Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-19-08, 07:45 AM   #1
CapnKirk

Default MODIFICATION: PROJECT BLACKBIRD-003 DEFIANT EDITION™

I won't get into the details as to why I have to fix a 6 grand machine, but if anyone is thinking of buying one of these, do a google search on HP Blackbird support and quality control.
I'm sure some went out the right way, I got a mess, and tech support was of no use.
Returning it was not an option we could both agree on due to the lack of trusting anything they tell me.

The chip on the mobo is dead and cannot be replaced because Asus is now soldering them. This way you cannot fix your $300 mobo with a $30 replacement chip and are forced to buy a new board.
I see no other reason or advantage for this change.

Believe me when I say that I never thought I would have to touch what I was promised to be getting, a turn key Vista machine.

No problem, as I used to build custom gaming rigs that people loved.
But, due to health problems I stopped building.
That's why I bought a pre-built.

The past 5 weeks dealing with HP's Gaming Division has really been very stressful and that's why I won't go into more details.
I already typed way more than I was going to.

BTW, I just found the support review I read to show that I'm not the only one.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-...4&cval=2516234

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm hoping this thread will help people who own a Blackbird.
I love this machine, the is case the last one I'll ever need.
The Sata back plane is an awesome feature and the air flow design is the best I've seen.
Why it needs to support a 600 pound person sitting on it beyond me. LOL!

I have an Asus Striker II Formula coming today to replace the Striker Extreme that I really think is garbage and the 680i chipset was a dud.
I have no need for crossfire support and can now use bios versions from Asus.
The 780i chipset works much much better with quad cores and the PCI-E 2.0 feature is another great change.

The chipset's on the Striker II Formula where reviewed as running cool.
I'll see what luck I have.

I'll take pictures from start to finish and post as I go.

I'm not sure if the CPU cooler will clear the caps that are around the CPU, other than that the water cooling is going to make things difficult because I just can't pull the vid cards out and put them out of the way.
But I have an idea or two that will at least protect them from any damage.

I need to get back to cleaning my old work area and hope to get a good mobo that's not crushed from UPS.

Any tips, suggestions are more than welcomed.

Defiant Modification Solutions™
Defying Murphy's Law

"Show me, Don't tell me!"

Last edited by CapnKirk; 02-29-08 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Title
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 10:27 PM   #2
CapnKirk

Got my Striker II Formula today and I like the new layout for the IDE plug location and the cmos reset button in back is great.

Heat issues, Before I install it or any mobo, I go over it and make sure all the push pins are seated on the heatsinks and I see screws for the NB, make sure they are snug.
Do not use the fans provided for the heatpipe fins if you are using a cpu cooler with a fan.
Only use the asus fans if you have the cpu water cooled, otherwise it screws up the way heat is managed for the entire heatpipe.

This will cause the NB and SB to run hot.

So check the above and remove those fans if not water cooling your cpu.

Do not use q-fan in the bios, manually set all fans to 100%.

That's all I can say without installing it.
Oh, do not flash your bios from within windows, no time for details, but that is just insane and always causes a glitch even though it says flashed OK.
Even using ez flash and flashing from inside the bios is wrong because it may have a bad block or glitch somewhere.

Best and proper way is, boot to dos prompt using a boot disk or usb flashdrive.
And use the awdflash utility.
Some flash utilities offer command line options like /f which will force a complete erase and reflash the entire bios.

There are sectors of the bios that are like boot blocks that never get erased and a fresh flash unless you use the /f command and there are also 15 or more command options if the flash utility is fully functional.
DFI uses that type, last Asus version didn't have them.
Just type awdflash/? and hit enter.
You will see either a simple version or the full command type.

I will check out the new asus flash update that they use in windows and see if they have added an options menu.
Providing I get that far, if the cpu cooler fits over the caps, then the rest is stuff I can work with and fix some of the poor and sloppy wire managment.

If you are not having heat issues and the rig is running fine, do not fix what isn't broken.

These suggestions are just that. They always work for me, but use them at your own risk and only if you are having issues mentioned.

Defying Murphy's Law

Old 02-19-08, 10:42 PM   #3
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Rebuild: Blackbird-002 Dedication Edition

You paid $6K for an HP machine?
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-08, 10:53 PM   #4
slivski

6k...
if i may ask, what exactly was in that machine that was worth 6k?
to buy a top of the line machine now wouldn't cost nearly as much (air cooled). owell

you should just pop in a fan controller in the front so the pc doesn't sound like a constant wind-tunnel. better than having them at 100% 24/7!!
slivski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 12:30 AM   #5
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippe
You paid $6K for an HP machine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slivski
6k...
if i may ask, what exactly was in that machine that was worth 6k?
to buy a top of the line machine now wouldn't cost nearly as much (air cooled). owell

you should just pop in a fan controller in the front so the pc doesn't sound like a constant wind-tunnel. better than having them at 100% 24/7!!
Sup guys,

Not exactly.
It's a new hybrid division of HP and VooDoo.
DT has one.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/member.php?u=44153

I have the Dedication Edition which they only made 518 of.
Still overpriced as was the dell which was $6200
It's not air cooled and is very quiet with the fans on full.

This thread and my advice is for the most part, a Blackbird.

Actually it was $5500 give or take, still overpriced, but it has some very innovative and unique features and the rig is 80 pounds.

The case is top quality, no plastic junk and the Striker Extreme was modded to run both SLi or Crossfire on the same board.

The SE and that mod was the big mistake, everything else is awesome.

VooDoo machines are 7 to 10 grand, Falcon Northwest are 5 grand and up.

Dell's POS XPS 720 water cooled, and just the cpu is water cooled is 5, 6 grand.

Blackbird
http://h20435.www2.hp.com/#/home/

Video showing the details.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjhEKx4gcZA

And I didn't pay them anything yet, and at this point I have no intentions of doing so.
My lawyer is taking care of them and their BS.

So the simple answer to your question would be a big fat NO!

Defying Murphy's Law

Old 02-20-08, 01:04 AM   #6
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Cap'n, the Dell POS, as you say, would have been replaced for you and the service would have been both dedicated (XPS dedicated line), prompt and complete.

Congratulations on your boutique system. However, given the issues your numbered system gave you and the fact that, apparently, you PAID to replace your motherboard on your 6 grand system gives you very little license to trash other boutique systems which would have dealt with the problem in less than 5 weeks and covered the cost of the motherboard.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 01:11 AM   #7
Digital_Trans

My hp blackbird 002 is running perfect. I've not had any problems other then Windows Vists x64 which was software related not hardware. It's been the best system I've ever owned. I'm completely water cooled on the CPU and video cards. As for the bios, updates can only be done threw HP. If you use a 3rd party bios from Asus it will toast the board or sure as hp warns. I overclock my memory and cpu and it's been great since day one! I payed a hell of alot less then you did because I work a part-time job seasonal for hp last year which allowed me to get a huge deep discount. I could of built my own sweet setup but since the discount was there it made since to just go with that plan since it costed less to buy it then for me to build it. These days it's better to have the advantage on buying anything. These large companies don't give a rats ass about anyone just as long as they can milk you for everything! That CNet review is really bad and HP needs to get their act together if they plan on selling computers that cost as much as a good used car. Hp can't just go off their name and then provide **** faced service to customers in their gaming devision. You should post that review link in the voodoo PC forum lmao!!!! I know Dell would of been better for the customer support and warranty issues. However their XPS doesn't touch the hp blackbird 002. Cnet gave higher reviews on it then Dell's XPS. The hardware speaks for it's self but the level of service hp is providing doesn't sound good for new comers seeking their services. Good luck! and hope you get it all fixed.....
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad 3.8GHz LCi
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
GPU: 3 X EVGA GTX 280 FTW Edition TRI-SLI
HDD: 3 X 150GB WD Raptor-X
HDD: 1 - 500GB Seagate Barracuda
HDD: 1 - 640GB WD Caviar SE
DVD: 2 X Ultra Slim 20X IDE DVD/CD Writer
SPU: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCI-Express
LG Super Multi Blu-ray RW/HDDVD: GGW-H20L
Display: Dell UltraSharp 30" LCD
Gateway XHD3000 Black 30" LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate Edition x64 SP1
Digital_Trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-08, 01:36 AM   #8
Digital_Trans

Let me know how you're video card configuration works out. I also have two 8800 Ultra in SLI both water cooled. My only future concern is that the waterblocks on the 8800 Ultra won't fix onto future NVIDIA cards. I know it won't fit the NVIDIA 9800 GX2 but it very well could fit the next card after that one. I hope we can still use the waterblocks and tubing on future NVIDIA cards besides the 8800 Ultra. That's going to take some work moving around those cards and cpu black which are all connected into the watercooling loop. I would suggest use a towel and lay the cards on it and place the case on it's side on a well protected surface. If you can buy some foam then that would work great. As for me, I'll wait for the 790i motherboards to come out along with a better 9-series SLI configuration besides the 9800 GX2 solution. I have to be very selective and do alot of research before I buy the newer cards because I want to make sure I can still use the same waterclocks not only for the cpu but also for the SLI configuration.

Old 02-20-08, 01:42 AM   #9
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
Cap'n, the Dell POS, as you say, would have been replaced for you and the service would have been both dedicated (XPS dedicated line), prompt and complete.

Congratulations on your boutique system. However, given the issues your numbered system gave you and the fact that, apparently, you PAID to replace your motherboard on your 6 grand system gives you very little license to trash other boutique systems which would have dealt with the problem in less than 5 weeks and covered the cost of the motherboard.
The Dell was my first pre-built.
http://home.comcast.net/~toeoshea/DSCF3131.JPG

I will continue, but want you to see I have more "license" than you know to trash what was not one, or two, but 3 POS.

Yep, mobo was sent.
http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3437.JPG

5 weeks?
I have all the chat logs, pics of parts, invoices, everything.
I realize had you known I went through Dell hell, you would have not taken my post the wrong way.
As far as this Blackbird, I made it clear that it will cost me the price of the new and non-proprietary motherboard which makes me very happy.
I cannot possibly explain the Dell issue from start to finish at this time.
The HP issue is another one that I just want to forget for now, but mostly, I want to fix it, or at least try my best and not post here when I feel like working on the Bird.

When I need a break from working on it, I'll post the Dell pics that prove I'm not the bad guy.
http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3711.JPG

Forgot I posted some details in another thread.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...13&postcount=7

Defying Murphy's Law

Old 02-20-08, 02:36 AM   #10
CapnKirk

Digital_Trans,
Did you get the Dedication edition and there were 2 versions of the SE.
1.00G and 1.03G.

And don't you post on the VooDoo forums under a similar name?
I posted there and Ryan is either really dumb or just being a jerk.
Go there under the BBird section, CapnKirk_SFC is me and you will see the frustration I went through.

Thanks for wishing me luck and I'm happy that your Bird is what they are supposed to be.

And we think alike, my idea was to put the cards in static bags, then lots of bubble wrap around them, the cpu block will be protected as well.

Don't forget I said I'm taking pics.
Once again, thanks and I'm sure we can help each other out.

Ok, hope I cleared some things up.
I'm going to start on taking pics of all the connections before anything, so I'll be updating daily.

Defying Murphy's Law

Old 02-20-08, 02:47 AM   #11
Digital_Trans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKirk
Digital_Trans,
Did you get the Dedication edition and there were 2 versions of the SE.
1.00G and 1.03G.

And don't you post on the VooDoo forums under a similar name?
I posted there and Ryan is either really dumb or just being a jerk.
Go there under the BBird section, CapnKirk_SFC is me and you will see the frustration I went through.

Thanks for wishing me luck and I'm happy that your Bird is what they are supposed to be.

And we think alike, my idea was to put the cards in static bags, then lots of bubble wrap around them, the cpu block will be protected as well.

Don't forget I said I'm taking pics.
Once again, thanks and I'm sure we can help each other out.

Ok, hope I cleared some things up.
I'm going to start on taking pics of all the connections before anything, so I'll be updating daily.
No, I have the 1.00G version I've never seen version 1.03G anywhere as I've used the Asus Striker Extreme 680i before in the past 3 to 4 times and the version number never changed even when I purchased the boards retail directly from Newegg.com Yes, on the Voodoo PC forum board I go by the name COCO...just kidding it's Digital_Fuzion the hp blackbird has been great to me. Infact, I found that the bios on the Asus that hp took over to be more stable then what Asus could of ever done with the 680i chipset series. Anyway, I sure want to see some cool pics of how you're planning to work it all out. Bubble wrap is a great idea along with towels to lay them all on. Foam is also good for the weight factor when going to lay the 80 pound bird on it's side. It will be hard project indeed one which will want to make you have 4 hands. Okay, can't wait to see the progress in the making..........knowledge is power!
Old 02-20-08, 02:54 AM   #12
CapnKirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Trans
No, I have the 1.00G version I've never seen version 1.03G anywhere as I've used the Asus Striker Extreme 680i before in the past 3 to 4 times and the version number never changed even when I purchased the boards retail directly from Newegg.com Yes, on the Voodoo PC forum board I go by the name COCO...just kidding it's Digital_Fuzion the hp blackbird has been great to me. Infact, I found that the bios on the Asus that hp took over to be more stable then what Asus could of ever done with the 680i chipset series. Anyway, I sure want to see some cool pics of how you're planning to work it all out. Bubble wrap is a great idea along with towels to lay them all on. Foam is also good for the weight factor when going to lay the bird on it's side. It will be hard project indeed one which will want to make you have 4 hands altogether working.
You got what Chris assured me I would get, a perfect system.

So, did you read my posts there then? On the DooDoo forum?

BTW, Have you seen this?
http://forums.techarp.com/overclocki...r-extreme.html

Defying Murphy's Law