Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-03, 02:42 PM   #1
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Question Splinter Cell - nvidia vs. ATI

I was watching a friend play Splinter Cell on an almost identical system to mine. Same Mobo, processor and vid card. We used the FRAPS utility to monitor framerates. At 1024x768x32 with 2xAA and High detail settings (not highest), we were averaging between 25fps and 35fps (still seemed somwwhat smooth though) throughout the training mission. Worse yet was when you enable night vision. Then it dropped to around 15fps.

How does this game play on a G4Ti4200, 4600 or even 5800Ultra?

Anyone else able to test thier with FRAPS.EXE and play the training mission for a few minutes and give me an idea of thier performance?

Charles.
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 02:54 PM   #2
digitalwanderer

Default Uhm, guilty?

I was playing with it last night, but didn't have fraps on the first couple of times...but I also spaced and left quincux/2xAF on so it seemed a bit jerky on Bubbles for me.

I killed off AA & AF and fired up fraps and noticed that my low dips never really went below 29fps after that. (I think high details, medium shadows)

I was averaging mid-40s, 50s most of the time, it was just low-dips I was watching for. A VERY pretty game, and kind of fun too!

I did notice that when I played around with AA & AF later that when I tried night vision with AA & AF on it turned into a slideshow for me...but I really ain't got the CPU power to pull that off yet. I meant to see if I could get away with running quincux only on it, but haven't had a chance. (And doubt I'll get away with it with the lighting in the game, BEAUTIFUL lighting BTW. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 03:33 PM   #3
Rogozhin

ONly have my 9700 non pro. So can't give any feedback using nvidia cards.

We should do a fraps txt log entry on a specific level for a certain amount of time to get standardized benchies.

I will try it tonight and post on what level i did it and with exact settings.

Rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 03:45 PM   #4
RobHague
I like cheese.

Using the ingame FPS monitor i was getting about 40-50fps i believe it was, and 30fps with night/heat vision. No AA or AF and all the detail levels set to max.

Thats on a 5800 Ultra.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 03:48 PM   #5
digitalwanderer

What's the console command for the ingame FPS monitor?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 04-25-03, 03:58 PM   #6
Rogozhin

Here is my FRAPS txt log file.

This was on the prison level (same as 1st demo). STarted fraps log after it began and ran it for about 4.5 minutes. This IS a great way to benchmark, i suggest you all do the same.

Here is the log.

2003-04-25 13:47:57 - 1024x768 All options on highest, graphics and sound. NOAA and 8x performance AF.
Frames: 14052 - Time: 395929ms - Avg: 35.491 - Min: 14 - Max: 87

Rogo
Old 04-25-03, 03:59 PM   #7
Rogozhin

This was switching between night vision and regular, no Heat in real game at this level.

Rogo
Old 04-25-03, 04:01 PM   #8
RobHague
I like cheese.

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
What's the console command for the ingame FPS monitor?
Press F5 to bring down the console, think its F5 anyway - may be F2. Just try both till it pops up at the bottem. Then type Stat FPS.

There used to be a signature here, but now there isnt.
RobHague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-03, 04:11 PM   #9
Rogozhin

Fellas

that fraps log was with my 9700 running 300/300, i will do it again and repost my score.

Thanks

ROGO
Old 04-25-03, 04:42 PM   #10
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague
Press F5 to bring down the console, think its F5 anyway - may be F2. Just try both till it pops up at the bottem. Then type Stat FPS.

It's F2, thank you. Anyone know the bind command? "set input x" ain't working for me.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 04-25-03, 05:12 PM   #11
cvearl
Radeon 9700 Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by RobHague

Stat fps.... hmmmm. That would suggest that this is based on the UT2003 engine. That's the same command in that game.

Charles.
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 05:22 PM   #12
Rogozhin

Anyone willing to try my fraps txt log bench procedure?

Rogo