Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-03, 10:38 PM   #1
johncall

Default Freezing issues

Hello people, I''ve recently installed the NVIDIA Driver (ver: 1.0-4349) and am now experiencing occasional random freezings of my system. It appears that the most likely times when my system freezes is when it runs a screen saver (random) however I have also seen the system freeze during "normal" use (i.e. package managment). I really don't have any ideas as to why this would be occuring...I would really love your feedback and opinions on correcting this issue. That's sketchy I know.

Pertanent Information:
RIVA TNT2 w/ 64mb (as in /proc/.../0)
bios: 03.05.00.00.00
irq:11
AGP
Processor: Pentium III 650 Mhz
256 Mb RAM
20 Gb HD
Mobo: Asus P3B-F flashed w/ 1006

Thanks for your help.
John
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidiaconfigs.txt (53.7 KB, 181 views)
johncall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 03:17 AM   #2
Skeptikal

Send a message via ICQ to Skeptikal

I am running Mandrake 9.1 on a P3 AMD 900, Asus board, TNT2 (32mb) card with more than ample RAM etc... and was getting a freeze every day - the full hard lock up that only hitting the power switch would fix. It would die either with or without any user input !!!

Dont know if this is going to help you, but I have turned off all the advance power managment systems in my BIOS, disabled DPMS in my XF86Config file (for a screensaver I just go to a blank screen) and opted at the moment for the "NvAgp" "1" option to see how things go.

I have installed the latest drivers from Nvidia and so far the machine has been up and running 2 days without a hiccup.

Ammendum: I locked up again so I went for the NvAgp=3 option and have allocated memory to the card with a "mem=320M" in lilo.conf this pulls the top 64mb from my total RAM and so the card can have some memory to play with. It probably more than it needs but since I have plenty to spare I gave it twice the card RAM ..... so far so good - almost 3 days uptime without a glitch.

I may lack technical expertise but brute force and persistence will win the day !!

Be warned its early days for me and I am in the process of covering all bases before I consider I have bad RAM/CPU/Mobo and need to replace them .... going for all the non cost options at the moment

I may have cured my problem, I am feeling quietly confident at this stage ..... uptime: 05:14:10 up 6 days, 7:34, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Last edited by Skeptikal; 05-02-03 at 04:16 PM.
Skeptikal is offline   Reply With Quote