Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-08, 02:34 AM   #13
ViN86

Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
Do you do this to everyone? Are you an instructor from school? Either way you have no right to have the power over me and tell me that I need to work on my English. I'm fully aware that my grammar needs work (look at my sig) and I continue to improve.

If nVJoe wants to know exactly why Blu-ray is better then I will explain in details. I have expressed my opinion on why Blu-ray is better in general and this isn't thesis paper otherwise I'd backup my opinion with more than several references.

But to be honest, you didn't backup your position on why Blu-ray is better because HD DVD is dead. Or your comments on Profile 3.0.

Do you know Profile 3.0 refers to audio only Blu-ray? It can be done via software and Sony said they will update PS3 when needed. But it's mainly for Blu-ray audio player. There's not much infomation on Profile 3.0 so we shouldn't worry about it. At least for now. There's rumors about Profile 4.0 where it may add iHD and other features.

I still stand by my opinion that Blu-ray is better.

-higher storage capacity than hd dvd discs (50 gb vs 30 gb)
-higher bandwidth (48mbit/sec vs 30mbit/sec)
-has more studio support (more movies)
-improved with codec/audio and now matches to hd dvd if not better
-has gaming support

But of course, only thing that keeps people from buying Blu-ray because:

-high cost
-region coding
-excessive copy protection
-players that aren't future-proof

Technically, Blu-ray is superior. If you're able to afford it, that is. Or wait until price drops. Region coding is old news... DVD has them. Soon all players will be profile 2.0 ready, and I'll bet that company will offer sort of rebate for early adopters. I'm not sure about excessive copy protection but it doesn't bother me much. Much larger storage capacity discs (100GB+) are on way in near future.

I used to flavor HD DVD because Blu-ray wasn't ready until I got PS3 and Blu-ray has improved by then. Also I hate combo discs.
so you favor blu-ray because you bought a player and dont want to shell out more cash for an hd-dvd player....
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 03:32 AM   #14
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
so you favor blu-ray because you bought a player and dont want to shell out more cash for an hd-dvd player....
Naw, I wanted to get PS3 because I was interested in few games and my PS2 was dying.

I couldn't afford to buy other player, so I didn't go crazy on Blu-ray movies until recently with news on format war.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 08:07 AM   #15
XDanger
Whaaat?

pS3 isnt the best deal if you have a pc capable of playing HD.

BD-HD-DVD combi drives are cheap, single format drives are cheaper still

pS3 over here is a choice between the gimped version or the overpriced version.
Old 02-16-08, 09:10 AM   #16
Revs

Would I be correct in thinking you could burn a BluRay film on a HD-DVD disc and play it on a PC?

If so I see a reason for both formats. While the film companys are favoring BluRay, HD-DVD's are better (or cheaper) for burning disc on PC's. At least ATM.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 12:33 PM   #17
Lyme

Quote:
Do you do this to everyone? Are you an instructor from school? Either way you have no right to have the power over me and tell me that I need to work on my English. I'm fully aware that my grammar needs work (look at my sig) and I continue to improve.
You are correct in that I have no power over you, however that is a double edged sword. Given that fact, the reverse is also true, you have no power over me. Which, by inference gives me every right to state and defend my opinion that your English needs work. In my opinion you are taking the comment far too personally, it isn't as though you are being graded on this, simply accept it and strive to do better.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 12:35 PM   #18
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

So why do people adopt a more expensive format even during bad times in our countryies econemy?

Don't we want cheap in formats like VHS vs Beta was?

I guess people don't mind spending 350 bucks over 100 bucks for hd contentha. Idiots.

Blu Ray is for those people who have alot of money to spend and HD DVD is for those who want affortable and they should offer content on both.

This is a whole rich and poor issue not the formats themselves its what people can afford. HD DVD would sell more cuz its cheap.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 02-16-08, 12:54 PM   #19
Lyme

Quote:

I still stand by my opinion that Blu-ray is better.

-has more studio support (more movies)
-improved with codec/audio and now matches to hd dvd if not better
-has gaming support

But of course, only thing that keeps people from buying Blu-ray because:

-high cost
-region coding
-excessive copy protection
-players that aren't future-proof

Technically, Blu-ray is superior. If you're able to afford it, that is. Or wait until price drops. Region coding is old news... DVD has them. Soon all players will be profile 2.0 ready, and I'll bet that company will offer sort of rebate for early adopters. I'm not sure about excessive copy protection but it doesn't bother me much. Much larger storage capacity discs (100GB+) are on way in near future.
Excessive, possibly not, there is no doubt that there is more DRM included in the spec. The DRM BD+ as far as I know, is not in use as of yet. When the studio's decide to start using it, I expect quite a large number of very unhappy customers. The issue revolves around the technical issue that in order for BD+ to work with your setup, you must have end-to-end secure channel for video, otherwise it will downgrade the signal. In addition to that, BD+ is implemented as a mini java application that runs on the player, and decodes the data on the fly. I expect that if your home entertainment setup is not using hdmi, you will have issues.

As for the changing of what is latest and greatest Blu-Ray Spec. Many of the early players (ps3 excluded) do not include the hardware so that they can be software upgraded to the new spec. So much so, that there is another thread in this forum around the issue of one early adopter suing Samsung for producing players that are not compliant with the current spec. I expect that Samsung will loose the case for marketing their Blu-Ray players in bad faith. Simply consider that Blu-Ray has gone through 1.0, 1.1, and now to catch up to where hd-dvd is the 2.0 spec, while hd-dvd is still at 1.0 and it is feature complete. However I am not a lawyer, and those decisions are best argued by them.

The point is, that even while Blu-Ray has won, there are many curious things to exactly why they won given the oddities of the situation. As well, if you are a consumer, you really need to be extremely careful in what you buy tv/blu-ray dvd player, because while it may work right now, it may not work with all blu-ray movies in the near future.
Old 02-16-08, 01:00 PM   #20
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
A few notes,

NaitoSan needs to work on his english.
Blu-Ray is only better because hd-dvd is dead.

Otherwise,

The ps3 is a mixed bag compared to stand alone players when blu-ray movies are concerned. The ps3 does not support all the output formats listed in 3.0 spec, but could potentially do so if Sony wanted. As well the picture quality from the ps3 has been reported to be of lesser quality of a number of the better stand alone units. The PS3 as it is a software player, can be upgraded for as long as Sony wants to.

Using component cables is fine, until Blu-ray movies start using the BD+ DRM. At which point the video will be artificially downgraded to regular sdtv quality. To resolve that problem you need to use HDMI.

As for the resolution and your tv, most good blu-ray players will take a 1080p signal, and convert it into 1080i, giving you a virtually identical picture.
Your going to rip him for bad English? You may want to examine your own writing. Should you do so, you will discover poor use of punctuation and run on sentences...

We are on a forum. To be honest, his English is better than some of the native English speakers here.

On a Blu-Ray note, I am just happy one camp has won. I have a PS3, but was about to pull the trigger on an HD-DVD Player. I had just started to research them when the crap hit the fan. I'm going to use my PS3 for Blu-Ray until lower priced (and decent) stand alone players are available...

@ nVJoe - You will love Blu-Ray on your 1080i TV. You will immediately be able to tell a big difference between DVD (Upconverted) and Blu-Ray IMO...

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-08, 01:13 PM   #21
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Your going to rip him for bad English? You may want to examine your own writing. Should you do so, you will discover poor use of punctuation and run on sentences...

We are on a forum. To be honest, his English is better than some of the native English speakers here.
I completely understand what you mean. We should be happy with the lowest common denominator.
Old 02-16-08, 02:24 PM   #22
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
So why do people adopt a more expensive format even during bad times in our countryies econemy?

Don't we want cheap in formats like VHS vs Beta was?

I guess people don't mind spending 350 bucks over 100 bucks for hd contentha. Idiots.

Blu Ray is for those people who have alot of money to spend and HD DVD is for those who want affortable and they should offer content on both.

This is a whole rich and poor issue not the formats themselves its what people can afford. HD DVD would sell more cuz its cheap.
It's all about advertisement. HD DVD lost because of not enough advertisement (I keep seeing Blu-ray ads everywhere and part of PS3 ads). Blu-ray had a bit of advantages because PS3 has Blu-ray built in.

Earlier in format war, HD DVD hardware has sold more than Blu-ray hardware. That's not same for movies where Blu-ray has sold more.

It's not always about how much money people have. Do you realize HD DVD is uber cheap because Toshiba is losing the war? If Toshiba was winning the war, the price will stay unchanged. I'm sure Toshiba was losing money from low price of HD DVD players. I think Toshiba was only one making HD DVD players, not other company like Pioneer, Samsung, etc. (I could be wrong) The price of Blu-ray player has dropped a bit and soon, we'll see cheaper Blu-ray players in the future.

That happens with DVD player where it was $599 or higher for high-end players. Now they can be found for under $100.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 06:35 PM   #23
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
I completely understand what you mean. We should be happy with the lowest common denominator.
Yet you still didn't address your own misuse of punctuation, etc.

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 08:22 PM   #24
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

@op, yes blu-ray will still look great on a 1080i tv, depending on you ht setup will determine whether to go with a standalone or the ps3 (still sad that at $400, you don't get complete support but it is still the best price/performance)

for those spouting bd "facts" they found on the bd pamphlets at their local best buy, let's not kid ourselves about a few topics:

1) this is not comparable to vhs/beta aside from competing for the format, this round was not settled by the consumers, this round was settled by board room pricks who are willing to pay whatever it takes so that it's not another beta/umd/dvhs/etc device.

2) the ps3 will only be 2.0 compliant if they choose to not include dts-hd/ma in the spec. but that's another story, for the individuals with remotely decent ht setups, the ps3 is not for them.

3) bd and hddvd drm have already been cracked, so that is a moot point. region encoding is still around 50/50. and also that old "storage" arguement, moot. 50% are still using bd25 discs (price of the bd50 disks are not cheap), this number is finally starting to drop (use to be ~80% bd25) source

let's be honest here, the only reason this format is where it is is because of the money that exchanged hands. think of how poorly the ps3 sales would have been the past 2 months had it not been for bd getting major studio support. sony didn't want to have their console go down the ****ter, a 2.something attach rate isn't exactly a good thing.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote