Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-08, 02:21 PM   #1
nicorulez

Default Great deal on Toshiba A30 HD DVD player

I saw this sweet Toshiba A30 player on Amazon for under a 150 bucks with free shipping. Moreover, they got the 5 discs for free rebate. I figure even if HD DVD goes out, the format is still excellent. Besides, it will be a hell of a collector piece. My only question to the guys with HD DVD players, on a 1080 progressive LCD or plasma, how would this be compared the XBox 360 add on?
nicorulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 03:06 PM   #2
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Default Re: Great deal on Toshiba A30 HD DVD player

All of the standalones are better than the 360 addon from what i've seen, just judging with my own eyes... but then 1080p HD DVD always looks awesome to me on any half decent set / player with some tinkering with the settings.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 03:27 PM   #3
Tr1cK
not coming back

Why would anyone, right now, want to spend $150 to watch only a handful of movies? HD-DVD has died this week. Toshiba is not making any more players. Wal-Mart backs Bluray along with Netflix, Bestbuy, Blockbuster, etc etc etc. Spending money on HD-DVD right now is pretty dumb IMO.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 03:50 PM   #4
nicorulez

I already have two Blu Ray players. There are literally a hundred plus HD DVD movies; some are still exclusive (for now). Granted, it is a hundred and fifty, but since it really is not that big of a financial deal to myself I said what the hey. Anyway, I can get 5 free movies and that would make the player really only about 50-70 bucks. Just because it is dying (or has die does not mean it is not high def and in every way superior to DVD. Anyway, it is likely comparable in build quality to my 400 dollar Samsung Blu Ray player.
Old 02-18-08, 04:11 PM   #5
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Thing is why would you buy one right now with the eventual fire sales that will follow once Toshiba formally announces there dropping support? Oh well.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 04:22 PM   #6
nicorulez

S.I.N. I guess I see your point. I have a feeling that this player may bottom out around 100 bucks, but I figure if I get in early enough I wont have to scrape the bottom of the barrell. Also, you do get the five HD DVD's so it is not a huge dealbreaker. I agree if it were still over 300 bucks, I would have definitely not have pulled the trigger. However, fifty buck is not big of a deal in the bigger scheme of things.
Old 02-18-08, 04:51 PM   #7
Tr1cK
not coming back

My point is, why buy it when people who already own it will be scrounging for all the movies they can get to justify their purchase? There's not much reason for you to buy it except low price. Since HD-DVD is dead, everything that's HD-DVD exclusive right now will eventually get put out on Bluray. I'd put the $150 towards a Bluray player or PS3 and have a much better investment.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-08, 06:11 PM   #8
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

Id buy 50foot 1/2 ID tygon tubing. Thats a good investment!

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-08, 12:14 AM   #9
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang

Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05

If HDDVD gets phased out, I doubt it will be a valuable collectors piece. Look at VHS.

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 12:26 AM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05
If HDDVD gets phased out, I doubt it will be a valuable collectors piece. Look at VHS.
you mean, look at betamax.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 04:19 PM   #11
nicorulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
My point is, why buy it when people who already own it will be scrounging for all the movies they can get to justify their purchase? There's not much reason for you to buy it except low price. Since HD-DVD is dead, everything that's HD-DVD exclusive right now will eventually get put out on Bluray. I'd put the $150 towards a Bluray player or PS3 and have a much better investment.
Trick, already have two Blu Ray players (including the PS3), so why another one. There are some cool movies on HD DVD and it does upconvert DVD's as well. The wife will like it.
Old 02-19-08, 06:29 PM   #12
npras42
Hi Everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicorulez
Trick, already have two Blu Ray players (including the PS3), so why another one. There are some cool movies on HD DVD and it does upconvert DVD's as well. The wife will like it.
In that case, put the $150 towards the upcoming movie releases on Blu-Ray that were previously exclusive to HD-DVD.

Don't Blu-Ray players upscale DVDs as well? I've only used a PS3 and I know that does.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote