Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-08, 01:09 PM   #1
a_small_cake

Default GF 9XXX support.

Hi, I'm going to buy one of the GF 9XXX card (Palit probably) but I would like to know when will it be officially supported by NVidia drivers. Can I get any official statement from NVidia staff?
a_small_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 06:13 AM   #2
a_small_cake

Default Re: GF 9XXX support.

Well, because you just ignored my post I bought GF8XXX (doesn't matter which one exactly). Next time I'm planning to buy AMD/ATI since they started to support Linux (oh I know you don't care but had to mention about it).
Old 03-04-08, 08:59 AM   #3
rev_b

Take it easy. Support is there already - running a 9600GT here. Shouldn't take long for official support (can't you wait 2-3 weeks?)
rev_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 10:14 AM   #4
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_small_cake
Well, because you just ignored my post I bought GF8XXX (doesn't matter which one exactly). Next time I'm planning to buy AMD/ATI since they started to support Linux (oh I know you don't care but had to mention about it).
AMD/ATI only started to release the specs (not everything, but almost there) so developers can start working on an opensource driver. Don't expect much any time soon.. and certainly don't expect performance/stability (although i truly hope it'll come at some point). For now nvidia is the only real solution if you want performance, stability and something that just works (well.. most of the times of course ). Oh and the current ati binary driver is not even a bad joke right now (unless you read phoronix, but they live in the year 2027 where ati released a proper driver).
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 12:07 PM   #5
a_small_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_b
Take it easy. Support is there already - running a 9600GT here. Shouldn't take long for official support (can't you wait 2-3 weeks?)
Now I feel depressed Well, next time I will be more patient.
Old 03-04-08, 02:02 PM   #6
rev_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_small_cake
Now I feel depressed Well, next time I will be more patient.
I guess it depends which 8xxx you got...

But for 165, this has to be the best "bang for the buck" card that I bought for many, many years..

This still isn't official support, as I installed drivers 171.05 that aren't intended for desktop cards, but they actually work with the 9600 GT.

Unfortunately you still don't get immediate drivers for Linux when new hardware is released, but you still don't get better support than Nvidia anywhere. ATi is still a nightmare with Linux. A shame, as the hardware is pretty decent.
rev_b is offline   Reply With Quote