Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-08, 03:17 PM   #1
Lyme

Default Samsung sued for first gen Blu-Ray players

It is about time some of the companies that have been selling Blu-Ray players that do not meet the final spec get sued. While some of you may say that it is 'buyer beware' or that they knew what they were getting into as early adopters, you should be reminded that many players did not state on the box that they were "draft" or "early" specs, like wireless "n" routers did.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...y-players.html
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 03:46 PM   #2
bacon12

Default Re: Samsung sued for first gen Blu-Ray players

True, if most buyers were told they were beta testing these players I am sure they never would have bought it in the first place.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 03:53 PM   #3
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Hasn't this been a plague on all Blu-Ray players? This is the second time I've heard of compatibility problems, but the issue was not in the players but in the movie protection AFAIK.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 06:45 AM   #4
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
The PS3 has been solid as far as compatibility goes.

Funny that the video game console/blu-ray player is more future proof than stand alones.
Not really since the PS3 is a software player, a stand-alone must embed it into their firmware. Changing the spec when they want to is exactly how these problems occur. If you are going to be the originator of a spec you cannot simply change it at will with various releases of movies. So now Samsung gets a black-eye for something that is completely out of their control. Not a bad way for Sony to try and hold the Blu-Ray market captive if you ask me.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 08:09 AM   #5
Q

"Oh this is great! BlU-R4Y won! The format war is OVER! HAHAHAHAHAH HD DVD!!! M0R3 G1G4BYT3S!!!!"

Idiots.

I hope Samsung isn't the last to be sued.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 08:37 AM   #6
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
"Oh this is great! BlU-R4Y won! The format war is OVER! HAHAHAHAHAH HD DVD!!! M0R3 G1G4BYT3S!!!!"

Idiots.

I hope Samsung isn't the last to be sued.
It is ok Q... maybe the next format that is inferior will win out... then you can be happy... just like if HD-DVD had won this one.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 09:06 AM   #7
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
It is ok Q... maybe the next format that is inferior will win out... then you can be happy... just like if HD-DVD had won this one.
I honestly believe that the only three "advantages" that Blu-Ray has are:

1. Studio support. To some extent from the very beginning of this mess.
2. Higher storage capacity per layer.
3. The PS3

Evilchris and Superklye have already done a great job of addressing the technical advantages for HD DVD, so I'll save the repetition.

I assume you don't have an "out of spec" player, though.
Old 02-12-08, 09:13 AM   #8
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
I honestly believe that the only three "advantages" that Blu-Ray has are:

1. Studio support. To some extent from the very beginning of this mess.
2. Higher storage capacity per layer.
3. The PS3

Evilchris and Superklye have already done a great job of addressing the technical advantages for HD DVD, so I'll save the repetition.

I assume you don't have an "out of spec" player, though.
What technical advantages? Spam mail because OMG EVARY PLAYAR HAS AN EITHERNAT PURT 4 TEH WEBSITEZ N STUFZ!

Blu-Ray has PIP and whatnot now... so HD-DVD has useless web "enhancements"... and besides... I was just messing with ya Q... you know you and me is tight like dat mang.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-08, 10:28 AM   #9
Lyme

Quote:
Blu-Ray has PIP and whatnot now... so HD-DVD has useless web "enhancements.
You mean Blu-Ray with the newest spec has reached the pinnical of HD-DVD and it's useless enchancements?

Blu-Ray won, we all know that, and now the early adopters who were misled get to sue those who misled them.

However for Blu-Ray to overtake DVD and gain significant traction there needs to be at least two things done:
a) Stop changing the spec, and have players support the full spec [this is why Samsung is being sued]
b) Release a player at a reasonable non-enthusiast price (below $200, non-sale).
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 10:30 AM   #10
Q

Quote:
What technical advantages? Spam mail because OMG EVARY PLAYAR HAS AN EITHERNAT PURT 4 TEH WEBSITEZ N STUFZ!

Blu-Ray has PIP and whatnot now... so HD-DVD has useless web "enhancements"... and besides... I was just messing with ya Q... you know you and me is tight like dat mang.
It's cool, homes. Blu-Ray has finally gotten up to snuff for the most part.
Old 02-12-08, 10:53 AM   #11
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
I
ummm... excuse me? I have never seen one inciteful post by Superklye addressing the advantages of HD DVD. Evilchris has done a tremendous amount. Superklye either played parrot or acted like a retard(which got himself banned).

I'm all for giving credit where its due, and that guy doesn't deserve any.

Continue with the thread. And yes, Samsung deserved to be sued.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 12:20 PM   #12
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
ummm... excuse me? I have never seen one inciteful post by Superklye addressing the advantages of HD DVD. Evilchris has done a tremendous amount. Superklye either played parrot or acted like a retard(which got himself banned).

I'm all for giving credit where its due, and that guy doesn't deserve any.

Continue with the thread. And yes, Samsung deserved to be sued.
here comes tygerwoody's continuous flaming of superklye. leave it alone woody. it's over.

let it go.

that said, i agree, samsung deserves to be sued, as well as the other early versions that dont have the full feature set.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote