Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-29-08, 12:39 PM   #13
OsZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

For Linux newbees its not needed to install the drivers manually anyway as a lot of linux distros have got packages for it. If kernel updates are delivered the driver packages comes in line as well and no manual driver installation is needed again. I do not use Ubuntu (only in VM) but the drivers are delivered by ubuntu - please see attached. It should be the easiest way for all that are not so familar with manual install by selecting the driver from the package manager.

OsZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	30529  
OsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:45 PM   #14
Peter6218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

None of the Linux distro's I've worked with give full driver setups.

Every one has been missing the screen controls.

Things like gamma, contrast, brightness are missing.

When you are older, as I am, these are important as our vision is not what it used to be.
Peter6218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 12:52 PM   #15
OsZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

The GUI of nvidia driver X controls have got quite good settings possibilities (even the ones you just mentioned) which comes together with the driver, all to be setup in the GUI by mouse clicks - so easy for beginners. If exotic settings are needed (manual edit of xorg.conf) you need to read and study anyway and you will get familar with the X server and manual install of driver as well.

OsZ
OsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:05 PM   #16
Peter6218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsZ
The GUI of nvidia driver X controls have got quite good settings possibilities (even the ones you just mentioned) which comes together with the driver, all to be setup in the GUI by mouse clicks - so easy for beginners. If exotic settings are needed (manual edit of xorg.conf) you need to read and study anyway and you will get familar with the X server and manual install of driver as well.

OsZ
No I won't have to. If it takes that much then phooey!! You keep on with this programmer BS.

If you want Linux to be competitive with Windoze it has to be EASY to use. No programming knowledge necessary!!
Peter6218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:07 PM   #17
OsZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

your choice to use Windows. Do not use Linux in this case because

LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS

OsZ
OsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:14 PM   #18
Peter6218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsZ
your choice to use Windows. Do not use Linux in this case because

LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS

OsZ
And that attitude is exactly what's wrong with the Linux world.

Well done !!

Idiot !
Peter6218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:25 PM   #19
OsZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

I do not wanna get this thread (which started as nvidia driver install on ubuntu) to a general Linux - Windows discussion and you will not get me to get personal ... you should stop that kind of wording here. Linux is not going to be a compatitor but an alternative which makes a big difference and there is nothing wrong with. If you like Linux use it, if you dont like it stay with Windows, Mac OS 10, FreeBSD or much others which are great as well. Nobody forces you to use something you dont like.

OsZ
OsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 01:39 PM   #20
Peter6218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7
Default Re: Cant install the .run file

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsZ
I do not wanna get this thread (which started as nvidia driver install on ubuntu) to a general Linux - Windows discussion and you will not get me to get personal ... you should stop that kind of wording here. Linux is not going to be a compatitor but an alternative which makes a big difference and there is nothing wrong with. If you like Linux use it, if you dont like it stay with Windows, Mac OS 10, FreeBSD or much others which are great as well. Nobody forces you to use something you dont like.

OsZ
Quite correct nobody forces me to use Linux. I want to simply to get away from the incredible annoyances of Windows. Does that make sense to you?

Secondly it is time to have that Linux discussion you don't want to have. Most of the distros are now mature enough to get out there and go head to head with Windoze.

They have something to offer that Windows doesn't. Stability.

I've used various distro's for several years. I've tried to get others to use them. They won't because they are afraid they will have to learn programming, at least a bit. It is time to bring Linux to the common man. To simplify the interface to the point that it is as easy as Windows. This isn't rocket science it is common sense.

With Microsoft reeling from the latest EU assault there never will be a better time.

So why not start a thread where this discussion can be done thoroughly ?
Peter6218 is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mageia 2 Cannot Install 71.86.15 for Riva TNT/TNT2 kbulgrien NVIDIA Linux 3 06-29-12 08:27 AM
nForce + RedHat 7.3 Success Story rtz NVIDIA Linux 47 02-15-03 02:20 AM
RPM Source problems LaoTzuTao NVIDIA Linux 10 01-19-03 05:15 AM
Red Hat null(limbo beta 3), guide to install Nvidia Drivers utiel NVIDIA Linux 21 09-30-02 05:32 PM
can't install old det's after 40.41's m!n!0n NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 1 09-16-02 11:58 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.