Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-28-08, 12:04 AM   #13
dave370

Default Re: Don't want Metamode functionality

Okay, now I've half fixed the problem. I added the line

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = aspect-scaled"

to xorg.conf. I had done this before with my 32bit Fedora Installation and it didn't work (Also through the Nvidia Utility).

Now when I go into Star Trek: Armada II (I haven't tested any other games yet), the intro movies at the beginning of the game which I believe attempt to display at 640x480 work (i.e. At 4:3 on a 16:10 monitor black bars to the side, exactly how I like 4:3 games to work). But when it attempts to go to the Menu the right side of the screen and the bottom part are both cut off. I believe this is because it went from 640x480 to 800x600 but the screen is only showing 640x480 pixels (Sort of like my previous problem except now with 2 4:3 resolutions).

Also just like before, the Monitor is reporting that it is at 1680x1050 even when I go to the 4:3 resolutions fullscreen. I hate this strange functionality and would prefer that if an application wants to change to it's desired resolution, it should do so. This functionality is what is probably causing the problem anyway.
dave370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-08, 04:47 AM   #14
xbobmx

Default Re: Don't want Metamode functionality

If you want to always set the "real" mode for your flatpanel, use `Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native".

However, a lot of monitors (especially flatpanels) are picky about their timings and/or report restrictive timings in their EDID, and won't allow modes like 640x480. You can also try the X config option "ExactModeTimingsDVI", and some combination of ModeValidationOverrides or IgnoreEDID + specifying sync ranges as a last resort.
xbobmx is offline   Reply With Quote