Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-08, 11:16 PM   #25
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: It's official. HD DVD is dead.

also i should add that regions are not mandatory for blu-ray. there's like 100+ of movies on blu-ray that are region-free.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 11:38 PM   #26
Nv40
Agent-Fx

HD-DVD was dead since Microsoft pulled it from the Xbox360 as something standar out of the box. There was no way Toshiba will ever kill one of their sons ,just because it was from another religion.. LOL... The PS3 believe in bluray get it ?

A side note..
There is something about HD movies that i dont like.. Sometimes some scenes in many movies looks sooo fake because they look so crisp and so sharp ,and shiny that you think the characters are all inside a proffesional photographic studio.. when in reality the scene is filmed in a jungle ,where smoke ,dust and no clear illumination in some places should exist.

Perhaps is a mistake in the way the movie was remastered to HD?
its looks like if someone take photoshop and enhance the image ,looks more magazine cover quality ,but very fake for a movie. lol..
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 01:27 AM   #27
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Well, it's because older movies with CG in it weren't made for HD at that time. Filmmakers weren't thinking of HD, only SD where they doesn't have to worry so much about errors being exposed to viewers. Also they didn't have budget or technology to do super realistic looking CG scenes at that time.

Now that HD is here, all filmmaker starts to think about it and few went ahead and re-do some special effects or whatnot, mainly for HD releases. Also they have kind of budget/technology to do all for realistic looking CG scenes which are more suitable for HD.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 03:00 AM   #28
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

I'm glad. This will put and end to the stupid flame wars between the two standards.
Old 02-20-08, 11:28 AM   #29
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Blu-ray region locking isn't bad. It puts Hong Kong, US and Japan in the same region which is great.
Yep, and totally craps on us over here in the UK.

Importing HD DVD from the US was fantastic, not having to wait SIX FOOKING MONTHS longer for releases.

That is / was my main gripe with Blu-Ray, not enough region free releases for me to import.

Quote:
A side note..
There is something about HD movies that i dont like.. Sometimes some scenes in many movies looks sooo fake because they look so crisp and so sharp ,and shiny that you think the characters are all inside a proffesional photographic studio.. when in reality the scene is filmed in a jungle ,where smoke ,dust and no clear illumination in some places should exist.
Obviously it's better to have a gritty, sh!tt!er and poorer picture quality then. LoL
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 02:04 PM   #30
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Yep, and totally craps on us over here in the UK.

Importing HD DVD from the US was fantastic, not having to wait SIX FOOKING MONTHS longer for releases.

That is / was my main gripe with Blu-Ray, not enough region free releases for me to import.

Obviously it's better to have a gritty, sh!tt!er and poorer picture quality then. LoL

Its not better either...
But at least you arent distracted as much... If you take a personal camera and take shots of a fight or accident anywhere (will look grainy and with poor quality lighting) ,still will be very interesting to watch .. its something real . The magic with movies its that they make you believe you are there too.. you jump from your chair and so on..you will be focused in the action in what is happening ,but With many HD movies ,if you are a good observer ,you will notice at times things so sharp ,lighting so artificial that doesnt look natural ,as if the actors aren't really in the place where the movie was filmed. It doesnt look right.. since looks as i said as the cover of a magazine. Artificially done.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 03:41 PM   #31
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
..yeah, blu-ray is somewhere not finished and that's their disadvantage but hd dvd has it's disadvantage too...
so basically you posted thats its ok for companies to continually get away with and encourage them to release unfinished products and force the early adopters to get screwed with bugs and then have to replace all their equipment to be able to use the final product that gets released 2 years after the fact?

I don't know about the rest of you but thats BS to me. We should be forcing companies to actually finish their products before they release then instead saying its ok to release an unfinished inferior product before its ready just because its new.

Blu-Ray should have died in a fire when it was released. All the companies involved should have stuck it out and worked together to release one finished format. However blu-ray did something HD DVD didn't, and that is advertise.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 03:46 PM   #32
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor1182
However blu-ray did something HD DVD didn't, and that is advertise.
Which then was followed by the comsumers accepting an unfinished product and declaring them the victor by buying the format over the completed competing one.

Don't blame the Blu-Ray Disc Association, they released an incomplete format to make sure that HD-DVD didn't have too far of a head start... you (as in consumers) are the ones who accepting their decision by buying it.

In the end its the consumers fault that Blu-Ray won... don't blame anyone else.

Old 02-20-08, 03:49 PM   #33
thor1182
Spelling Expert?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Which then was followed by the comsumers accepting an unfinished product and declaring them the victor by buying the format over the completed competing one.

Don't blame the Blu-Ray Disc Association, they released an incomplete format to make sure that HD-DVD didn't have too far of a head start... you (as in consumers) are the ones who accepting their decision by buying it.

I can blame the morons in HD-DVD marketing for letting their format flop. Of course you can listen to Michael Bay and say that it was MS's intention to let both formats flop.
-"Aqua 2": Water Cooled Intel i7 960, 12 GB DDR3 PC 12800, 3x Intel X-25-M 80 GB SSD RAID 0, SATA 1.5TB WD, EVGA GeForce GTX 470 Supper Clocked Water Cooled, ASUS P6X58D, Corsair 800D w/ Koolance cooling
thor1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 04:46 PM   #34
hell_of_doom227

I don't care...
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 06:05 PM   #35
Lenin
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
its sad how you people are happy that the inferior still not finalized product won.
+1

I'll just continue to avoid the digital pestilence that is blu-ray
Lenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 06:44 PM   #36
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|

omg. you just make **** up to satisfy your own viewpoint. cmon back to reality. BDA didnt release it incomplete on purpose.

the only time products are released incomplete is when a competitor beats them to the punch or they have to meet a deadline.

no one releases incomplete products on purpose. what a ridiculous statement. furthermore, consumers choice? yea, that's cause average joe got BD rammed down his throat everywhere he went. best buy and other places have been pushing BD waaay before the article. it's all a bunch of bull**** and you know it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote