Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-23-07, 09:47 PM   #1
Clay

Question Installing Alpine PKG-RSE2

Recently bought a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Didn't like the factory DVD option or even the other Mopar options so bought one without the DVD.

So, thinking about getting the Alpine PKG-RSE2 and wondering how difficult it might be to install myself. Anyone have any experience with something like this?
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 09:25 AM   #2
Clay

Default Re: Installing Alpine PKG-RSE2

Ok, I'm probably making it more complicated than it is. Looking at the installation section (p.26 here) shows the wiring diagram. I guess I'm just hesitant about cutting into the headliner, not knowing really how to get the wiring connected from that point, etc.
Old 06-24-07, 03:47 PM   #3
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
Not sure, AFAIK, it just has power and ground connections. Being it's wireless to headphones for audio, it doesn't need more than that.
That is what I would have thought too. I took a peek at the link Clay showed, and I'm wondering why the heck it needs to have a door sensor, an accessory panel wire, and a dome light wire.

The best idea Clay would be to see if you can see where the dome light wires travel as you might be able to follow the same path. The only hole you should really need through the headliner would be underneath the player so you shouldn't see it. I'm not very good with that type of wiring so I'm not sure what else to suggest.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 04:28 PM   #4
Rytr
SuperMod

I would call one of the local Alpine dealer for a custom installation. You might get a reasonable deal with an install package. Can save some headaches as many times they have specialized kits.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 04:43 PM   #5
Clay

It needs a dome light wire because it, too, has a dome light. Good ideas guys, thanks. I may just opt for it to be installed by one of the local a/v shops if that isn't too expensive.
Old 06-24-07, 10:22 PM   #6
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
It needs a dome light wire because it, too, has a dome light. Good ideas guys, thanks. I may just opt for it to be installed by one of the local a/v shops if that isn't too expensive.
I think that is probably the best idea since they would have a better idea on how their equipment works. I wonder if it was designed so that you can remove your exsisting dome light and put the player in place of it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 11:21 PM   #7
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I think that is probably the best idea since they would have a better idea on how their equipment works. I wonder if it was designed so that you can remove your exsisting dome light and put the player in place of it.
That's how mine is going to be setup. I'm getting mine done by the local Alpine dealer. I just hope it'll fade in and out smoothly like the factory dome light.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 11:36 PM   #8
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
That's how mine is going to be setup. I'm getting mine done by the local Alpine dealer. I just hope it'll fade in and out smoothly like the factory dome light.
Cool, let me know how it goes for you. I'll probably sleep better if I have a reputable installer do it.

Old 06-25-07, 07:42 AM   #9
Clay

Yeah, I'm all for having a scape goat in this case the more I think about it.
Old 03-13-08, 12:16 AM   #10
Jumanji

I am very interested to hear how this turned out. I too have a 2007 Grand Caravan SXT and am trying to figure out how it would look with the rear air controls in the centre. I've also been debating installing 2 units if it doesn't work in the center.
Jumanji is offline   Reply With Quote