Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-08, 12:12 PM   #13
Medion

Default Re: It's official. HD DVD is dead.

I was also hoping that HD-DVD would win, being the superior format. However, more than that, I wanted one format, so I waited for a winner. Now, I feel comfortable getting a BR player in the future.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 12:28 PM   #14
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Well, now that Universal have said they will soon release their titles in Blu-Ray they may actually be able to show the current bunch of morons how to create a decent release for others to follow suit.

Most of the BD25 rubbish that's been released so far needs to be removed , re-encoded and re-issued to be considered a preference to SD DVD.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 01:54 PM   #15
emacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Most of the BD25 rubbish that's been released so far needs to be removed , re-encoded and re-issued to be considered a preference to SD DVD.
... or simply don't purchase those discs. it's so easy and involves far less effort.
emacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 02:13 PM   #16
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs
... or simply don't purchase those discs. it's so easy and involves far less effort.
Defeats the purpose of wanting to collect a new HD format though doesn't it.

You would surely want your fave all time movies in the best reproduction possible.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 02:26 PM   #17
emacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Defeats the purpose of wanting to collect a new HD format though doesn't it. You would surely want your fave all time movies in the best reproduction possible.
most likely those films will be made available. no point of worrying about it now.
Old 02-19-08, 02:45 PM   #18
Riptide

Why do people keep saying HDDVD was the superior format?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 03:08 PM   #19
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Why do people keep saying HDDVD was the superior format?
1) been finalized on release
2) blu-ray still has not catched up to hd-dvd, while bd 1.1 is a step closer, bd 2.0 = hd-dvd 1.0
3) movies released on both formats usually showed that hd-dvd had better picture quality, because of stricker codec requirements.
4)less DRM
5)no region locking
Old 02-19-08, 03:23 PM   #20
AngelGraves13

Do you guys remember the first DVDs? Damn...they had hideous quality. It looked like Laser Disc. I still have Highlander which was released in 1997 and the remaster that was released recently. What a difference a few years and 24 bit makes. Blu-ray is still new, so like the first DVDs it won't look too impressive. Once we move on to 32 bit remastering and deep color (1 billion colors) then we will see a huge difference in quality. It probably won't be until after 2010 though since technology moves so slowly.

I kinda wish we had 4K already. That's what all the movie companies remaster their films in when they do digital intermediates (color correcting among other things). That'll probably be the next step after Hi-Def unless we skip straight to the Japanese 7000 lines of resolution format in 20 years, but that might be impossible for film based movies since the maximum resolution of 35 mm film is about 4000 lines of resolution, hence the 4K standard that the studios use to mint their masters.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-08, 03:46 PM   #21
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
1) been finalized on release
2) blu-ray still has not catched up to hd-dvd, while bd 1.1 is a step closer, bd 2.0 = hd-dvd 1.0
3) movies released on both formats usually showed that hd-dvd had better picture quality, because of stricker codec requirements.
4)less DRM
5)no region locking
1.) early adopting first generation or new technology is always risky and always has been.
2.) same as above. but I want to mention something, there's not a lot of movies that uses PiP or internet feature on HD DVD. blu-ray will still run movies if it's 1.1 or 2.0 ready but only that you can't access them on 1.0 player.
3.) it's not the case now. if you look at some hd dvd releases, some are very poor, i.e. american gangster. it's picture quality is rather poor and sound isn't great. also it doesn't contain extended edition (where dvd has it).
4.) true but i don't think it'll affect most of us. some people make it something big than it actually is. also i don't think drm is used on movies yet... ?
5.) dvd has region locking, what's new? At least it's not as strict as DVD's region locking.

yeah, blu-ray is somewhere not finished and that's their disadvantage but hd dvd has it's disadvantage too. hd dvd would be superior if they pushed out 51gb discs, more ads, release xbox 360 hd dvd edition (hd dvd built in), gain more studio supports, and more movies to choose. If people give Blu-ray time, it'll get better and cheaper. Or get PS3 until there's better and cheaper players. Like someone mentioned, DVD used to be very expensive when it first hit the market. It took a while until DVD technology become more affordable.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 06:58 PM   #22
emacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13
Do you guys remember the first DVDs? Damn...they had hideous quality.
some people who want / expect absolutely stunning quality from something that's still in its infancy often forget history.
Old 02-19-08, 09:25 PM   #23
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Blu-ray region locking isn't bad. It puts Hong Kong, US and Japan in the same region which is great.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 09:47 PM   #24
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Blu-ray region locking isn't bad. It puts Hong Kong, US and Japan in the same region which is great.
AnyDVD HD is all you need...if you're gonna use your computer as a TV.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote