Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-11-08, 09:26 PM   #1
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Best Buy to Recommend Blu-ray over HD DVD

Quote:
Best Buy to Recommend Blu-ray as the Customer's Digital Format Choice
Monday February 11, 3:31 pm ET

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY - News) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.

“Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We’ve listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format,” said Brian Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.”

Dunn continued, “Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.”

“With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices,” said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy’s senior vice president, Home Solutions. “Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers.”

Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.

About Best Buy Co., Inc.

Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE:BBY - News) operates a global portfolio of brands with a commitment to growth and innovation. Our employees strive to provide customers around the world with superior experiences by responding to their unique needs and aspirations. We sell consumer electronics, home-office products, entertainment software, appliances and related services through nearly 1,300 retail stores across the United States, throughout Canada and in China. Our multi-channel operations include: Best Buy (BestBuy.com, BestBuy.ca and BestBuy.com.cn), Future Shop (FutureShop.ca), Geek Squad (GeekSquad.com and GeekSquad.ca), Pacific Sales Kitchen and Bath Centers (PacificSales.com), Magnolia Audio Video (Magnoliaav.com), Jiangsu Five Star Appliance Co. (Five-Star.cn) and Speakeasy (Speakeasy.net). Best Buy supports the communities in which its employees work and live through volunteerism and grants that benefit children and education.
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...er_HD_DVD/1455

Other blow to HD DVD. Wow.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-08, 10:48 PM   #2
Redshirt #24

Default Re: Best Buy to Recommend Blu-ray over HD DVD

And I think to myself: they weren't before?

This format war is/was about marketing. And as much as I wanted and still want HD DVD to pull off something great, they've royally screwed the pooch WRT marketing. It's like a bad Amiga flashback.
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Apple 30" Cinema Display
CM HAF X

Ever notice how the more people talk about something, the more you tend to hate it?
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-08, 12:53 AM   #3
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

Old 02-12-08, 03:40 AM   #4
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

LOL yeah that was from the forum at high def digest. Thought that was pretty funny.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Old 02-12-08, 10:30 AM   #5
Lyme

Best Buy might be the next company to get sued for misleading the public on the viability of hd-dvd's.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-08, 09:43 PM   #6
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Yikes, this isn't good for HD-DVD.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:36 AM   #7
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
“Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We’ve listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format,” said Brian Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.”
i think what they mean to say is, "sony has paid us and everyone else a ridiculous amount of money to start pushing their (currently) inferior product that hasnt even been finalized yet. lucky for us, consumers are stupid and dont know any better, therefore it will not hurt our busines. so we will comply."
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-08, 09:45 AM   #8
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
i think what they mean to say is, "sony has paid us and everyone else a ridiculous amount of money to start pushing their (currently) inferior product that hasnt even been finalized yet. lucky for us, consumers are stupid and dont know any better, therefore it will not hurt our busines. so we will comply."
Actually by customers I assume they mean $$$... which with Blu-Ray outselling HD-DVD 2 to 1... who is to say they are wrong?
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-08, 09:52 AM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Actually by customers I assume they mean $$$... which with Blu-Ray outselling HD-DVD 2 to 1... who is to say they are wrong?
well.... Best Buy does.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/24/news...tion/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Best Buy: Consumers baffled by HDTV

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- As Best Buy gears up for its important high-definition TV sales months, a new survey from the No. 1 electronics retailer reveals that almost 90 percent of Americans still don't understand HDTVs - and close to 50 percent underestimate the cost of buying one.

This is especially troubling for Best Buy (Charts, Fortune 500) as the retailer is banking on flat-panel HDTV purchases to fuel a big chunk of its fourth-quarter profit and sales.

The November-December period typically accounts for more than half of retailers' profits and sales. For Best Buy, the year-end holiday shopping period is estimated to account for nearly 70 percent of its annual profit.

What's more, the retailer also needs to reduce the high number of returns for flat-panel TVs that it was plagued with last year because of lack of awareness among its shoppers.

"We were getting a lot of anecdotal evidence that showed consumers were frustrated with their HDTV purchases," Mike Mohan, vice president of home theater merchandising at Best Buy, told CNNMoney.com Monday. "We felt that we had some gaps in key area of consumer education. That's why we decided to commission this study and really understand where the issues were."

The survey, which polled 1,012 consumers nationwide from Aug. 3 to Aug. 5, found that 89 percent of people said they lacked a complete understanding of HDTV technology.
most consumers dont even understand what high def is. they just say "hey look, it's blu-ray! remember those commercials? i dont know **** about it, but let's buy it, cause were uninformed consumers!". hell, i bet some of the retards even bought a BD player for their SDTV's.

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 12:13 AM   #10
A101Sugar

Send a message via AIM to A101Sugar

I like how Best Buy has just now officially stated this. I work at BB and it has been obvious since day one. Personally I have supported HD DVD and I will continue to Biggest problem with HD DVD is lack of marketing, which in effect has let dumb consumers misled believing Blu Ray is better just cause of the advertising. Not to mention hearing it from bumb BB employees. (I have worked there since I was 16 and now I am 17, so not a bad job for my age, but once I turn 18 I will move on to big and better things.) The majority of the employees are idiots especially when you consider the new Personal Shopping Assistant and Customer Assistant labor model, which results in even more under trained and stupid people. So when you have a confused customer and all they hear is Blu Ray from employees the result is another Blu Ray player sold ) Another funny thing is the amount of Blu Ray players returned. in my store we always have at least 10 because of the lack of knowledge on how to upgrade firmware, not to mention all of the problems and flaws with the format.
A101Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 12:30 AM   #11
ntsck
*BANNED*

I wouldn't buy a BD or HD DVD from BB. MSRP FTL. Buy your HDM from Amazon.
ntsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 01:55 AM   #12
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Me neither, very rarely I buy movies from BestBuy unless they have it on sale, otherwise I get them from Amazon.com.