Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-08, 11:13 AM   #13
sjonesyster

Default Re: 169.12 Still Broken!

Oh for christs sake. Yea it isnt perfect, I had nvidia-settings working perfectly, all sliders did exactly what they were supposed to do with a 2.4 kernel, go to 2.6, and it breaks a lot of things, with the exact_same_driver, it isnt all nvidia people.
I dont really like having to export fsaa settings before running a game, but hey, Ill live with it.
whoever maintains the distros doesnt_always_consult with nvidia before updating the various kernels.
sjonesyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 02:01 PM   #14
drzoo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw_hu
You aren't forced to upgrade, so quit whining please.
Nice Flame. I AM forced to use these. There is no support for my 8800GT in earlier drivers. The corruption and shuttering in UT sucks and the game is not playable! People whining or not the fact is this is really the only game game in Linux that is worth playing and as of right now I can't. The second release of the driver did not address this. While I realize the card I purchased Is some what new, I was hoping with the second release of the driver, these issues would have been addressed. These problems are not Linux only. UT in windows, with my GT, experiences the same shutter issues(not as bad but still there). A hacked driver for the 9600GT seemed to smooth out the shuttering on the windows side for me so hopefully the next win driver release will be better. So far overall I'm not happy with this card. I don't care about Crisis or UT3 at the moment.....but hell there is no Lin installer for UT3 and never for Crisis. So I would think that at least UT2004 would be NV's bread and butter for the Lin side of things. Compiz was much smoother with my 5900XT than the GT that replaced it. I haven't even started looking into this yet. For those of us that are despratelly trying to get off of windows cause I will never use Vista, This is a pain and worth voicing some complaints with. I do appreciate NV providing decent support for Linux when they really don't have to. This is the reason I by NV and not ATI. I really hope people wake up from their MS nightmare and start pushing for more Lin support. Sorry to get on a small rant.

z
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 02:17 PM   #15
energyman76b

first of all. stuttering in UT2004 is a windows problem too. The thread in the windows forum is longer than an elephants trunk.

And the solution is known too. Just decrease the FPS a bit and stuttering is gone.

So how do you decrease the FPS a bit? Like with increasing image quality!

Wow. This solves the stuttering AND the corruption problem at the same time!

Oh, and for the rest of your whiney post: TLDNR
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 03:06 PM   #16
drzoo2

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
first of all. stuttering in UT2004 is a windows problem too. The thread in the windows forum is longer than an elephants trunk.

And the solution is known too. Just decrease the FPS a bit and stuttering is gone.

So how do you decrease the FPS a bit? Like with increasing image quality!

Wow. This solves the stuttering AND the corruption problem at the same time!

Oh, and for the rest of your whiney post: TLDNR
I run my card as high as possible and why wouldn't I. It's an 8800GT. A high end card. I didn't by it to get 300FPS in UT. I bought for the best image quality possible.
The hacked 9600 driver fixed the win side..like I said. By the way, since you have a hard time reading. The rest of the post is pretty pictures.

Is this high enough?

Or this?

But I still get this....

Btw, If your not going to add something positive don't post.
drzoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 09:19 PM   #17
Rainmaker87

I marvel at the whining of some folks on here (no one in particular, just in general), and feel inclined to remind you that we are lucky Nvida even has support for Linux, as there are so many pieces of hardware out there where the companies totally ignore the Linux community. I think we are quite lucky with the frequency of which Nvidia releases new drivers. And just remember, the people who fix these problems are people just like us, they make mistakes, and sometimes can't fix a problem.
Rainmaker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 10:44 PM   #18
logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker87
I marvel at the whining of some folks on here (no one in particular, just in general),
I marvel at your poor judgment. Did you and energyman76b really feel it was a good idea to respond to NVIDIA customers who've had to deal with long-lived driver bugs in an argumentative manner? Are you trying to create animous toward the NVIDIA community?

I suggest you leave it to the more level headed individuals here, namely forum moderators and/or NVIDIA employees.

Quote:
and feel inclined to remind you that we are lucky Nvida even has support for Linux,
They've chosen to support Linux and other operating systems. Should we accept lower quality drivers because we are using less popular operating systems? We're paying the same amount for the hardware as everyone else.

Quote:
I think we are quite lucky with the frequency of which Nvidia releases new drivers.
A major update every 6 months to support their new hardware line seems more like a requirement to me, as does the minor updates to fix trouble areas of a high severity.

Quote:
And just remember, the people who fix these problems are people just like us, they make mistakes, and sometimes can't fix a problem.
The difference is we're not employed by a Fortune 1000 company with customers to support.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 12:16 AM   #19
gorock

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw_hu
You aren't forced to upgrade, so quit whining please.
Those of us that have an 8800GT are actually forced to upgrade so quit offering unhelpful opinions please.
gorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-08, 03:37 AM   #20
Gregor A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2
But I still get this....
Same here ...
Gregor A. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-08, 04:35 AM   #21
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoo2
I run my card as high as possible and why wouldn't I. It's an 8800GT. A high end card. I didn't by it to get 300FPS in UT. I bought for the best image quality possible.
The hacked 9600 driver fixed the win side..like I said. By the way, since you have a hard time reading. The rest of the post is pretty pictures.

Btw, If your not going to add something positive don't post.
try without texture sharpening and with gamma correction for antialised lines.
Old 03-02-08, 05:04 AM   #22
Gregor A.

Quote:
try without texture sharpening and with gamma correction for antialised lines.
Last time as my drives was working, my computer shows more to NORTH.
Now I changed the position to NORTH NORTH WEST.
Maybe this is the problem?

@NVIDIA: PLEASE FIX THE FU***** DRIVERS !!!
Old 03-02-08, 05:15 AM   #23
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor A.
Last time as my drives was working, my computer shows more to NORTH.
Now I changed the position to NORTH NORTH WEST.
Maybe this is the problem?

@NVIDIA: PLEASE FIX THE FU***** DRIVERS !!!
wow, maybe you should ask someone to help you pulling your head out of your ass.
Old 03-02-08, 05:53 AM   #24
Gregor A.

Quote:
wow, maybe you should ask someone to help you pulling your head out of your ass.
You are the best...