Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-15-08, 04:24 PM   #1
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

I know nothing about Blue Ray or HD other than HD-DVD is supposed to be better but it is losing the bidding war.

Any way I have a 1080i TV, would my TV take advantage of a Blue Ray player?
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 04:32 PM   #2
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

yes both can.

btw, it's Blu-ray. and it's better than hd dvd for few reason. blu-ray has finally caught up and has more studios but only thing is that it's expensive. price will drop soon if you wait or get ps3 which is best deal in the market and upgradable to profile 2.0. but really, even if you have profile 1.0, you can STILL watch blu-ray movies that has 1.1 or 2.0 features, only that you can't access them.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 04:36 PM   #3
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
yes both can.

btw, it's Blu-ray. and it's better than hd dvd for few reason. blu-ray has finally caught up and has more studios but only thing is that it's expensive. price will drop soon if you wait or get ps3 which is best deal in the market and upgradable to profile 2.0. but really, even if you have profile 1.0, you can STILL watch blu-ray movies that has 1.1 or 2.0 features, only that you can't access them.
Name correction noted.


Thanks for the info. I know that the average person cannot tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p, at least I can't. I just wanted to make sure that my TV will take advantage of the HD.

I really don't care which is better. I have been waiting on a purchase for a time when the market has decided which format it will be going with. Now it looks like it will be blu-ray.

You are saying that the PS3 is upgradeable to the 2.0 profile right?

I will be using component cables BTW.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 04:50 PM   #4
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

it'll work fine with component cables. and yes, ps3 is upgradable to profile 2.0. right now it's 1.1 so upcoming firmware, it'll update ps3 to 2.0 when movies that needs it is released.

easy to notice the difference between 1080p (progressive) and 1080i (interlaced) is to bring up a fast moving scene i.e. car run by, you should see wave-alike lines at the end of moving car in interlaced mode. you won't see that in progressive mode. i'm sure you know that already.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 05:16 PM   #5
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
it'll work fine with component cables. and yes, ps3 is upgradable to profile 2.0. right now it's 1.1 so upcoming firmware, it'll update ps3 to 2.0 when movies that needs it is released.

easy to notice the difference between 1080p (progressive) and 1080i (interlaced) is to bring up a fast moving scene i.e. car run by, you should see wave-alike lines at the end of moving car in interlaced mode. you won't see that in progressive mode. i'm sure you know that already.
I see what you mean.

Thanks for all the info.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 06:40 PM   #6
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Thanks for the info. I know that the average person cannot tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p, at least I can't. I just wanted to make sure that my TV will take advantage of the HD.

I really don't care which is better. I have been waiting on a purchase for a time when the market has decided which format it will be going with. Now it looks like it will be blu-ray.

You are saying that the PS3 is upgradeable to the 2.0 profile right?

I will be using component cables BTW.
A few notes,

NaitoSan needs to work on his english.
Blu-Ray is only better because hd-dvd is dead.

Otherwise,

The ps3 is a mixed bag compared to stand alone players when blu-ray movies are concerned. The ps3 does not support all the output formats listed in 3.0 spec, but could potentially do so if Sony wanted. As well the picture quality from the ps3 has been reported to be of lesser quality of a number of the better stand alone units. The PS3 as it is a software player, can be upgraded for as long as Sony wants to.

Using component cables is fine, until Blu-ray movies start using the BD+ DRM. At which point the video will be artificially downgraded to regular sdtv quality. To resolve that problem you need to use HDMI.

As for the resolution and your tv, most good blu-ray players will take a 1080p signal, and convert it into 1080i, giving you a virtually identical picture.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 06:43 PM   #7
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth
 
Mr Bigman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 4,959
Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

So why is blu ray the norm now?

Its more expensive than HD DVD and HD DVD is Ford where as Blu Ray is the BMW.

Why couldn't people go with the cheaper more easy to buy standard?

I actually thought BLU Ray was dying cuz of it being to pricey but people love it and studios are going to it.
__________________
EVGA X58 Tri SLI
Core I 7 3.7Ghz
12 gb corsair DDR3 1600
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB


_____________________________
having good looks and a good body is hard work.
Mr Bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-08, 09:09 PM   #8
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
NaitoSan needs to work on his english.
Give me a break. English is my second language and I try my best to proof read my posts. It's nearly impossible to master English when you're speaking in different language everyday. My primary language is American Sign Language (ASL) and I use it because I'm deaf. ASL has whole different grammar structuce so it's often confusing when writing in English. For you hearing people, you hear English being spoke everyday and learn from it, like how words are used, etc. I don't.

You really do have no idea how hard for me to learn English. Thanks.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-08, 01:06 AM   #9
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
You really do have no idea how hard for me to learn English. Thanks.
It is reportedly the second hardest language to learn after a dialect of mandarin Chinese. I can believe that completely as I have known english as a first language for 33 years and still have difficulties with university level composition. Even so, when you say "it's better than hd dvd for few reason." you are expected to backup that position with two or more references to why it is so. Rather than state something as a fact, and then simply continue without justification. And while I pointed out that you need to work on your english, I was neither overly critical of that, nor did I say it in a insulting way.
Furthermore, while I appreciate the fact that you are trying to learn English, I will not stop in my efforts to improve your usage of english.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 01:16 AM   #10
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
So why is blu ray the norm now?

Its more expensive than HD DVD and HD DVD is Ford where as Blu Ray is the BMW.

Why couldn't people go with the cheaper more easy to buy standard?

I actually thought BLU Ray was dying cuz of it being to pricey but people love it and studios are going to it.
The turning point in the competition between blu-ray and hd-dvd was a month or so ago when Fox and Warner were going to go fully hd-dvd. But, before they announced that, Fox was convinced to go to Blu-ray instead and Warner followed. This secured +70% of the international studio's under Blu-ray, and dictated who the winner is. Shortly after that, virtually everyone has snowballed onto the Blu-ray side, which reinforces that outcome.

Now it is purely educational to discuss exactly why Fox, just days before siding with hd-dvd switched. Most on the hd-dvd side say they were bought off, but most on the blu-ray side say it isn't true. Just as it is a educational discussion to figure out why a number of companies decided to invent the blu-ray standard after hd-dvd had been almost complete. As well as why people have sided with a more expensive format, which only has the benefit of 15gig more space and more DRM.

None of that changes the simple fact that blu-ray is victorious over hd-dvd.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 02:01 AM   #11
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
It is reportedly the second hardest language to learn after a dialect of mandarin Chinese. I can believe that completely as I have known english as a first language for 33 years and still have difficulties with university level composition. Even so, when you say "it's better than hd dvd for few reason." you are expected to backup that position with two or more references to why it is so. Rather than state something as a fact, and then simply continue without justification. And while I pointed out that you need to work on your english, I was neither overly critical of that, nor did I say it in a insulting way.
Furthermore, while I appreciate the fact that you are trying to learn English, I will not stop in my efforts to improve your usage of english.
Do you do this to everyone? Are you an instructor from school? Either way you have no right to have the power over me and tell me that I need to work on my English. I'm fully aware that my grammar needs work (look at my sig) and I continue to improve.

If nVJoe wants to know exactly why Blu-ray is better then I will explain in details. I have expressed my opinion on why Blu-ray is better in general and this isn't thesis paper otherwise I'd backup my opinion with more than several references.

But to be honest, you didn't backup your position on why Blu-ray is better because HD DVD is dead. Or your comments on Profile 3.0.

Do you know Profile 3.0 refers to audio only Blu-ray? It can be done via software and Sony said they will update PS3 when needed. But it's mainly for Blu-ray audio player. There's not much infomation on Profile 3.0 so we shouldn't worry about it. At least for now. There's rumors about Profile 4.0 where it may add iHD and other features.

I still stand by my opinion that Blu-ray is better.

-higher storage capacity than hd dvd discs (50 gb vs 30 gb)
-higher bandwidth (48mbit/sec vs 30mbit/sec)
-has more studio support (more movies)
-improved with codec/audio and now matches to hd dvd if not better
-has gaming support

But of course, only thing that keeps people from buying Blu-ray because:

-high cost
-region coding
-excessive copy protection
-players that aren't future-proof

Technically, Blu-ray is superior. If you're able to afford it, that is. Or wait until price drops. Region coding is old news... DVD has them. Soon all players will be profile 2.0 ready, and I'll bet that company will offer sort of rebate for early adopters. I'm not sure about excessive copy protection but it doesn't bother me much. Much larger storage capacity discs (100GB+) are on way in near future.

I used to HD DVD supporter but not anymore. And I hate combo discs.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-08, 02:01 AM   #12
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blue Ray on a 1080i TV

double post, sorry
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Science fiction author Ray Bradbury dead at 91 News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 01:50 PM
tv-out blue "blinking" chrisz NVIDIA Linux 3 10-04-02 04:04 PM
FS: Dual Cathode Kit (Blue and Red CCFLs) TSA For Sale/Trade 2 10-03-02 05:09 PM
TV-out - only white blue screen on TV zefme NVIDIA Linux 13 08-19-02 10:46 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.