Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-19-02, 08:02 AM   #73
StealthHawk

if you bothered reading the readme for UT2003 they said that the retail game with have textures that look 2x as good on average, the reason the demo doesn't have full quality is because they wanted to keep the file size down.

anyway, that much should be obvious since the highest quality settings available for Texture Detail is "normal." Character Detail also maxes out at "normal" so whether or not that means increased polys in the real version or just better textures is somewhat unclear.

edit: i would like to add that this is a deathmatch game, not a single player experience. the goal is to have the game run as fast as possible while looking nice. wait for Unreal 2 if you want nice graphics.
Old 09-19-02, 11:43 AM   #74
Master

Since this is thread regarding Tenebrae and not UT2003, I`m not going to say all I`d like, but Yes, it`s obvious to me that texture details is just Normal, as well as other options. And I didn`t mind that much the fact that textures aren`t that detailed in demo.
What I was talking about is, that after all that hype, UT2003 doesn`t make you say Oh my god, it`s unbelievably beautiful ! It`s not like when I ran Unreal 1 for the first time with 3dfx1 and saw all those effects.

And it`s definitely not like when I ran Tenebrae for the first time.

I mean, UT2003 is really nice, those 2 levels have great design, no problem with that. It`s just that they`re not that spectacular in graphics. Nevertheless the gameplay is great, since I`ve spent most of my current free time just playing UT.

I know I have to wait for Unreal2 to be amazed by graphics, I was just expecting UT to have similar look.

BTW, did anybody finish whole Quake in Tenebrae version ? I did, and I had a good fun again.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-02, 08:32 PM   #75
StealthHawk

Tenebrae doesn't look that great. the texture quality in particular is horrible, mainly because Quake 1's textures suck by today's standards. hopefully the retexturing project will be finished soon. i certainly can't wait for Tenebrae Quake with high quality textures.

secondly, the models in Tenebrae look just as bad as they did in Quake, and the animations suck. again, not the fault of Tenebrae's author, and i think he is working with some model interpolation for the next version or something.

i'm not exactly sure what this means
Quote:
-Automatic light extraction. (no dark maps anymore)
but it sounds like the levels will be brighter and so there will be less "ambience."

just pointing out that as great as Tenebrae is, it certainly isn't perfect and could/will be better in the future.

edit: you can start using the new high quality textures now, Quake never looked so good
Old 09-19-02, 10:13 PM   #76
sk8bloke22

erm, how do u change res in quake 1, for some reason i cant do it in the user interface, the res is just highlighted aat 640x480, and theres no way of selecting the other res options. is there like a command line or something, or do i need to get a patch.....
GFX: MSI 64 Geforce 4 Ti4200
SOUND: AUDIGY
sk8bloke22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-02, 12:51 AM   #77
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by sk8bloke22
erm, how do u change res in quake 1, for some reason i cant do it in the user interface, the res is just highlighted aat 640x480, and theres no way of selecting the other res options. is there like a command line or something, or do i need to get a patch.....
command line. look at page 2 of this thread for how to do it
Old 09-20-02, 02:20 AM   #78
Chalnoth

I just have to say that I finally decided to check this out. Running at 640x480x32 with 8-degree aniso and 2x FSAA on my Ti 4200, performance was very acceptable.

And wow, the game does look very, very cool with the updated graphics! At the same time, the levels really are poorly-designed for the new lighting, making too many areas just too dark. Now what we need to see is somebody take up the slack and design some new SP levels for Quake and the Tenebrae modification
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-02, 02:35 AM   #79
Chalnoth

Btw, is there any way to set mouselook to always on?
Old 09-20-02, 04:02 AM   #80
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Btw, is there any way to set mouselook to always on?
yes, use the autoexec.cfg and add +mlook

Old 09-20-02, 03:10 PM   #81
sk8bloke22

erm, whenever i type -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32 it just says 'unknown command "-width". ive been trying for ages to figure this out and no luck.

also, i highly recommend ppl getting the better textures, things really look ****ing amazing now, just need to up the res

textures can be downloaded here:

http://switch.to/qe1m1textures
GFX: MSI 64 Geforce 4 Ti4200
SOUND: AUDIGY
sk8bloke22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-02, 04:30 PM   #82
Chalnoth

They're not console commands, but command-line options.

That is, if you were running the program from the command prompt, you'd type:

tenebrae -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32

You can also edit a shortcut and where it says, "tenebrae.exe" type instead "tenebrae.exe -width 1024 -height 768 -bpp 32"
Old 09-20-02, 07:20 PM   #83
StealthHawk

i've found that some of those old textures don't seem to be getting replaced with the new ones. do you find that to be true as well?
Old 09-20-02, 07:33 PM   #84
Chalnoth

I didn't know the textures were supposed to be replaced. Everything looked mostly as it always had, except that it looked like the textures now had a bump map applied (presumably generated from the texture itself).