Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-05-03, 07:51 PM   #1
omv

Default Problems compiling/linking opengl app with RH9 & Det 43.69

I'm getting some strange problems when trying to build opengl code with the NV drivers (43.69). Basically, its unable to find symbols from the glut library. 43.49 showed similar behavior

However, I am able to build the same example file on my laptop thats using the stock RH9 opengl libs.

Since I can run opengl apps just fine, I assume the NV libgl is okay - do I have to rebuild glut or something?

[omv@pc102 ~/example2]$ make
g++ --pedantic -ansi -Wall -O3 -o example2 -L. -L/usr/X11R6/lib example2.o
-lGd -lglut -lGL -lGLU -lXmu -lXext -lXi -lX11 -lm
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/../../../libglut.so: undefined referenc
e to `glXBindChannelToWindowSGIX'
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2.2/../../../libglut.so: undefined referenc
e to `glXQueryChannelDeltasSGIX'
omv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-03, 08:15 PM   #2
bwkaz

Yes, you have to rebuild glut. The version of glut that you have is SGI's original version, from way the heck back when OpenGL didn't support dynamic extension querying yet (or so I'm told anyway). So the SGI glut library just statically bound to the symbols that your system is telling you aren't resolving -- glXBindChannelToWindowSGIX is the hallmark of this type of problem.

The GL drivers are not required to implement this extension, and glut libraries are supposed to just fail gracefully (AKA turn off the use of that extension) when it doesn't exist.

Anyway, yes, if you get the latest Mesa glut package (which I've posted instructions for compiling once here already -- do a search for the functions that aren't defined, and you should find the thread) and compile it yourself, it won't have that problem.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-03, 12:06 AM   #3
omv

Thanks - it'd be nice if there was a bit more in the driver README about this. It was bad enough that the default behavior of the latest installer removed my gl.h. {grumble grumble}
omv is offline   Reply With Quote