Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-08, 02:42 PM   #13
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte
 
Imbroglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent
Blu-Ray wins, and the consumer loses.
+1 for no pricedrops anytime in the near future
__________________

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 02:55 PM   #14
nVJoe
Registered User
 
nVJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
What about mini-disc? Or all the other failed formats Sony has pitched over the years?
What about them? I was pointing out the two major media format wars. Minidisk was Sony's attempt and bringing a new media product. It doesn't compare to the VHS/Bettamax or HDDVD/Blu-ray wars.

I don't favor any company over any other. I just want a good affordable product. I am not a fanboy at all. Everyone here knows that. I am the antifanboy. I hate fanboys with a passion.
nVJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 03:16 PM   #15
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbroglio
+1 for no pricedrops anytime in the near future
actually, blu-ray won because their movies have sold more than hd dvd for many months (kinda funny since hd dvd players have sold more...). studios saw that and thats part of reason why they moved to blu-ray exclusive.

also, many player makers switched to blu-ray so we should expect more players and lower price in the near future. this is exactly like with dvd players years ago.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-08, 03:33 PM   #16
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
actually, blu-ray won because their movies have sold more than hd dvd for many months (kinda funny since hd dvd players have sold more...). studios saw that and thats part of reason why they moved to blu-ray exclusive.

also, many player makers switched to blu-ray so we should expect more players and lower price in the near future. this is exactly like with dvd players years ago.
one word defines naito: naive
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 09:38 AM   #17
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte
 
Imbroglio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,271
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
one word defines naito: naive


yeah i guess several hundred million in a boardroom had nothing to do with anyone's final decision. people around here really need to do some basic research before posting
__________________

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 02:02 PM   #18
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: The war is over

ah, now i see where you're coming from. not gonna argue.

i still stand by what i say that we will see lower price players in the near future. (read the bold words or do you need the glasses?)
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 03:05 PM   #19
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
one word defines naito: naive
why am i naive? it's facts from various sites, that blu-ray is usually doing well on movies. if people want hd dvd to win, why aren't people buying more movies? if hd dvd movies has been sold more and beat blu-ray then studios will be more likely to drop blu-ray format. unless you have proof that studios' decision isn't based on what consumers choose.

if you mean sony paid several studios to back blu-ray exclusive... those stories aren't even confirmed so we never know. i understand that several of you may be pissed and want to believe it's true so you can rub it on people's faces.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 11:05 PM   #20
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: The war is over

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
why am i naive? it's facts from various sites, that blu-ray is usually doing well on movies. if people want hd dvd to win, why aren't people buying more movies? if hd dvd movies has been sold more and beat blu-ray then studios will be more likely to drop blu-ray format. unless you have proof that studios' decision isn't based on what consumers choose.

if you mean sony paid several studios to back blu-ray exclusive... those stories aren't even confirmed so we never know. i understand that several of you may be pissed and want to believe it's true so you can rub it on people's faces.
for the 100th time. the average consumer is a sheep. that is the truth. people buy what they are told to buy. why do monster cables sell? because people are told to buy them. ****, why does advertising work at all? because people are told what to buy.

BD is the same thing. it's no different. people were told to buy BD, so they did. and many of them with 1.0 players will pay the price down the road. your argument that "the consumer chose BD" is true, but it's still BS. (figure that one out lol)
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-08, 11:51 PM   #21
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: The war is over

Vin is right. While I was out shopping for HD-DVDs and BDs I'd often heard less informed customers aka the average consumer, asking about Blu-ray, and when told about HD-DVD they'd say "What's that?" or "I already have a DVD player thanks, I want BD for my LCD/Plasma TV".
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-08, 11:55 PM   #22
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: The war is over

i don't know about customers being told to buy blu-ray. i'm deaf and never heard any kind of converstions at retailers. maybe i'll just take your words for it.

if toshiba actually put up more advertisers on hd dvd, things might be different...
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 12:05 AM   #23
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: The war is over

I'd reckon it would have. Here in AU there was no HD-DVD advertising, while BD had boat loads, most of it linked to the PS3.

HD-DVD more or less failed here from the start. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-08, 12:28 AM   #24
Dagan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 38
Default Re: The war is over

I think everyone need to realize that this *WAR* is based on maximum entertainment of todays distributed formats...You wanna cry about it go ahead cry about it, but the hard fact is what happened happened. If you think you can make them, as in Sony, pay for what they have done then try and not buy the hd format of choice. Heck boycott them but what is that going to do? Tell you what, I will tell you how much I love the picture and sound from my X named disc. I own both players and I and kinda happy that I will not have to buy different formats for different producers. People say sony if greedy and monopolistic.....blah blah blah....Why is Sony in business? *WE* as consumers keep Sony employed, funded, and R&D'ing. The so called monopolistic format winner....Call me a troll if you want, Ignore this post, you guys need to go out and change things or shut up about it. Stating facts mean nothing because the biggest state ever stated about this subject right now has already been documented..Go ahead eat it up guys...
__________________
Main Rig:
Intel C2D e6600 @ 3.5 - Evga 680i - 2 GB Mushkin Redline DDR2 1067 4-4-4-4-2T - Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10K RPM - BFG 8800GTX W/C'd Edition 660Mhz/2400Mhz - Dual Viewsonic VP-930B - Silverstone OP1000 - Logitech G7 - Razer eXactMat - Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Speakers

Mobile Gaming Rig:
Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 - 2.0GHz Pentium M Dothan - 1GB DDR-533 Ram - 60GB 7200RPM Harddrive - Nvidia Geforce Go 6800 Ultra - Sennheiser HD-555 Can
Dagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Napoleon: Total War Free Weekend and 50% off! News Gaming Headlines 0 06-15-12 12:30 AM
Naval War: Arctic Circle review News Archived News Items 0 06-08-12 09:20 PM
Warhorse: War Of The Roses Shows Off Mounted Combat News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 07:30 AM
Now Available - Total War: SHOGUN 2 - Fall of the Samurai DLCs News Archived News Items 0 05-30-12 02:40 PM
Total War: Shogun 2 Map Editor Totally Out Now News Archived News Items 0 05-24-12 02:50 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.