Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-08, 07:18 PM   #61
dxx

Default Re: BD-ROM Drives for PC. Your thoughts?

I know it's probably not a great deal of use to be posting this now, but if I was to buy a new optical drive of any sort, I'd be buying myself a USB drive. This whole concept of having to bend down to get to your PC every time you want to put a disc in it, it just seems so old-hat. It was necessary five years ago, s'not anymore. Have a drive on your desk instead. Under your monitor, perhaps. Save yourself some bother.
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 07:21 PM   #62
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

uh I just move my arm over a couple of inches and hit the button to open up the tray, plop the disc in and push the tray
Old 02-27-08, 07:34 PM   #63
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxx
I know it's probably not a great deal of use to be posting this now, but if I was to buy a new optical drive of any sort, I'd be buying myself a USB drive. This whole concept of having to bend down to get to your PC every time you want to put a disc in it, it just seems so old-hat. It was necessary five years ago, s'not anymore. Have a drive on your desk instead. Under your monitor, perhaps. Save yourself some bother.
Wow...
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:13 AM   #64
DCult

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
GGW-H20L is ****ing amazing!

I have the read-only equivalent of this drive, the GGC-H20 and I have regretted not giving the extra 75Euros in order to have the writing functionality too, especially now that the format war is over.
DCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:29 AM   #65
nrdstrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu
uh I just move my arm over a couple of inches and hit the button to open up the tray, plop the disc in and push the tray
QFT....I really don't have to "bend over far" to put a disc in...LOL

On Any Given Sunday!
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 07:14 AM   #66
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxx
USB drives are slow, plus, my PC is in perfect hand distance, no reason to bend down.
Old 02-28-08, 10:20 AM   #67
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxx
i used to wonder why other countries referred to Americans as lazy. now, i finally understand.

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 10:21 AM   #68
Riptide

So if you use that nero plugin then you have to use showtime to playback the videos? Meh..
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-08, 10:40 AM   #69
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
So if you use that nero plugin then you have to use showtime to playback the videos? Meh..
yes, nero, cyberlink and intervideo HD codecs are rigged to only work in their players.
Old 02-28-08, 10:56 AM   #70
dxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
i used to wonder why other countries referred to Americans as lazy. now, i finally understand.

It's not laziness. It's just common sense to put something that you might need to use in a convenient place. Keep keys by the door, buy a house with a built-in bathroom, keep your discs near the player, keep the player near you. Seems only rational to me.

Personally, I don't touch my PC except to turn it on once every few days. I don't even have my optical drive plugged in. I only use it to install Windows anyway. But if I was of the persuasion of swapping discs regularly, I really would see no sense at all in moving over to my PC's base unit to swap discs. We did that in 1996, because there was no alternative. Now there are, it seems kinda pointless to stick with the old ways.

And I do find it amusing that I got three replies to my post. Is it really that radical an idea, or are you guys just that adverse to change?
dxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 08:57 PM   #71
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxx
It's not laziness. It's just common sense to put something that you might need to use in a convenient place. Keep keys by the door, buy a house with a built-in bathroom, keep your discs near the player, keep the player near you. Seems only rational to me.

Personally, I don't touch my PC except to turn it on once every few days. I don't even have my optical drive plugged in. I only use it to install Windows anyway. But if I was of the persuasion of swapping discs regularly, I really would see no sense at all in moving over to my PC's base unit to swap discs. We did that in 1996, because there was no alternative. Now there are, it seems kinda pointless to stick with the old ways.

And I do find it amusing that I got three replies to my post. Is it really that radical an idea, or are you guys just that adverse to change?
radical idea? adverse to change? LOL!

i have to move less than 2 feet to hit the button on my drives. furthermore, i dont load discs constantly when i am on my computer, so why would i care about it? the thought has never even crossed my mind to get a USB drive so i dont have to move. lol
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 11:43 PM   #72
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
radical idea? adverse to change? LOL!

i have to move less than 2 feet to hit the button on my drives. furthermore, i dont load discs constantly when i am on my computer, so why would i care about it? the thought has never even crossed my mind to get a USB drive so i dont have to move. lol
+1, I can reach my tower just fine from where I'm sitting. The fact of the matter is I would still have to get my lazy arse up if I actually wanted to get a disc because they are either behind me or on a shelf above my monitor.

If you were going for convience it would make more sense to make an iso of your disc and just keep all of the images stored somewhere. I barely use cds anymore because everything is just saved as a file, which also makes it install a lot faster.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote