Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-08, 03:31 PM   #13
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 196.12 is released

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
File semantics in Linux are such that there is no requirement to close files before replacing them (as there is in Windows).
X has a tendency to crash if you're not careful about replacing its drivers while it's running. This is probably solvable, but nobody bothered due to the bigger issue below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
I asked before why the installer poses this limitation, but got no farther than "there was some reason I don't remember exactly" or similar. But the pre-packaged drivers show that this is not really true.
The main reason is that the only way to know if a Linux kernel module built correctly is to attempt to load it. To do that, nvidia-installer must first unload the old module, which cannot be done while the X server is running. This allows the installer to fail gracefully and restore the original (working) kernel module. If the driver instead just installed the new module without testing it first, then the failure will occur when the user restarts the X server. At this point, a typical Linux newbie will conclude, "My Linux is broken," and needlessly reinstall the whole distro.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-08, 07:33 PM   #14
dmetz99

What is the newest kernel version known to work with this driver release?
dmetz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:10 AM   #15
tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetz99
What is the newest kernel version known to work with this driver release?
.24.*
tier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 02:38 AM   #16
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
X has a tendency to crash if you're not careful about replacing its drivers while it's running. This is probably solvable
It looks like the typical RPM or what-have-you installation of a driver as part of an update service does not run into this problem. On my SuSE system I can update the driver from within YaST running under X, and then restart X without trouble. And I think it is the same for similar packaged drivers on other distributions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
The main reason is that the only way to know if a Linux kernel module built correctly is to attempt to load it. To do that, nvidia-installer must first unload the old module, which cannot be done while the X server is running. This allows the installer to fail gracefully and restore the original (working) kernel module. If the driver instead just installed the new module without testing it first, then the failure will occur when the user restarts the X server. At this point, a typical Linux newbie will conclude, "My Linux is broken," and needlessly reinstall the whole distro.
Ok, I did not know that the installer even attempts such recovery. I agree it is nice to be able to do that, but at the same time it looks like a typical Linux newbie is having a hard time running a program without being in X. Look at the screenshot above. The fact that there is no consistent method to shutdown X that works on all modern systems makes it difficult to explain to the newbie. I wonder which of the two is worse...

Maybe it would be an idea to compile a simple module and try to load it, just to check that kernel version, header version and compilation tools do match and can produce a loadable module, and when that succeeds just compile the driver module and assume it will load OK.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 02:04 AM   #17
hoangnq

Does it support GeForce 7300GT on Mandriva Linux 2008.0 ?
I downloaded and installed fully the packages binutils, gcc and turned off X-server to install like it orders
But I have another error: "No kernel... found, do you want to connect to ftp://download.nvidia.com..." "Cannot connect...DNS error".

I used built-in Software Manager of Mandriva to search "nvidia" ,and installed the kernel nvidia71xx-kernel-2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv - nvidia71xx driver for kernel 2.6.22.18-desktop586-1mdv​ but the driver 169.12 doesn't work.

How can I do now ?
hoangnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-08, 03:12 AM   #18
tier

Read the sticky threads, you need the kernel sources.
tier is offline   Reply With Quote