Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-08, 09:23 AM   #49
|MaguS|

Default Re: just bought a 360... but still not 100% sure

The Uncharted is from a cam shot of the TV so its not direct feed like the Gears of War one...
Old 02-21-08, 05:00 PM   #50
nrdstrm

Failboy_12345

by Magus

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 07:08 PM   #51
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Really? Show me a reputable source that states that because I was under the impression that most 3rd party developers have officially come out and stated that it's the other way around.

BTW Don't bring up that the GPU in the PS3 is a 7 Series because its only based off it, Considering that the PS3 can handle HDR and AA together that alone shows its more then just a 7 Series GPU.

Hell, Im still waiting on a game for the X360 that looks better then Uncharted or Heavenly Sword... both first year PS3 titles, shall we compare them to other first year X360 titles?
I didn't think HS looked that great at all. Uncharted however looks awesome and was a blast to play.

I played Dirt on both and even flipped back and forth between (asked my wife what she thought too) and we thought the 360 looked better on that one. I have Folklore and while it's a really cool game I don't find it to be impressive at all graphically but it does have some fantastic art direction. DMC I also feel looks sharper on the 360. Burnout..the car seems a little "chromier" on PS3 (that's about what the reviews state as well) and that's about all I see. I'd get the PS3 version for that reason alone though..the car is the whole point.

As to the PS3 GPU, it IS a GF7 series with a "little" tweaking. nVidia had to rush it out the door to Sony last minute so there wasn't any major overhauls going on there. Most folks in the know even state that it's clocked 50Mhz slower than originally specced too. The Cell assists with the graphics so I see no reason why it couldn't do both of those effects simultaniously.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 07:18 PM   #52
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrdstrm
Failboy_12345

by Magus
While Badboy comes off a bit strong I don't see any owning there in Mags post.

BB did bring links and tech spec info to back his argument where Magus just refused to acknowledge said links and tossed up 2 screen shots and gave his personal opinion about games he felt looked better.

Personally I think the 2 consoles have turned out quite evenly matched.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Old 02-21-08, 08:15 PM   #53
|MaguS|

His links proved nothing because they were from a BS Source. When Carmack and Sweeny both state that the PS3 is more powerful then the X360 is when you have some solid evidence.

The shots I posted were to prove that his article was BS since it claimed that the PS3 could not accomplish GoW graphics which it clearly can achieve and go beyond.

Carmack on System Strength
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=1974&Itemid=2
Quote:
"They are both powerful systems that are going to make excellent game platforms, but I have a bit of a preference for the 360’s symmetric CPU architecture and excellent development tools," he said. "The PS3 will have a bit more peak power, but it will be easier to exploit the available power on the 360.
Yet then you have Gabe from Valve hating on the PS3 (never saying that its weaker). So by what industry professionals are saying is that Sony has teh hardware but lack the development tools (which we all know MS is always going to be better at).

Xav, While those are your opinions its well stated by all the media and reviewers that the games I mentioned that run better/look better on the PS3 do infact run better and look better.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/818/818371p2.html
Quote:
With regards to the PlayStation 3 version of the game, Codemasters has taken the extra time since the Xbox 360 release to tighten up the graphics code a bit, resulting in an overall smoother driving experience.
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/...summary;review
Quote:
One of the big complaints about DiRT on the 360 and PC was that it simply didn't perform very well. The PC version looked choppy on a near-constant basis, and the 360 version had a tendency to tank pretty badly during multicar races. On the other hand, the PlayStation 3 version is nearly flawless in this regard.
http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-in...e_Least_Tears/
Quote:
There is a slight difficulty in gaining shots from the PS3 because of the different motion effects that it uses which causes a slight blur on the stills, so any details lost on in-game stills can be chalked up to that.

be aware that some of the PS3 version is blurry in a few pics due to the difficulty of capturing at 60 frames per second on the PS3.

Burnout Head2Head
Quote:
Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.
Old 02-21-08, 08:19 PM   #54
|MaguS|

Theres a clear difference when I make an arguement that a game looks better on a console then another, I have sources to back up the claim rather then saying "I flipped between both consoles on my TV!" I get sources to back up my claims then rather go about and sounding like a delierious fanboy.

Yes I am a fanboy, I will never deny that but I am not a blind follower. I will always admit short comings and flaws in the camp I support. I will not hold my claims higher then what the general media and public agree upon.
Old 02-21-08, 08:25 PM   #55
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
That is only true on most crossplatform titles. When it comes down to showing the systems capabilities, Uncharted and Rachet look better then anything on the X360...
Subjective. They only look better if you like the art styles chosen.

In some ways, both games you've mentioned look like pure ass. Another subjective statement, which happens to be my opinion.
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-08, 08:28 PM   #56
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
His links proved nothing because they were from a BS Source. When Carmack and Sweeny both state that the PS3 is more powerful then the X360 is when you have some solid evidence.

The shots I posted were to prove that his article was BS since it claimed that the PS3 could not accomplish GoW graphics which it clearly can achieve and go beyond.

Carmack on System Strength
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=1974&Itemid=2

Yet then you have Gabe from Valve hating on the PS3 (never saying that its weaker). So by what industry professionals are saying is that Sony has teh hardware but lack the development tools (which we all know MS is always going to be better at).

Xav, While those are your opinions its well stated by all the media and reviewers that the games I mentioned that run better/look better on the PS3 do infact run better and look better.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/818/818371p2.html

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/...summary;review

http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-in...e_Least_Tears/

Burnout Head2Head

OK. I have to point out that while you call his links from BS source (rage3d forum) it's a collection on links from other sites that someone carried over to Rage. It's a bit different than some random poster spewing drivel.

I agree Carmack did say "a bit" more peak power...however that doesn't sound like much and it may not be all that noticable. Again I say they are so close it doesn't amount to anything substantial for either console.

The Dirt review speaks of motion blur and framerate and that's cool I will agree there...but we were talking visuals and after sitting and looking at the game on both boxes I felt the 360 looked a tad better (as did the wife). I didn't say it ran better however. I really didn't notice much difference to the point that I didn't "notice" it.

(To that point I can certainly feel/notice Lost Oddysey's framerate jitters if that helps...I'm not oblivious to framerate issue.

As far as Burnout that goes pretty much with what I said and I'll agree....it's mostly detail/shine/lighting whatever on the car itself. 360 has a bit more pop in and the occasional up close texture layer add. I most notice the car chrome is nicer looking on PS3. I also said I prefer the PS3 version. It wasn't an overall profound difference however...yet there IS a difference.

I'm not going to sit there and rave about differences that are minute. I have no issue acknowledging them however and I do when I see it.

Outside of that you and I just see some games differently!

Old 02-21-08, 08:30 PM   #57
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Rain
Subjective. They only look better if you like the art styles chosen.

In some ways, both games you've mentioned look like pure ass. Another subjective statement, which happens to be my opinion.
When it comes down to a technical standpoint (which is what was brought up, aka the Texture Resolution capablities of the PS3) they both are better then what has been shown on the X360. Neither show and sign of slow down while they display tons of high resolution textures and models, with great AA and larges levels with little to no load time.
Old 02-21-08, 08:30 PM   #58
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

[quote=|MaguS|]Theres a clear difference when I make an arguement that a game looks better on a console then another, I have sources to back up the claim rather then saying "I flipped between both consoles on my TV!" I get sources to back up my claims then rather go about and sounding like a delierious fanboy.

Yes I am a fanboy, I will never deny that but I am not a blind follower. I will always admit short comings and flaws in the camp I support. I will hold my claims higher then what the general media and public agree upon.[/QUOTE]

Don't we all!

However you didn't back up those claims initially...you just gave your opinion as a rebuttal against BB's links. That was my original point.

Old 02-21-08, 08:31 PM   #59
|MaguS|

Ment to say will not. =\

Yay me!
Old 02-21-08, 08:40 PM   #60
Acid Rain
What a sweet little...

Quote:
When it comes down to a technical standpoint (which is what was brought up, aka the Texture Resolution capablities of the PS3) they both are better then what has been shown on the X360. Neither show and sign of slow down while they display tons of high resolution textures and models, with great AA and larges levels with little to no load time.
I do agree they are both very nice games, and for the most part impressive, considering the amount of ram we're talking about here. I still don't agree that they outshine any of the 360's top games, but I do appreciate them for what they are to me.

Actually, since I'm addicted to almost anything asian *shameless plug mode= (you can thank my tasty khmer wife for that)* I should be a Sony fanboy, period, but whatever.
Acid Rain is offline   Reply With Quote