Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-03, 09:07 AM   #1
ajdranse

Default problems with nvidia driver and slack9

First off, sorry I haven't attached my logs, I'm at work so unable to access them right now (silly work disabled ssh). I will add a reply with them when I get home, but until then was wondering if anyone had any advice anyways.

I am running Slackware 9.0 with kernel 2.4.20. I use an Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS PRO (64mb ram). I recently just upgrade my processor/mobo/ram from an Athlon 1GHz/Asus A7V133/256mb pc133 SDRAM to an Athlon XP 2100+ (not overclocked)/Soltek SL-75FRN-L (nForce2 mobo, no onboard video though)/512mb DDR ram.

With my old mobo/proc/ram I could use the nVidia driver just fine, but after upgrading, whenever I try to start X, the screen goes black, except for a few lines of blue/green pixels at the bottom. My system isn't totally frozen, as I can ctrl-alt-delete to reboot, but the screen will stay black with those few lines of pixels until the system finishes shutting down and starts the POST again.

If I try to start with just the nv driver everything works fine, X starts great, I have no problems at all.

I have tried Option "NvAGP" "0" and same problem. I have tried starting with and without loading GLX, nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me,

Andrew
ajdranse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 06:40 PM   #2
ajdranse

Home now, attaching necessary files.
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (28.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-25-03, 06:42 PM   #3
ajdranse

Default XF86Config

-
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (15.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 04-28-03, 11:31 AM   #4
ajdranse

Nobody has any advice, at all? I've read everything I can think of on this board, as well as any other place I can find, total lack of info.

It's a real pain because I don't want to have to boot into windows just for gaming...

Thanks in advance is anyone does reply.
Old 04-28-03, 04:14 PM   #5
henkez

... might it not be a problem with running agp 8x..? I think I read somewhere that this might cause problems with kernel 2.4.20 and that kernel 2.5.xx and upwards will resolve that issue. Just a thought: Try running it on e.g. agp 1x and if that works up to perhaps 4x? Good luck!
henkez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 04:34 PM   #6
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Your X log is from the nv driver - it doesn't help if we're looking for a problem with the nvidia driver.

Please post a verbose log using the nvidia driver.

--andy