Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-08, 02:49 PM   #37
psychogmv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 66
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

IMO, it doesn't make sense to say that Blu-ray player prices are going up due to lack of competition. It is just a format, it is not a product. The real product is the player, and you have plenty competition there: sony, philips, samsung, panasonic, and maybe toshiba. Not to say the other brands, like oppo, pioneer, etc. So now it is time that these companies start fighting each other to put the lowest price in the market, scaling the production and making it more efficient. I believe that I read somewhere a while ago that only the blu-ray Led is $100. Not to mention the whole hardware to decode it.
As for the movies, this is a problem not only for blu-ray, but for all other types of media. But this one the greatest competition is
__________________
Dell XPS 15 L502X | Core i5-2410M | 4GB RAM | GeForce 525M 1GB | 1920x1080 BGR-LED

Playstation 3

Nintendo Wii
psychogmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 04:05 PM   #38
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
there is no 1.2 either

it goes 1.0, 1.1 and then 2.0
oh yeah must have gotten numbers mixed up.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 04:17 PM   #39
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
When you buy a $400 player, you expect to get all the bells and whistles. Seeing the movie may matter the most, but loosing the additional functionality at that price really blows.
that's the problem for early adopters. they should be aware before buying and be one of first owner on the block. if you look around you'll see almost all features doesn't take advtange of internet access or pip. i don't consider it a major loss. sony already announced lower price blu-ray players end of 2008.

same idea when you go and buy first generation hdtv then second generation hdtv has more features, or buy a video card and later, better video card comes out that offers free AA or offers directx 11 features, blah blah. nothing new.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 10:05 PM   #40
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

More reports of rising blu-ray player prices http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 10:26 PM   #41
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
More reports of rising blu-ray player prices http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36428/113/
Again... no ****! Lack of competition means they don't have to lose money on the players anymore... now its either their media or no HD Media.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 10:56 PM   #42
Zapablast05
ZapaFAILmaster of Merwang
 
Zapablast05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Carson, CA
Posts: 3,133
Send a message via AIM to Zapablast05
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
I swear i shouldn't say this but this guy has a bullsye on his forehead.

Bush is going to go down as one of the worse presidents in history.

Bad everywhere but the rich aren't effected so if any of you who have millions like the Dartheavis guy, than Bush isn't effecting you any.

I boaght a buch of HDDVD's and like them alot.

This Blu Ray thing is a joke and the devs should offer movies on both formats.
+1

I'm looking at buying a 360 HDDVD Player add-on since it's only $50. Probably the only movies I'll own for it are the Harry Potter movies, I Am legend, 300, and any other titles that appeal me.
__________________

Xbox Live: Zapablast05 click!|3DMark06: 17,001|
PSN: Zapablast05
Originally Posted by crainger: "Come meet my son Zapablast05"
Originally Posted by crainger: A truck wont get the pussy zapa has become accustomed to.
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL: In fact, I measure years in BC and AC (before Camp0rz and after Camp0rz).
I don't want to get you drunk, but, ah, that's a very fine Chardonnay you're not drinking.
Zapablast05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 11:34 PM   #43
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
that's the problem for early adopters. they should be aware before buying and be one of first owner on the block. if you look around you'll see almost all features doesn't take advtange of internet access or pip. i don't consider it a major loss. sony already announced lower price blu-ray players end of 2008.

same idea when you go and buy first generation hdtv then second generation hdtv has more features, or buy a video card and later, better video card comes out that offers free AA or offers directx 11 features, blah blah. nothing new.
no offense, but tbh idk how you consider this a reasonable response.

sure early adopters of hardware have it rough at first, BUT things eventually get better with the release of newer drivers. but these people that bought the first BD players are just SOL. not even an update can help them. that's just bad business.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 11:38 PM   #44
AthlonXP1800
Registered User
 
AthlonXP1800's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,352
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapablast05
+1

I'm looking at buying a 360 HDDVD Player add-on since it's only $50. Probably the only movies I'll own for it are the Harry Potter movies, I Am legend, 300, and any other titles that appeal me.
You can find Xbox 360 HD-DVD player for less than $50, I found one for $34.99.
__________________
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-08, 02:31 AM   #45
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
no offense, but tbh idk how you consider this a reasonable response.
He works for Sony PR.

Also, "Xbox is not currently in talks with Sony or the Blu-ray Association to integrate Blu-ray into the Xbox experience," http://www.reuters.com/article/reute...24707720080313
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 04:29 AM   #46
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Yep, I work for Sony PR.

ViN86, well that's just my opinion. I know it doesn't apply to everyone.

I'm just glad my PS3 is future-proof, at least up to Profile 2.0. I warned everyone, my friends and my family if they plan to buy Blu-ray players they should wait for at least 2.0 or upgradable players. Half of them don't care about PiP or network access, so oh well that's fine for them.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 07:44 AM   #47
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
I'm just glad my PS3 is future-proof, at least up to Profile 2.0. I warned everyone, my friends and my family if they plan to buy Blu-ray players they should wait for at least 2.0 or upgradable players. Half of them don't care about PiP or network access, so oh well that's fine for them.
just like my PC drive is, but software players really aren't the best.
__________________
Windows 8 the next big failure, right after Windows ME
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 09:13 PM   #48
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Blu-ray prices go up following HD DVD's death

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
Yep, I work for Sony PR.

ViN86, well that's just my opinion. I know it doesn't apply to everyone.

I'm just glad my PS3 is future-proof, at least up to Profile 2.0. I warned everyone, my friends and my family if they plan to buy Blu-ray players they should wait for at least 2.0 or upgradable players. Half of them don't care about PiP or network access, so oh well that's fine for them.
well ok then
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.