Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-08, 10:37 AM   #13
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Default Re: C#?

Video Games, as least modern ones like Crysis or Call of Duty, are a completely different animal

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 01:47 PM   #14
Alaa
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox
Video Games, as least modern ones like Crysis or Call of Duty, are a completely different animal
Damn! I wanted to create my own Crysis! How different, by the way?
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 01:52 PM   #15
walterman
Rayne

Post Re: C#?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaa
Thanks for your reply. I started learning Java in my university then I took a small course about C++ and YES I was clueless when it came to pointers! But things went well later.

Anyway, in Java I could create GUI and I learned about OOP:Inheritance-Encapsulation-Exceptions I don't know if there were other stuff but I don't think they were deep enough to make me fully everything. So, I want to make a clean start to make up for everything I missed. btw, what language is mostly used in modern games?

Also don't forget to enlighten me with your "perfect combination".
You need a solid OOP knowledge for almost any language today. Personally i think that you should have some basic concepts about CPUs before starting with pointers in C.

Games are usually written in C++ (and maybe with some SSE intrinsics, which i highly doubt). They also use HLSL to write the shader programs. Assembler is rarely used today, the compilers do a very good job, but, it was a must in the past when we had i486 66 MHz machines to run DooM 1 / Duke3D / Quake 1 / ... Today you can use SSE intrinsics in C++ to optimize your apps, or you also can use the Intel C++ classes, which are highly optimized, and from my experience, much more easy to use than the intrinsics.
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 02:04 PM   #16
Alaa
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterman
You need a solid OOP knowledge for almost any language today. Personally i think that you should have some basic concepts about CPUs before starting with pointers in C.

Games are usually written in C++ (and maybe with some SSE intrinsics, which i highly doubt). They also use HLSL to write the shader programs. Assembler is rarely used today, the compilers do a very good job, but, it was a must in the past when we had i486 66 MHz machines to run DooM 1 / Duke3D / Quake 1 / ... Today you can use SSE intrinsics in C++ to optimize your apps, or you also can use the Intel C++ classes, which are highly optimized, and from my experience, much more easy to use than the intrinsics.
Thanks for the info. So, what do you recommend beside learning C# in the future?
Old 03-04-08, 02:38 PM   #17
walterman
Rayne

C/C++/C#/Java

You can cover a lot of fields with those languages. And you said that you have SQL knowledge too.
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver) | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200 | Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch
walterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-08, 02:51 PM   #18
Alaa
Peace

I will probably have SQL knowledge in the next 2 years. Thanks for your much appreciated help!
Old 03-04-08, 07:08 PM   #19
rhink

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I started learning Java in my university then I took a small course about C++ and YES I was clueless when it came to pointers! But things went well later.

Anyway, in Java I could create GUI and I learned about OOP:Inheritance-Encapsulation-Exceptions I don't know if there were other stuff but I don't think they were deep enough to make me fully everything. So, I want to make a clean start to make up for everything I missed. btw, what language is mostly used in modern games?

Also don't forget to enlighten me with your "perfect combination".
Dunno if there is a "perfect combination".... like I said, it depends on where you want to go. C# and SQL probably isn't going to help you write crysis, but skills gained working with C# could certainly apply. Like others said, C or C++ is going to be used in most games, just for performance reasons (no one wants Crysis freezing for 5 seconds in the middle of an intense moment to garbage collect!). I suppose the byte code style languages (ie, Java) with JIT compiling could be fast enough, you'd still have to be very cautious about managing the garbage collector, though.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-08, 01:29 PM   #20
Alaa
Peace

I was just kidding. I just want to learn stuff for job opportunities.

Old 03-07-08, 11:56 PM   #21
Absolution
AbsoUI

Ill throw in my two cents of ramble.

c# is a wonderful language to learn if you aren't doing anything too advanced (which is probably 90% of programmers out there), to be honest, if your developing any general windows application, c# is the way to go. Its relatively fast, easy to program in, and has a solid framework. You don't have the odd bugs and memory leaks of c++.

If you want to get into low level stuff, such as programing drivers, c++/asm is what you need. It offers higher performance and it also can be optimized better than c#.

If you guys want to know something fun about 64bit programing, I'll tell ya. There should be a performance increase from applications that are build from the ground up in x64 instruction set. Most people would have you believe that there is nill performance gain. Well, thats cause:

1) The application is running in 32bit compatibility mode
2) The application was compiled in x64 but written primarily for x86
3) The program is compiled in x64, yet still uses the x86 instruction set (see FarCry x64).

The thing about Far Cry, it keeps switching instruction sets in game (yes, you can do that). Thats why there is no performance increase. Almost all games (well written games) write a lot of their math calculation (think vectors) in pure assembly, such as Far Cry. However, when they recompiled it in x64, they never modified these math libraries - so they are still running in x86! BAD CRYTECH!

So ya, a lot of games use SSE - but a lot don't use them correctly.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-08, 03:17 AM   #22
Alaa
Peace

And what about business solutions for companies? Is C# useful in that area?
Old 03-08-08, 09:06 AM   #23
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
And what about business solutions for companies? Is C# useful in that area?
it really depends on the company. most companies use java (non-gaming companies) because it is a widely used and accepted language. One that same note, the company I work for also writes pro*c (sql infused C) and sqr (proprietary oracle forms). Since the company uses C, they are more apt to hire C devs without java experience then they are to hire java devs without C experience. From a corporate standpoint we can't afford people that don't understand or use proper memory management. OOP skills are beneficial but imho aren't nearly as difficult to pickup than correct memory handling.

sql is beneficial, but when looking for jobs try not to make a big fuss about it, as most people can pick it up in a matter of days. If I were you I'd start with the basics, java or c/c++ then move on to .net from there, more doors will open for you with java and c/c++ knowledge than anything else.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-08, 12:13 PM   #24
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhink
Dunno if there is a "perfect combination".... like I said, it depends on where you want to go. C# and SQL probably isn't going to help you write crysis, but skills gained working with C# could certainly apply. Like others said, C or C++ is going to be used in most games, just for performance reasons (no one wants Crysis freezing for 5 seconds in the middle of an intense moment to garbage collect!). I suppose the byte code style languages (ie, Java) with JIT compiling could be fast enough, you'd still have to be very cautious about managing the garbage collector, though.
C# is also a JIT compiled language... And in C# you can actually create unsafe code where you manage pointers on your own and garbage collect on your own if you need the performance.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W