin for gnome.

Amarok is a bit heavy, but if your specs are good you won't have any issues.

Just a thought Fedora is not a really great distro to learn for beginners, and I would suggest something easier at first.

Mandravia, or fork PCLinux have a really nice gui control center, and make packaging a lot easier. Any of the ubuntus are easy to use as well.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 04:15 PM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12
VLC is great but I prefer mplayer or kaffene. Depending on your dt, I would use kopete for KDE, and pidigin for gnome.

Amarok is a bit heavy, but if your specs are good you won't have any issues.

Just a thought Fedora is not a really great distro to learn for beginners, and I would suggest something easier at first.

Mandravia, or fork PCLinux have a really nice gui control center, and make packaging a lot easier. Any of the ubuntus are easy to use as well.
Debian Etch also - I had very little trouble with it as a novice myself, but everything one needs to dig deeper is there.

I haven't used FC since FC2, it was the last that didn't give me heartburn trying to do something simple like make the mouse work
Old 02-11-08, 04:36 PM   #6
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Thank you all for the replies.
I forgot to mention I did the installation for the computers at the labs so I've dealt with the nvidia drivers. Also, this is not my first time with linux. I mounted a webserver on Fedora 6 back in the day and I used Ubuntu here and there for some school assignments over the past 6 months. Mostly light usage, nothing really complicated.

By other drivers I was thinking more along the lines of audio drivers mainly. Aldo I seem to have audio, I want to make sure all is working properly (being on-board sound and all).

So, to sum it up:
-MP3's: Amarok
-vids: VLC
-chatting: Pidgin

New questions:
  1. -What are some useful shortcuts/commands to know?
  2. - Gnome or KDE? I think I've heard KDE is better, but I've only used Gnome in the past.
  3. - What are your opinions on Beryl? I've seen vids and it looks awesome.
  4. - Could I run any .exe with Wine? I'm interested in Adobe Flash and 3DS Max for my design clases.
  5. - Where can I configure standby/shutdown options? I want to be able to standby by pressing the power button. (On a side note: Hibernating takes AGES)
  6. - EDIT: Burning software!

Once again, thank's for all the input. Much appreciated.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Core2Duo T5550 1.86Ghz | 3GB DDR2 | 8600M GT 256MB | 250GB Hdd | BenQ FP202W 20" LCD | MX1000 mouse | Inspire T5400 5.1
Old 02-11-08, 07:15 PM   #7
grey_1

[quote=Tuork]

Quote:
New questions:
    Learn apt, grep, how to load/unload modules and compile your own test kernel for starters.
  2. - Gnome or KDE? I think I've heard KDE is better, but I've only used Gnome in the past.
    I love Gnome. Powerful and feature rich and stable. I have yet to use any version of KDE that hasn't crashed on me.
    Compiz-Fusion, It rocks.
  4. - Could I run any .exe with Wine? I'm interested in Adobe Flash and 3DS Max for my design clases.
    I believe wine handles Adobe products pretty well, all I've used is photoshop elements though. Wine is also a work in progress. Not every .exe will work, or work in a stable manner.
  5. - Where can I configure standby/shutdown options? I want to be able to standby by pressing the power button. (On a side note: Hibernating takes AGES)
    Never did this, but if you open your home folder and view hidden files, I think the configs are in there.
  6. - EDIT: Burning software!
    K3b worked great for me under KDE, I use nautilus for basics in gnome.

Once again, thank's for all the input. Much appreciated.
Just my humble 2c.
Old 02-11-08, 11:08 PM   #8
bacon12

Learn your shell commands. There are plenty of sites to help, here is one I love. Bruno is the man! http://brunolinux.com/

I prefer KDE, some love gnome. kde ftw! p

I only played with it when it was still beta, after the fork, and tried it again after they reunited under the new name, compiz-fusion. Still too buggy, and wasn't productive, just pretty. Meh.

Probablly not any exe, not sure about flash or 3DS. Search here. http://appdb.winehq.org/

dunno? Standby can be a pain in the arse.

6. - EDIT: Burning software

Only one for me K3b. I have used the xfce burner xfburn.

Old 02-13-08, 08:11 AM   #9
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Been busy with school. Hopefully I'll be able to play some more with this tonight.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how my endeavour turns out!

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Old 02-13-08, 12:28 PM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuork
Been busy with school. Hopefully I'll be able to play some more with this tonight.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how my endeavour turns out!
You'll get hooked.

I don't know about FC lately, I heard it's come a long way, but if you ever tire of playing with rpms I would strongly suggest loading up Debian 4.0. Either way, looking forward to your thoughts on FC.
Old 02-18-08, 08:07 AM   #11
Tuork
Official pain in the ass

Urgent question:
WHERE THE HELL can I manage my wireless connections????

I've been dealing with installing a Cluster monitoring solution (Ganglia) and it's taking more time than I anticipated. Now I have to install Apache server and PHP. Ugh.
If anyone has any helpful links, it would be much appreciated.

Dimitri:
Dell XPS M1530
Old 02-18-08, 04:24 PM   #12
bacon12

Connection manager should be in your control panel.

I don't know what all your needs are, but I have used XAMPP. Easy to install.

Also webmim is an awesome tool.