Default Re: Speakers...

why buy cerwin they suck big time
Old 03-02-08, 11:54 AM   #38
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qube
why buy cerwin they suck big time
To each their own partner. I'd prefer a tower with a 12" or even a 15" woofer over one with dual 6s or 8s. Just like the vintage and powerful look they offer.

If I find a pair of towers that are like my current ones anytime soon, I'll probably buy them over these Cerwin-Vegas. But, if by the time I have enough $$$ for the Cerwin-Vegas I still haven't found anything decent locally... I'll snag a couple of 'em. Might not go for the dual 15's though. That seems a tad bit excessive. Might go for the tower with a single 12" in stead. Would save me several hundred bucks.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 04:51 PM   #39
Aurthus

Cerwin used to be pretty good, word is not so much anymore.

but you asked earlier about a "newegg" type place.

www.crutchfield.com that's where i used to shop for speakers... when i was single lol

Bah.. i just looked and they seemed to have moved on from selling what your looking for to the newer type towers.
Have you thought of buying new components and just reusing your cab's?
A64 3500+ winnie : Ga-K8ns-939 mobo : Zalman 7000b-Cu Led Hs/F 24/35* idle/load : 2x512mb Mushkin pc3200 in Dc : Aspire 520W triple fan psu : Bfg 6800Gt Oc : 80gig Wd 7200 hdd : 2x Rosswell DL DvD+/-Rw : Saitek Gamers Keyboard : Logitech mx310 : 19" Envision CRT : Logitech Z3e : Aerocool Aeroengine-Jr Bk

Wifes Rig :: P4c 2.8 w/htt : Ecs mobo : 1Gig Ram : Leadtek A6200TD 8x1/3vp : 19" Envision Crt
Aurthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 09:31 PM   #40
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurthus
Cerwin used to be pretty good, word is not so much anymore.

but you asked earlier about a "newegg" type place.

www.crutchfield.com that's where i used to shop for speakers... when i was single lol

Bah.. i just looked and they seemed to have moved on from selling what your looking for to the newer type towers.
Have you thought of buying new components and just reusing your cab's?
That's essentially what I'm doing. My old LXI's (3-way, floor standing) are starting to go out and I'm wanting to get some more cabs or towers to replace them. I'm really liking the look of those Cerwin-Vegas as they'd better match my current towers in size.

Ideally I was going to use my current towers as the rear surround speakers and the new towers for the front speakers. But if all that is really available is the new skinny towers, I'd just use those for the surround speakers and my current towers for my fronts.

I'll look through Crutchfields offerings though... thanks for posting that. Hadn't thought about them.
Old 03-03-08, 02:13 AM   #41
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Yeah, you might be able to just pop some new speakers in your towers. As far as I know the crossovers and such will last forever...your speakers are what wear out over time.
lol

My current towers are fine... I've already put two new speakers in each tower. It's my LXI's that are starting to lose there sound. Can you guys give me anyplace to get good replacement speakers? These things are probably 30+ years old. If ya'll can get me a place to get good replacement speakers I'd consider just doing that as it'd probably be cheaper.
Old 03-03-08, 09:46 AM   #42
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
LOL- THIS is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

And honestly, THESE seriously peak my interest.

Overkill? Much I bet. Still, they look rockin'. Think I'm gonna' grab me four of 'em just for the heck of it!

God I'm gonna' be deaf before I'm 30... I know it.

HOLY HILLBILLY! $1k for two of 'em!!! Look's like I've got some savin' to do...
speakers are what you should spend the most money on in a HT system. A good pair of speakers will last you for 15 years, whereas other equipment like a TV/Reciever will go out of date in a couple of years.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 09:54 PM   #43
mythy
Single Male

hummm.... You guys are a bit nuts

I got a pair of Polk RTi 6's for my first set and a PCI SVS sub and they make a AWESOME home theater experience for 2.1 $900 in speakers and $600 for me Pioneer VSX receiver add a grand on my TV and I was done. I guess after cables and stands ect I was at $2,000 but still not bad at all. I surly wouldn't dump that solely on speakers

---Q6600 @3.45 430FSB - P5K Deluxe---
---1066 5-4-4-12 PL6! - 257 GTX OCed---
---ASUS Xonar DX - Dell 2407 24 LCD---
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 12:34 AM   #44
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy

I got a pair of Polk RTi 6's for my first set and a PCI SVS sub and they make a AWESOME home theater experience for 2.1 $900 in speakers and $600 for me Pioneer VSX receiver add a grand on my TV and I was done. I guess after cables and stands ect I was at $2,000 but still not bad at all. I surly wouldn't dump that solely on speakers
Well... I'm not the audio enthusiast... or atleast of the same breed of enthusiast that Zelda is. All of my speakers, save for my center, are from the 1980s. So technically they've lasted up to 30 years.

My reciever I got on my 16th b-day, and I've been using it since (almost 4 years). Just purchased another JVC reciever from Randsom about a week ago and finally got it hooked up today. So now I'm using both recievers and the sound is just incredible. Maybe for a true audio enthusiast like Zelda or evil_chris my setup might suck donkey-punch. But for me, the games I play, the music I listen to, and the occasional movie I might throw on the sound is superb. I'm more than pleased.

In audio equipment I might have spent maybe $1200. The rest was given to me by friends or family members.

Anyhow, I sure as heck wont soley dump a ton of money on just the speakers. Right now I'm satisfied with both receivers, and I want to slowly do a makeover on the speakers I'm using. I love the large cabinet style speakers, but can't afford those Cerwin Vegas. So I'm gonna' be droppin' by all the second hand shops and pawn shops in this area to see what shows up. Hopefully I'll get two more tower cabinets like my two curtis Mathes that I currently have. *Hopefully*...

Old 03-10-08, 05:53 AM   #45
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythy

Spend more money on speakers. It'll make your wang bigger.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-08, 12:24 PM   #46
OldGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Anyhow, I sure as heck wont soley dump a ton of money on just the speakers. Right now I'm satisfied with both receivers, and I want to slowly do a makeover on the speakers I'm using. I love the large cabinet style speakers, but can't afford those Cerwin Vegas. So I'm gonna' be droppin' by all the second hand shops and pawn shops in this area to see what shows up. Hopefully I'll get two more tower cabinets like my two curtis Mathes that I currently have. *Hopefully*...
The point here sounds like you have 30 year old speakers. 200 dollar a pair speakers don't last 30 years in general. The investment comes by buying good speakers today and giving them to your kids in 30 years. Curtis Matehs used to be high quality stuff back in the 70s. not a grand a pair but not 50 bucks each either.

Like I said before I have had my pair of Bose 10.2 since the 80's and they still sound great and look pretty good as well. I intend to give them to my kids when the time comes too.
OldGamer is offline   Reply With Quote