Intel-Inside

Default Whats wrong with my pc?

Ok before i start off i think i better list my spec's:

Power Supply: Coolmaster 620W Sli-Ready
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
Motherboard: Inno3D nForce 680i Sli
Graphics: Inno3D Geforce 8800 GTS 512MB
Memory: Corsair 2GB 800MHZ

Right, i was playing CS;Source for about 5 minutes, just logged onto a server then suddenly, dun! Screen went blank nothing, no sound, no respond, nothing just a plane, blank screen totally. i had to crash my pc and start it back up normally.

Now i keep getting these crashes at certain times on like COD4 except when i was on COD4 my screen went blank and couldnt find a source like the GPU had shut down.

I recently replaced my card from a FAULTY XFX 8800 GT to this NON-OC'D 8800 GTS 512MB

So that should NOT overheat with normal temps, my case is definatly not hot and is kept cool inside i tried exhaust fans, i replaced all my case fans to more powerful ones.

Now all i can track this down to is my CPU is overheating or faulty memory.
Now, when the screen went blank it was like a blank picture on the pc was OVER It, the screen didnt go off completely like looking for a source between digital and analogue like COD4.

On CS;Source im getting an average 155 FPS and i pushed up all the AA to highest 16X, Could this cause any issues?

I really need an idea and help with this pc.

Thanks,
Matt
Intel-Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 05:09 AM   #2
Revs

Default Re: Whats wrong with my pc?

Upping AA shouldn't give you problems. Gonna need more info on your rig. Memory timings, OS, etc. I see your not OCing so that's not the problem. I would use Everest to double check all your temps, too. I assume this isn't a newly built rig and it's been OK until recently?

EDIT: Oh, and what case and how well ventilated is it?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 06:02 AM   #3
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

No sound? Rules out monitor.
Switched GPU? Rules out bad video card.

Most likely CPU or RAM. Highly doubtful it's PSU related. I'm leaning towards a CPU problem. Like Revs said, more info. needed.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 06:48 AM   #4
Intel-Inside

Windows Vista Home Premium - OS
Memory Timings are CL5 i think, CL4 or 5 but im pretty sure its 5 ill have to double check later.

I use NZXT Apollo Case. with

Rear Exhaust Fan
Side Fan Intake Air
Front Fan Intake Air

Also my CPU Fan looks like its streaming half the time, like going slow you know when it looks like its going backwards? but it looks as if its going very slow, i messed with ntune recently and lowerd the cpu fan to 90% then it looks like it was moving perfectly in a circle, then i did 100% and it looked as if it was slowing down like streaming slowly round and round.

Is this an optical illusion?

Also i did do that core temp program recently and it said idle temps were about 50c max, so im guessing load temps must be 70c max?

Ok im running Core temp now, just finished playing UT3, all cores are at 50c right now, does this core temp program monitor temperatures btw? i could monitor whilst in-game ill have a look at the program now and report back.
Old 02-13-08, 06:54 AM   #5
Intel-Inside

Ok sorry for double reply but here are the temperatures logged:

Max Temp Whilst In-game:
79c Reached (So say 80c Max for whilst loading UT3 Mission etc)

During game it went to about 75c whilst playing each core.

So what you say? Time for a new heatsink and fan, if so recommend me one for up to about 50 pounds max and ill order it.

Heres the temp log file btw:
http://rapidshare.com/files/91465512/Temp_Log.log.html

Please note these temps were just whilst loading and playing game for a couple of seconds / mins.
Old 02-13-08, 06:57 AM   #6
litri
Update Machine

Perhaps you messed up a bit too much with nTune... I have had bad experience with nTune.

Try to de-install nTune and see, if it persists it will be either memory or CPU as they previous posters said.

Cheers.
Asus M4A79 Deluxe
2x VTX3D 4850 1GB
1x WD Raptor 450 GB
1x WD Raptor 300 GB
1x WD Caviar se 160 GB
1x Plextor Premium CD-R\RW 52x/32x/52x
1x Plextor DVD-R\RW PX-760SA
Coolermaster CM690-II Advanced
Super Flower SF-1000P14HE Amazon 80plus
litri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 07:09 AM   #7
Intel-Inside

Iv'e reinstalled my whole pc since nTune as it did cause me problems too well it is in beta still (6.0) but the problems still are there with the stream etc.
Old 02-13-08, 07:23 AM   #8
Revs

First of all, uninstall nTune and use your BIOS for setting the fan speeds (set the CPU speed to 100%). Even with a stock Intel cooler those temps are too high. The max allowed temp on a Q6600 G0 CPU is 71*C and about 62*C on an older (non G0) CPU.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/Det...px?sSpec=SLACR

Everest is the best program for temp monitoring. It'll tell you the temp from any and all sensors in your PC. You could really do with doing a load test. Download this program...

http://www.ocbase.com/perestroika_en/index.php?Download

..it's a good, easy to use CPU tester. If your temps go much over 70*C while running the test, stop the test and look in to what's causing the CPU to get so hot. It does sound like a CPU overheat problem to me.

What cooler are you using and are you sure it's pasted propperly?

Old 02-13-08, 07:38 AM   #9
Intel-Inside

I have some genuine intel thermal paste i bought of ebay, should i remove the paste and apply the one i got off ebay, maybe its better? also im gonna try repositioning the cpu, also that everest theres different editions im confused on which one i need?
Old 02-13-08, 07:47 AM   #10
Revs

Get whichever one is free. I think it's the 'lite' version. But 1st you really need to go in to your BIOS and make sure you CPU fan is turned up. You may well be damaging it if it's overheating, as it sounds like it is.

Also, get some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Most PC shops will have it. Apply it as described on their website. Getting a good paste will help, but applying it correctly is an absolute must.

What cooler is it?
Old 02-13-08, 08:20 AM   #11
Intel-Inside

Its set to automatic control in the bios, i use the default cooler but im looking at the Artic Pro cooler on ebuyer.com with about 50 reviews it has and i think all positive, so i might try out that cooler only for 20 pounds and looks well good and has Rotation for the fan so you can point the fan towards the front of the case etc.

Shall i set the fan to Manual and 100% in the bios and try that?, automatic seems fine though really.

Thanks,
matt
Old 02-13-08, 11:05 AM   #12
Intel-Inside

I just played crysis for half an hour and it crashed again but this time when it crashed.

Its DEFINATLY the CPU now, the graphics card stays active because the screen has SOURCE it can find a connection to the graphics card otherwise the bluelight would flash on my screen attempting to find a source like my old GT.

Also i think i need to reconsider placing my exhaust fan in again as the heat coming from the pc of just playing is like a heater! really hot so i need to cool that down more.

And i did a memory test, windows vista one and no problems found with that.

So CPU?
Ill buy a new heatsink and fan.

Thanks guys anyways but im 100% sure my cpu is overheating, as when i turned on my pc the heat for it was 70c after.

Didn't someone say at 71c it has an auto shut-off?

Thanks anyways
Matt.