Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-06-08, 10:44 AM   #1
Thork

Default 8800GT and 169.* - System locks on X loading nvidia_drv.so

I was hoping that 169.12 might fix this, but it doesn't so I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas.

I recently upgraded from an ATi 9800XT (which gave up spectacularly at the end of January) and bought an Asus EN8800GT. Despite the numerous issues with the ATi card (before it died), it worked in Linux fairly well. Currently the only way I can get the 8800GT to work is with the vesa driver.

I've tried both Fedora Core 7 32-bit and Fedora 8 64-bit with the 169.09 driver, and Fedora 8 64-bit with the 169.12 driver, and I get the same problem with all of them: starting X locks pretty much the entire system (100% CPU load, monitors blackout and stop receiving signal, no keyboard response, can't SSH in or change to another TTY, but the system does respond to the Num/Caps/Scroll Lock keys, oddly).

In the 169.09 driver I was also getting (on both FC7 and F8 if I recall):

(WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0xfc000000 e: 0xfc000000 correcting

in the Xorg log, but I don't seem to be getting that anymore. The kernel module loads fine, the GLX module loads fine, it seems to be as soon as X loads nvidia_drv.so that it all goes wrong.

Any ideas?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (122.0 KB, 108 views)
Thork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 11:02 AM   #2
kel

Default Re: 8800GT and 169.* - System locks on X loading nvidia_drv.so

After quickly scanning over the report this caught my eye:

/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce 8800 GT
IRQ: 18
Video BIOS: ??.??.??.??.??
Card Type: PCI-E
DMA Size: 32 bits
DMA Mask: 0xffffffff
Bus Location: 01.00.0

Is there a chance that the bios on the card is somehow shot? Even on my 9600gt the bios version gets reported correctly and that card isn't even officially supported yet...
Did you ever try the card under windows or are you running linux only?
Ofc it might just be a glitch in the software but it does seem a rather odd...

As you've run an Ati card before your xorg.conf might also be messed up - here's the very basic one I'm using as a point of reference - it was generated with nvidia-settings:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Tue Jan 22 18:36:43 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "ViewSonic VX2025wm"
HorizSync 30.0 - 82.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 9600 GT"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "1680x1050 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-08, 11:18 AM   #3
Thork

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel
After quickly scanning over the report this caught my eye:

/proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce 8800 GT
IRQ: 18
Video BIOS: ??.??.??.??.??
Card Type: PCI-E
DMA Size: 32 bits
DMA Mask: 0xffffffff
Bus Location: 01.00.0

Is there a chance that the bios on the card is somehow shot? Even on my 9600gt the bios version gets reported correctly and that card isn't even officially supported yet...
Did you ever try the card under windows or are you running linux only?
I'll admit that always struck me as odd, but I've seen other posts on here from people who get the same thing and their card still works. The card does, however, work fine in Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel
As you've run an Ati card before your xorg.conf might also be messed up
I only had that card in when i was running FC7, and have installed Fedora 8 since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel
here's the very basic one I'm using as a point of reference - it was generated with nvidia-settings:
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

EDIT: It was worth a go, but still no change in outcome. It loads all the additional module that you have in your xorg.conf which I hadn't bothered putting in mine, but still dies. That said though: it doesn't even say it's loading the driver this time, it appears to be dying on loading libtype1.so, but I think that's probably just due to the fact that the logfile hadn't synced to disk by the time I restarted.
Old 03-06-08, 12:16 PM   #4
Thork

Ok, I am still getting the
(WW) ****INVALID MEM ALLOCATION**** b: 0xce000000 e: 0xce000000 correcting
line...sometimes.

I just started X with -verbose 5 -logverbose 5 to get a bit more information. This time it appears to have loaded the driver succesfully, and it recognises the card, proceeds to load framebuffer modules.

Now the last thing I get in the Xorg log is:

Code:
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(II) Enabling PCI device
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "TwinView" "0"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "MetaModes" "1280x1024 +0+0"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT, DFP, TV"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     enabled.
(Note I added the IgnoreDisplayDevices line after reading something in an nVidia read me file about X taking several minutes to start, but this apparently isn't the problem I'm having)
Old 03-06-08, 06:04 PM   #5
logan

I know this doesn't help much, but I've seen someone else here with a working ASUS EN8800GT, well except for the whole temperature sensor thing, it appears to be working well.

Any bios updates for the video card and/or motherboard?

That "INVALID MEM ALLOCATION" sounds like it'd be more of a software thing..
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 01:57 PM   #6
Thork

Hmm, to confirm it wasn't something odd with my Fedora install, I've tried Ubuntu aswell now, which gives a very similar error. Starting X gives me no signal to the monitor, but it doesn't max out the CPU under Ubuntu it doesn't seem (or at least my CPU fan doesn't kick into gear)

I've also seen threads on here now confirming that this exact card works (in the loosest sense, as they too were having other issues) in Fedora 8 with my kernel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan
Any bios updates for the video card and/or motherboard?
The motherboard in this system (Abit AN-8) is a few years old now, and the BIOS is dated April 2005, so it may be worth doing that. As for the memory allocation thing, I have a slight clue as to why that might be coming up now, as in dmesg I've got "PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 3 of device 0000:01:00.0" - the position on the PCI bus for this card (also the 3rd resource region is the one whose addresses match the area of memory that X is failing to allocate, unsurprisingly).

BIOS update it may have to be as the last thing to try.
Old 03-07-08, 04:33 PM   #7
logan

V62.92.12.00.AS01 is the latest bios for your card, which has a release date of 2007/11/05, so that's probably what's already on there.. Maybe reflashing with the same version will help, or maybe it's a defective card... :/

Have you tried it in Windows with NVIDIA's drivers? If you don't have any extra partitions on your drive, you could install it on the swap partition (if it's large enough), then recreate on the next boot (mkswap /dev/hdaN ; swapon -a). If you try this, be sure to have a grub cd or other rescue disk so you can get back in and restore the boot loader.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 05:03 PM   #8
Thork

Yeah, I'm dual-booting this machine, and it works fine in Windows with the nVidia drivers. Given the date of the last Video BIOS and when I bought this card, yeah I think it's probably that one on there anyway. And the card does work in Linux if I use the VESA drivers, so I'm fairly certain the card is fine.

When a get a few spare minutes, I'll try flashing the motherboard BIOS, as it's advanced about five revisions since I got it.

Old 03-07-08, 05:14 PM   #9
synthaxx

Registered here after i found your problem in google.

I have exactly the same problem. And i've been trying since last year to fix it.
I've tried it with Ubuntu 7.04, 7.10 and now 8.04 beta. Tried the 32 and 64bit versions of all of these, and all driver versions (169.04, 07, 09, 12).

Manual install, install via envy, it doesn't make any difference. It locks the system and stops at the exact same point you showed in the xorg.0.log.

Funny thing is, i dropped my ATI card for the exact same reason and thought that i couldn't go wrong with an NVidia (Also an ASUS EN8800GT btw).

How wrong i was.

/edit: added my log files (both normal and verbose).

Also tried these kernel settings (and all permutations): noapic nolapic irqfix pci=nommconf iommu=off

/edit2: (sorry about this)
some more threads, same problem here and here also without solutions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (12.3 KB, 96 views)
synthaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 05:49 PM   #10
Thork

Damn. Oh well, there goes the BIOS idea... that is unless you happen to have the same motherboard as me too (Abit AN-8, PhoenixBIOS v6.00PG 04/25/2005), which would be far too much of a coincidence.

EDIT: Having looked at a number of the bug reports there doesn't appear to be a common factor, I've seen reports of this issue now on different processors (both Intel and AMD) on entirely different motherboards, with loads of different distros. Also it appears not to just be the 8800GT either...

EDIT 2: Backtracking slightly, I'm looking at a different bug report here which has the same problem, same card, same memory warning and more importantly: same BIOS... Maybe it's not so unreasonable after all...
Old 03-07-08, 07:25 PM   #11
synthaxx

I think you're right!

"nVidia Corporation CK804" (NForce 2)

It's also in mine ,which i forgot to add (i allready sent this one to NVidia some time ago).
Maybe it's time to get a dev in here, and pick his brain.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (102.7 KB, 99 views)
synthaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-08, 07:39 PM   #12
betterthanclay

I'm having the exact same problem with a BFG 8800GT i got in the post this morning, running in PcLinuxOs. It's driving me to distraction.

I've tried every driver available, and many different xorg configurations, and without fail, my pc locks up as X starts. The only way I can boot is if I use vesa, which is of little use to me as I require dual screen for my work.

The card has the latest bios and is awesome in Windows. It's a shame I absolutely detest working in that environment, heh.

I'm currently using an Epox EP-9NPA+ with an Athlon 64 3500+. It's a little old now.. I might try updating the mobo bios, see if that does anything. I'm extremely reluctant to return the card as it was a very good price, and is a brilliant performer in windows.
betterthanclay is offline   Reply With Quote