Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-08, 10:54 PM   #61
trivium nate

Default Re: Dreamshots of Crysis... w00t!

Yo haters can stfu!
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 06:02 PM   #62
SeriTonin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudazo
And most people playing the game probably don't know what tangent space normal maps, sub-surface scattering, tri-stripping, etc. are but that isn't a requirement to play the game.
No, but the knowledge of these things, I personally feel, is what separates a pc gamer from a console gamer.
SeriTonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-08, 06:55 PM   #63
spirited1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriTonin
No, but the knowledge of these things, I personally feel, is what separates a pc gamer from a console gamer.
Most pc gamers won't know what those things are.

AA and AF, they *just about* get, and that's only becasue it was mentioned as a tool tip popup when they were looking at the options of their fav game. They know it makes the graphics look better, but they don't know why or how. And further more they don't care, either.

Sub-surface scattering? Forget it. If I was to throw out a random arbitrary number here, I'd estimate not more than 2% of pc gamers know what sub-surface scattering is. Hell, I bet it's less than 1%.
Old 02-18-08, 07:21 AM   #64
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Nano> To better understand the difference on Bloom vs HDR (and we have already established that Bloom can be HDR but for now we say it's not, Think Oblivion)

Bloom, is a more simple aproach to do these "glare" effects, commonly seen in last generation of PS2 games as an example - a simple glare effect, where as HDR is to more acuratly simulate how we percive light or dark vs light. Or better yet, think of it as a camera effect. (read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging for a good real life example of what hdr does in games) HDR also produces this "bloom" or glare effect, i guess it would look very odd if it didnt. Due to hdr being more advanced then a simple bloom/glare effect it also affects bright colors and it's exaggerated alot in games, else you prolly wouldnt see the effect.

It's fun to play around with the HDR effect in old Farcry with 1.2/1.3 or what not patch installed, to get a feel for it and what it does for the colors on screen and what vs when it applies.

I like "high" HDR to the point as where it glares/blooms alot, it makes the image softer and not as hard and contrast as games look without hdr.
When I create images in photoshop i always add a bloom effect to them so they look more alive.

Here's an experiment you could do in Photoshop.
Take any image or screenshot without HDR,
Copy first layer to second, add radial blur it and change the layer blending mode to "screen". - Typical "Glare" effect you see in for example Guildwars (unless real HDR was added in one of the expansion packs..)

2. new image again, select all white with a good treshold using color select.
Then create a second empty layer and fill that selection with white, duplicate that layer and then merge them but not with your background, add some blur and presto- Your average "Bloom" effect.

HDR on the other hand, ive no good tip for.. as it involves a bit of both, but only for bright colors in contrast to dark. If everything is bright, there will be less "bloom" in the screen ... so. The effect is more advanced.

---
Your typical HDR effect in games also simulates going from a dark room into a light one where everything is overbright untill your eyes adjust and vice versa. Bloom does not.

Can't think of more at the moment and I also must go back to work lol
Really nice shot's btw. I must go buy this game because Im missing out!

EDIT: Ok to create your own HDR effect in PS, you could take a second copy of any image, tonedown the shadowrange, and strengthen the bright ones, blur it and do as example 1, with the "glare" effect, but perhaps with layerblend Color Dodge or Color Burn, or just a combination with a layer of Screen. For true HDR, lookup "tone mapping" on wiki. That's how photagraphers do it.
Ive not tried it my self, but I suspect it will work, Ill try it later on some images.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 08:07 AM   #65
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudazo
And most people playing the game probably don't know what tangent space normal maps, sub-surface scattering, tri-stripping, etc. are but that isn't a requirement to play the game.

Dont worry, i know what bloom and HDR lighting is in general, i also know what surface scattering does, and POM, and perpixel lighting etc. Thing is, i got confused when he said that it was too much bloom in those pics. AFAIK crysis uses a fine HDR, not some cheap bloom. Appearantly HDR and bloom is the same in a way, and that he meaned "too much HDR lighting/overexposed HDR" in those shots. No big deal really.

EciDemon, thanks for the information...
Old 02-19-08, 09:37 AM   #66
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosuitguy

See this picture is an example of how NOT do do lighting. I know the map was made like this and isn't a result of anything on your part but these guys setting the light and hdr settings for these maps have clearly forgotten what real life looks like. It's very hard on the eyes becuase it just doesn't look natural. It actually looks pretty terrible to be honest and there are at least 4 or 5 custom made maps that all display this horrendous mis use of lighting and over the top color blooming that just doesn't exist in real life.

I realize that the crysis lighting engine is incredibly powerful but that just means that it has that much power to totally destroy any sense of realism just as it has the power to create breathtaking scenes.

the devs at crytek actually got it fairly right with their light settings as a lot of these custom maps seem to have love it or hate it lighting and it was easier for crytek to just take a neutral stance on the matter. A few simple hdr and ssao tweaks is really all it needs to get it looking good. It would take someone totally re-compliling all of the maps in the game with tweaked time of day and light settings to really make as much of an impact on the visuals as some of these that are well done showcase. Some of the custom maps with properly done lighting are jawdropping as we've all seen and I think once some of these talented modders take the time to give us those same truly spectacular lighting changes to the game that are catered to users with high end systems capapable of delivering the visuals, I think it will make it a totally new game.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 11:06 AM   #67
Nanosuitguy
call me Nano

Send a message via MSN to Nanosuitguy

well, a computer generated woman can look better than a real woman... Realistic isn't allways the best ya know. Personally i love that map and the way the light is.
Old 02-19-08, 11:08 AM   #68
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

well, I don't mind a little over-embellishing but when it becomes an eye sore and difficult to see things, yeah I tend to not like it. The contrast between dark and light in that map is just too over the top for me to enjoy. It's either blazing your eyes out or totally dark. There's no in between.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote